ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The perfect line and other riding myths (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Killboy failure Dragon Fest (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454662)

lemieuxmc 04-23-2011 10:26 PM

If the faster rider is worth a crap and really is faster (i.e. more skillful) it's no big deal to pass someone. As I said before, it's really bad form to swoop someone on a public road without giving them a chance to move over and check up.

By the way, I've been passed on narrow, twisty fire roads and MX tracks by some pretty big name riders like Sue Fish, Gaylon Mosier, Ron Lechien and Scot Harden, and none of them crashed or cut off my line while doing it (although they pretty much all gave me a face full of roost).

The only problem that I have with squids crashing themselves into road kill is that they often take someone with them and it raises my insurance rates.

gelandestrasse 04-24-2011 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemieuxmc (Post 15743908)
If the faster rider is worth a crap and really is faster (i.e. more skillful) it's no big deal to pass someone. As I said before, it's really bad form to swoop someone on a public road without giving them a chance to move over and check up.

By the way, I've been passed on narrow, twisty fire roads and MX tracks by some pretty big name riders like Sue Fish, Gaylon Mosier, Ron Lechien and Scot Harden, and none of them crashed or cut off my line while doing it (although they pretty much all gave me a face full of roost).

The only problem that I have with squids crashing themselves into road kill is that they often take someone with them and it raises my insurance rates.

Passing on a double yellow in North Carolina will get you a ticket.

Jim Moore 04-24-2011 04:45 AM

Is it really that scary / dangerous / difficult to pull over to the right and let soemone by? Here's a quick primer: Headlights appear in your rearview mirrors. Move to the right. Make a "pass me" signal with your left hand. Bike goes past you. Continue your ride.

It's really just that simple, you slow-riding, lane-hogging, drama queens.

DELTATANGO 04-24-2011 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Moore (Post 15744838)
Is it really that scary / dangerous / difficult to pull over to the right and let soemone by? Here's a quick primer: Headlights appear in your rearview mirrors. Move to the right. Make a "pass me" signal with your left hand. Bike goes past you. Continue your ride.

He came up on him too fast. The front guy didn't have time to see and react.

Squidly was going too fast and ran off the road, simple.

Slow down Squidly.

That road is a bitch. It is tight and crowded with all blind curves. It's not a lot of fun after the novelty wears off.

Jim Moore 04-24-2011 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DELTATANGO (Post 15744900)
He came up on him too fast. The front guy didn't have time to see and react.

Squidly was going too fast and ran off the road, simple.

Slow down Squidly.

That road is a bitch. It is tight and crowded with all blind curves. It's not a lot of fun after the novelty wears off.

I'm talking generally. I agree squid-boy was a nitwit. I'd rather have a nitwit in front of me instead of behind me.

C-Stain 04-24-2011 05:32 AM

I've been a Professional Driver for the past 16 years. I've taken High Speed, High Force Driving Courses, I've taken Low Force Driving Courses. I've taken Certified Emergency Vehicle Operator Courses. I've also taken my mandatory Defensive Driving Courses and been trained to drive Heavy Truck by the local Driver Examiner. I've spent the biggest portion of my career on the road.

What I have always been taught is that the "Speed Limit" is the upper most speed which you can drive. You're not supposed to drive faster than that. It does not mean that you can't drive SLOWER than the posted limit. And at a certain level below the posted limit, you are supposed to use your Four Way Flashers to indicate to other drivers that you are a slower vehicle. I have read nothing in the LOCAL vehicle code that requires anyone to Yield to faster traffic, or wave them past. Mind you, I could be forgetting something I learned long ago.

I fail to understand why many of the riders in this forum seem to believe they are above the law and that slower traffic should always yield to them when they want to go faster. Is it annoying to get behind Gramma and Grandpa when they're out for their Sunday drive? Damn Straight. But they're not breaking the law.

Would it be courteous to pull to the right and let faster traffic pass? Sure. It would also be nice if traffic would get out of the way of my Ambulance or Rescue Truck with lights and sirens, but that doesn't always happen either. In many jurisdictions I believe its illegal for a vehicle to pass another in its own lane, unless the first vehicle is on the shoulder.

While some of the pictures in this thread clearly illustrate a "failure to ride prudently", I just can't understand why every thread here has to turn into a Cruiser/Harley bashing thread, thinly veiled as it may be. The first couple of pictures show that some BMW riders clearly can't navigate the Dragon either.

The most important lesson I ever learned in MSF Class was this, "Ride your own Ride." And it still rings true today.

Moving Pictures 04-24-2011 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PFFOG (Post 15742297)
I agree the guy made a foolish pass, and put himself and others in danger, and THAT IS THE POINT! Had the riders just checked up for a split second and let him by, he may not have made a foolish pass and all would have been safer,..............just saying.

Given the video, buddy was probably going twice the limit, if not more.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAKEZ (Post 15743625)
But Ricky Racer could have (and should have) been waved past by the lead rider in the video. :nod

So what you're saying is that I'm not supposed to watch my line, keep an eye out for shitheads in the oncoming lane, but rather shift considerable parts of my focus to watching out for unsafe idiots coming up behind me at twice the posted speed limit, and assume that their primary behaviour will be illegal, unsafe and impatient acts and pull over on a blind curve where there's heavy traffic, possibly putting myself at risk to compensate for an asshat that can't behave nicely in public?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Moore (Post 15744838)
Here's a quick primer: Headlights appear in your rearview mirrors. Move to the right. Make a "pass me" signal with your left hand. Bike goes past you. Continue your ride.

