ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The perfect line and other riding myths (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Killboy failure Dragon Fest (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454662)

DAKEZ 04-24-2011 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by windmill (Post 15747383)
If you find that You are often or constantly frustrated by the actions of slower motorists you may be more squidly than you think.

Some truth there. :nod

I always say if you find yourself getting pissed off when you ride, YOU are doing it wrong.

windmill 04-24-2011 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAKEZ (Post 15747297)
Clearly windmill remains obstinate. :lol3

I'm just trying to get folks to see the issue has more than one side, the need for speed doesn't automatically trump all other desires. My sole objection is some seem to feel they have the right to demand immediate right of way because they are faster.

The only thing I am not willing to do is pull off and stop to allow a pass. And as a professional driver I will not signal other drivers to take action.

DAKEZ 04-24-2011 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by windmill (Post 15747436)
I'm just trying to get folks to see the issue has more than one side, the need for speed doesn't automatically trump all other desires.

I know. That is why I chose my words wisely and added the lol3.

:1drink

windmill 04-24-2011 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAKEZ (Post 15747465)
I know. That is why I chose my words wisely and added the lol3.

:1drink

I understood what you were saying. :beer My comments were for those that may not. :D

bwalsh 04-24-2011 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAKEZ (Post 15747076)
A: I never said the lead rider was a dick...
I didn't single you out.
I simply stated that pulling right and letting a faster rider safely pass is the right thing to do.
If it's safe and there is a place to do so.
B: I did not side with the squid... In fact I identified him as :asshat
Yep. No argument there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PFFOG (Post 15747162)
MOST laws are because not all people can use their heads.
Yep, that's why there are speed limits too...
And there is laws on the books in some states that require you to pull over at the first opportunity if you are blocking traffic.
Those laws if they do exist are for SLOW moving vehicles, like say a farm tractor, not someone doing the speed limit or even 10 mph under. I've never heard of that law. Got a link?

drivers possibly becoming frustrated.

To anyone reading this...If you become frustrated and willing to take risks to pass someone because you are stuck behind them doing the speed limit or even 10 under maybe you should take a deep look inside yourself. Ever heard of road rage? What you are describing is a form of it.

I'm no slow poke. To be honest I like to go over the posted speed, 5 to 10 above and am usually the one who catches up to other vehicles. If I wasn't worried about losing my license I'd probably go faster!:deal
BUT I accept the fact that there are slower vehicles out there and adjust accordingly. It a PUBLIC highway. I don't own it. I don't expect people to let me by. If they do great, if they don't I settle in, enjoy the ride and pass when it's safe.
I never thought I'd see so many on this site with a sense of entitlement.
Jeez.:lol3

lemieuxmc 04-24-2011 12:59 PM

In that video I can see absolutely nothing to fault blinky light guy. Squid boy came up so fast and crashed almost instantaneously, that blinky light guy didn't even have a chance to shift right and check up.

The reference to the other crash where the squid went over the lines and went head on after being waved by just illustrates how things can go bad even if you are minding your own business.

Squids... they are where you find them

bwalsh 04-24-2011 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemieuxmc (Post 15747619)

Squids... they are where they find you

Fixed! :lol3
Be careful out there...

lemieuxmc 04-24-2011 01:25 PM

Well played!

gelandestrasse 04-24-2011 02:19 PM

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_LxZ4Mi3rR3...0/img_8477.jpg

Moving Pictures 04-24-2011 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boon Booni (Post 15745317)
If you're riding the "Dragon" then yes. You headed there because you read about it on the internet. You knew how twisty it was going to be.

So, by that logic, I shouldn't complain if I get mugged in New York, or shot by a gangbanger in L.A. It's my tough shit for not adapting to the local lawlessness.

Tell, me - what other areas do laws and common social decency evaporate?

Quote:

... it is ultimately a public road, but you know what you're getting into by going there, so keep your head ....
Gosh, it's a public road. A road which is governed by ... wait... laws that are applicable to all of us, generally for our safety, which when violated by egos with big bikes end up in, well most of the pics here we've been mocking.

Coincidence?

Quote:

If you do not know what is coming up behind you then you should make some changes in your riding habits.
Yet again, you place blame on the poor bugger operating in a sane, reasonable fashion. It's his fault that asshat came barrelling in at high speed - easily twice the limit - after engaging in an illegal maneouver.

Quote:

If you can not pull off frequent and necessary mirror checks without using up "considerable parts of my focus" then riding is likely not the best mode of transportation for you. I might suggest a train or a bus. :1drink
I'd agree. But this isn't just being aware of the back. After all, according to some, the legal operator was at fault for the crash for going too slow, and ought to have pulled over in an unsafe location, despite going the speed limit, to compensate for someone else's unsafe and illegal acts.

In other words, your sense of personal responsibility is waaaaay off.

