ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The perfect line and other riding myths (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Killboy failure Dragon Fest (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454662)

Recker1 04-23-2011 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PFFOG (Post 15742297)
just be courteous, AND safe, and let them go by.

Right - and my point is that that's not always possible, especially on a road like this.

As an aside, the bike/vehicle/truck/pedestrian/whatever in front always, always has the right of way, period. While I'd agree with you in most scenarios, on a road like this, I'd be seriously pissed off if some a-hole distracted me from behind while I'm focusing 100% of my concentration on not biting it myself.

PFFOG 04-23-2011 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Recker1 (Post 15742361)
Right - and my point is that that's not always possible, especially on a road like this.

As an aside, the bike/vehicle/truck/pedestrian/whatever in front always, always has the right of way, period. While I'd agree with you in most scenarios, on a road like this, I'd be seriously pissed off if some a-hole distracted me from behind while I'm focusing 100% of my concentration on not biting it myself.

IT is ALWAYS possible to move to the fog line an check up for a second or two. It happens in Europe all the time on roads MUCH twistier, narrower, and blinder.

And once they go by, watch them for a corner or two and learn something. On 2 wheels there is NO road too narrow to allow a pass.

windmill 04-23-2011 09:46 PM

I will never understand the mind set of squids, why does the desire to go fast trump all other motorists rights to be on the road? I dont like being held up by a slow vehicle but I am mature enough to respect their right to be on public roads and that I don't have the right make decisions for them.

Pirates and granny don't go to the local track to do their thing.

Most folks have the character and wisdom to recognize there is a time and place for everything, some can't see beyond their own self centered desires.

Zerk 04-23-2011 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by windmill (Post 15743362)
I will never understand the mind set of squids, why does the desire to go fast trump all other motorists rights to be on the road?

Have you seen the anti cruiser threads here?:lol3

But I agree with you.

Myopic 04-23-2011 09:50 PM

I've never met an ipa i did'nt like.

kg4lho 04-23-2011 09:52 PM

When you are comfortable, check up, move to the right of your lane, and wave someone by in a straight. I have been on this road. I have given and received wave by's between turns. You know when someone faster than you is behind you. That is a distraction and you are safer to let them by. Not because they will run you over or try a bone head pass like the one above, but because you are not completely focused on the road ahead of you. Also, some of you talk about not trusting someone's ability to pass you?? I worry more about people behind me running into me! I would rather let them by and react to their choices than be intimately involved in them.

Look, the dragon is a destination and not a route for most folks. Everyone is there to ride, some faster than others. But like any other patch of asphalt, you aren't in a bubble, just cause you're in the right don't mean someone else will always yield to you. Not sayin' it's right, just sayin' sometimes, due to decisions by both parties, that's what happens.

DAKEZ 04-23-2011 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwalsh (Post 15739172)
Not everyones willing to risk getting a ticket just to appease the squids behind them.

Slow traffic moves right applies to two or more lanes in the same direction. Letting some dumbass squid by you have never met could be a very bad thing.

No one is saying to risk getting a ticket. Just move to the right side of the lane and wave the rider by with your left hand. In July '08' I was on my way to Montana on highway 12.
http://dakez.smugmug.com/Motorcycles...0%282%29-L.jpg

It was a beautiful day and though I had ridden and driven the road over a hundred times and have pushed it hard at times on bikes and cars… This day I was taking it slow and enjoying the trip.

The national BMW rally was in Wyoming in a couple of days so there were a lot of great riders enjoying the road in a different and much faster way that I chose to that day. Every time I saw a solo rider or group of riders coming in my mirrors I pulled to the right and waved them past.

It is not hard. It is very courteous and they were very appreciative of it as I later found out when I pulled off at the pass to chat with about 30 of them that had pulled off to take a break before heading down the Montana side.

It is the right thing to do as a rider and you don't need multiple lanes to be nice and pull right. :deal

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwalsh (Post 15739948)
I agree. If there is a place to pull over fine. I didn't see one in that video.

12' lane and a 28" wide bike... What more space do you need?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwalsh (Post 15739172)
You could be held liable if he ran into an oncoming vehicle or had an accident in general.

:loco

250senuf 04-23-2011 10:15 PM

More squid vid?

I think the conversation between Squid, AlmostRunIntoCarDriver, Mr. Blinky Light and Mr. Cameraman would be interesting. I wonder if the camera kept recording? :wink:

windmill 04-23-2011 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kg4lho (Post 15743401)

Look, the dragon is a destination and not a route for most folks. Everyone is there to ride, some faster than others.

I guess its being in the middle of a National Park and National Forest escaped you notice?

B.Curvin 04-23-2011 10:21 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ldpeculier.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...uckyeah8ql.gif

DAKEZ 04-23-2011 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Recker1 (Post 15742120)
Wait... so while safely negotiating this lengthy series of sharp turns and blind corners, you suggest also having watch out for the a-holes riding up behind you and somehow finding a way to safely "move over" to let them by?

YES!!! It is not that hard people.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moving Pictures (Post 15740824)
So it's the safely operating individual to blame for Ricky Racer being a dickhead? How does that work?

NO!!! But Ricky Racer could have (and should have) been waved past by the lead rider in the video. :nod

xcgates 04-23-2011 10:39 PM

Ricky Racer also is the one who attempted (what turned out to be) an unsafe pass.

Sure, one could complain all one wants about being held up, however I've always been told, and have always figured it is on the passer to execute a safe pass. If the passee (is that a word?) is polite, they will wave faster vehicles by, and make room, but I don't really have much sympathy for someone who attempts a pass when it isn't safe.

Yes, I have passed on double yellows, I've declined passes in passing zones when I couldn't see far enough ahead for my comfort levels, and I have (most definitely!) waved people by when in my overloaded, motorcycle-towing car. Granted I've not spent a lot of time on roads like the Dragon, the closest being the Blue Ridge Parkway in the middle of a road trip, with my loaded up station-wagon, roof box, and snow tires to boot. Didn't really spend much time being held up, but *did* get acquainted with the pull-offs!:lol3

kg4lho 04-23-2011 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by windmill (Post 15743563)
I guess its being in the middle of a National Park and National Forest escaped you notice?

No, I knew about Hwy 129 when I starting hiking/exploring the Smokies way before I started riding.

But, I didn't notice your point. :huh

windmill 04-23-2011 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kg4lho (Post 15743755)
No, I knew about Hwy 129 when I starting hiking/exploring the Smokies way before I started riding.

But, I didn't notice your point. :huh

That there are many users of the area.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kg4lho (Post 15743401)

Look, the dragon is a destination and not a route for most folks. Everyone is there to ride,

Your 2 statements seem to be rather contradictory. :hmmmmm

zDollar Bill 04-23-2011 11:24 PM

No one rides there anymore, it's too crowded.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:04 PM.