I had this exact scenario happen to me in the Kootenays. I was moving along at a decent clip, at the limit, certainly taking the corners at a brisk pace, and I had some assclown in an old retro harley/triumph or some such come behind me doing at least 40 over. I/we were in a serious set of twisties, with few places to pull over. Buddy didn't wait more than 25 seconds before he passed into a blind right corner on a double-yellow line at a pace that certainly out-rode his old rusty disc brakes.

To hear tell from the pro-squid folks here, I was supposed to be psychic, know that someone dangerous to my health was coming up at high speed before it happened and pull over at a flat spot that didn't exist so that I didn't disturb fuckwit's ride.

So, when do you guys go to the dangerous high-speed-passing squids and lecture them about their stupidity affecting MY ride?

Why does fast, dangerous and stupid have to win over safe and responsible?

Answer that, folks, and you'll have the answer as to why people keep trying to restrict MY freedoms because of someone else's stupidity.

x_hog_ridr 04-24-2011 05:50 AM

I safely pass slower bikes and wave the faster bikes by.
I pass because I want to go faster than the bike in front of me.
I wave them by because it is the courteous thing to do. (do unto others)

Why can't we all get along?

Barry 04-24-2011 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x_hog_ridr (Post 15745082)
I safely pass slower bikes and wave the faster bikes by.
I pass because I want to go faster than the bike in front of me.
I wave them by because it is the courteous thing to do. (do unto others)

Correct... very simple. Amazing more folks can't comprehend that little nugget.

Quote:

Originally Posted by x_hog_ridr (Post 15745082)
Why can't we all get along?

Rhetorical?

Jim Moore 04-24-2011 06:10 AM

Some of you "Adventure Riders" have an interesting perception of danger and risk level. "Tiera del Fuego? The Yukon? Hell, maybe I'll do 'em, both this Summ ... OMG, there's someone behind me! He wants to pass! Can't that idiot see this lane is only 12 feet wide?! OMGx2! I a pull off somewhere and report this to advrider!"

C-Stain 04-24-2011 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry (Post 15745169)
Correct... very simple. Amazing more folks can't comprehend that little nugget.

Simple. Yes. Necessary? No. Illegal? In some jurisdictions. The point is...everyone has the right to enjoy the roads. IF they do that at their own speed and aren't breaking any laws, what's the problem? If YOU want to go faster...why don't YOU pull off and wait for a clear line to do so?

Tripped1 04-24-2011 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C-Stain (Post 15745276)
Simple. Yes. Necessary? No. Illegal? In some jurisdictions. The point is...everyone has the right to enjoy the roads. IF they do that at their own speed and aren't breaking any laws, what's the problem? If YOU want to go faster...why don't YOU pull off and wait for a clear line to do so?

Counter productive, because not only are you sitting there twiddling your thumbs (not terribly fun in full leathers....stopped = hot).....but you are going to be right back on their ass in a matter of minutes.

Why is waving people by so hard?

Boon Booni 04-24-2011 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moving Pictures (Post 15745033)

So what you're saying is that I'm not supposed to watch my line, keep an eye out for shitheads in the oncoming lane, but rather shift considerable parts of my focus to watching out for unsafe idiots coming up behind me at twice the posted speed limit, and assume that their primary behaviour will be illegal, unsafe and impatient acts and pull over on a blind curve where there's heavy traffic, possibly putting myself at risk to compensate for an asshat that can't behave nicely in public?

If you're riding the "Dragon" then yes. You headed there because you read about it on the internet. You knew how twisty it was going to be. You knew how people would be riding, because again, you read about it on the internet. There's a reason that there's a tree with all kinds of motorcycle parts hanging from it. You read about that on the internet too.

I'm not saying I agree with how the road is ridden by many of the folks that ride it, because it is ultimately a public road, but you know what you're getting into by going there, so keep your head out of your ass because there are plenty of folks who won't keep theirs out of theirs. Keeping your head out of your ass means knowing not only what is front of you, but also what is trying to crawl up your ass, and since your head isn't up there you probably also want to keep someone elses out of there too.

You can blah blah blah the speed limit all you want, I've only seen the cops pull over 18 wheelers for going through there. You went to the "Dragon", you decided to go to the "Dragon", so stop whining about all the aggressive riders.

bwalsh 04-24-2011 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAKEZ (Post 15743539)

:loco

:csm

A lot of states have laws against sharing lanes including passing in the same lane. Just like being nice when you have the right of way and letting someone have said right of way ie:throwing the laws pertaining the who has legal right of way out the window. YOU can be held responsible if it causes and accident. :deal

You guys had your panties all in a wad with the pics of people in the oncoming lanes but with a 3 minute video you have
A: decided the lead bike rider is a dick because he didn't pull over immediately to let someone pass who may or may not have been behind them for 2 miles or 10'. I must have missed the backwards camera angle to determine that.
B: sided with the squid that you can SEE crossed the double yellow line for an unsafe pass an proceeded to fixate on and run into the ditch with a locked up rear tire. Seems to me HE is the Noob and shouldn't be on that road...or any road if that's the best he can do.:rolleyes

Without actually being there that day at that moment it's all speculation.

I'm all for letting someone go on around. It's nice to have a probe unit to clear the way of LEO's running radar.:deal

bwalsh 04-24-2011 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Moore (Post 15744946)
I'm talking generally. I agree squid-boy was a nitwit. I'd rather have a nitwit in front of me instead of behind me.

Generally yes, but too many armchair riders dissected that short video into "pull the f*#k over you slow MF". That's what the discussion started out from but turned a corner in a generalization...

Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:13 PM.