Put it this way: the fuckwit that crashed has a chance to learn a lesson: ride at a reasonable speed. Why couldn't HE have pulled off and waited for the allegedly slower traffic to drive ahead? He was the one that wanted to break the law, drive unsafely. Why should selfish, egomaniacal fuckups with sportbikes carry more merit than those of us engaging in safe, practical transport?

jacksgp 04-24-2011 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmerstu (Post 15746622)
I've been lurking here for a long time. this thread prompted me to join so i could add my 2 cents to this thread.
please read this news clipping first.

TELLICO PLAINS, Tenn. A Florida motorcyclist was killed Saturday when he veered into the path of three other oncoming riders along the Cherohala Skyway in Monroe County, according to the Tennessee Highway Patrol.
Robert N. Tittenhofer, 44, of Middleburg, Fla., died in the crash, which also injured a trio of motorcyclists from Virginia, Trooper Philip Warren's report states.
The victim was riding a 2007 Honda CBR1000 westbound on state Highway 165 at mile marker 22 just before 4 p.m., when he veered into the eastbound lanes at a right-hand curve. Tittenhofer's cycle nicked an oncoming Harley-Davidson, sideswiped a Kawasaki and then struck a second Harley-Davidson head-on, according to the report.
All four riders were wearing helmets.

my wife and I were on the charahala that day. riding a little above the speed limit. trying to be courteous we waved the group of sportbikes by.

in about a minute i heard the crash impact and in seconds we were on the scene.

I have often asked myself since then ,if i had not waved them by and allowed them to pass us in our lane 1 rider would still be alive and others would not have been seriously injured.

do it again. no way. I will never again have that on my conscious.
hopefully my future posts will be on a lighter note.

I've done the same thing and will continue to do so. You have little say on how others behave and I believe letting a faster rider pass when able is safer for all concerned. You did nothing wrong, in fact you did the everything right. I can understand why you feel the way you do but for what it worth...you have no control at all in what happens next.
NONE!
God Bless!

kpt4321 04-24-2011 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Moore (Post 15745186)
Some of you "Adventure Riders" have an interesting perception of danger and risk level. "Tiera del Fuego? The Yukon? Hell, maybe I'll do 'em, both this Summ ... OMG, there's someone behind me! He wants to pass! Can't that idiot see this lane is only 12 feet wide?! OMGx2! I a pull off somewhere and report this to advrider!"

This could be applied to a WHOLE lot of threads in this sub-forum.

Ride dangerous terrain on a dirt bike, solo, far from civilization? Sure. Stop at a light AND take your bike out of gear? THAT'S TOO DANGEROUS!

That being said, I think that the "usual crowd" in these discussions isn't the same "adventure riding" crowd we're thinking of. I think that for some of them, the biggest adventure is figuring out how to do their paved commute on a dual sport when their hi-viz is in the wash.

kpt4321 04-24-2011 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moving Pictures (Post 15748119)
So, by that logic, I shouldn't complain if I get mugged in New York, or shot by a gangbanger in L.A. It's my tough shit for not adapting to the local lawlessness.

If you go to New York with the express purpose of participating in a mugging, based on a website that said NYC has the best muggings in the country, while wearing a t-shirt bragging about the number of muggings per minute, yes.

In other words:

The reason that 95% of people are at "the dragon" is specifically because they want to participate in riding that crazy-ass, super curvy road, on their motorcycles. The whole point of going there is to ride the road, so one ought not to be surprised that other people are there to do the same thing, and that some other people have slightly different definitions of what it means to enjoy said road. I am NOT defending stupid behavior, but you're an idiot if you expect to go somewhere like that and are surprised to see other enthusiasts there, and unwilling to consider that they, like you, are trying to enjoy the road, and their method might be different than yours.

Do you also complain when people go too fast at a (non-racing) track day?

xcgates 04-24-2011 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpt4321 (Post 15748251)
...Do you also complain when people go too fast at a (non-racing) track day?

If they don't follow the rules on passing zones, then yes, I would (and have) brought it up.

DAKEZ 04-24-2011 03:10 PM

Quote:

Yet again, you place blame on the poor bugger operating in a sane, reasonable fashion. It's his fault that asshat came barrelling in at high speed - easily twice the limit - after engaging in an illegal maneouver.

No, no, no. Not assessing any blame to the lead rider... Just using it for a discussion tool.

Quote:

After all, according to some, the legal operator was at fault for the crash for going too slow, and ought to have pulled over in an unsafe location, despite going the speed limit, to compensate for someone else's unsafe and illegal acts.

Has anyone truly said it was the lead riders fault? Did I miss something?

Peeps are just chiming in to express ways of how this could have been avoided. We all know the squid did wrong. The video tells only a small bit of a much larger story.

How long was squid following them? Can't tell from the video clip. In this case it is my guess that it was not long or the squid should have been able to read the lead riders lines a little better and chose a different line to pull off his pass than he did.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:54 PM.