ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The perfect line and other riding myths (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Killboy failure Dragon Fest (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454662)

DAKEZ 04-25-2011 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ritalin Boy (Post 15756551)
Well you managed to infer quite a bit didn't you, granted if one was to be ready to "yield" so a more aggressive rider doesn't have to brake or change line on a twisty road he'd likely be spending more time looking back than ahead don't you think? NO.

What has been entertaining is watching all you "great riders" go on and on about the video and about passing, being passed and road manners when the most of you are sounding like selfish assholes. Example please. :ear

In the video the passer is wrong. Period. End of story. I can't fathom how anyone could try to assign any fault on anyone other than squid boy. I don't give a fuck if squid boy was "stuck" behind these two for a mile what he did was wrong. Nobody did. :deal I labeled him and Asshat. :1drink

Not everyone is going to be on their game enough or even (gasp) courteous (as how you define it) when it comes to someone who would like to go faster. Deal with it and get over yourself.. Safely. Situational awareness is not that hard. Try it some time.

None of that means you have a right to expect someone to move over, last I checked once in a while you may just have to suck it up behind a slower vehicle until there is a safe place to pass. If you elect to pass in a no passing zone you carry the burden of *everything* that happens good or bad. Yup.

Watch the video again, if squid boy had not gone off it looks like he would have hit blinky boy, do you somehow think blinky boy deserved it? I Did not say that he did. Nobody else said that he did... Are you just making things up as you go along or did you actually read the posts?

I've passed many a slow rider on the twisties and I'm sure the pass showed some frustration over being stuck behind a wobblin goblin but what I find so funny about this turn of the thread is the number of racer boys who think they have a right to pass regardless and there is some sort of burden on the slower rider to move right. For safety of Mr. slow and Mr Speedy there is a burden for Mr.Slow to move right and allow a pass.

Plus anyone who goes to the Dragon, perhaps the most famous motorcycling road in the U.S. and gets bent over slower traffic is clearly demonstrating a lack of a working penis. IMO the only reason to go to the Dragon is to pose or "get the sticker".

Agreed. I have No desire to go there. :D

DAKEZ 04-25-2011 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moving Pictures (Post 15756847)
Always keep an eye on my six.

Doesn't stop idiots from speeding like a bat out of hell, as happened in the Kootenays in 2009. (I told this above.) While I was looking for a spot to pull out, in the middle of three-four back-and-forth s-curves I did at speed limit (within a modest error factor), fuckwit passes on a blind right-hander.

I'll likely pull over for speed demons when it is safe for me to do so. But you gotta give me a damn chance. And, frankly, I don't think I have to pull over if I am going at the defined speed limit. Generally I will, because I'd rather have a rolling crash go way ahead, than stay on my six..

:thumb

C-Stain 04-25-2011 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moving Pictures (Post 15756847)
And, frankly, I don't think I have to pull over if I am going at the defined speed limit.

This. Period.

lemieuxmc 04-25-2011 06:30 PM

"denounce anyone trying to make a safe, orderly pass on a twisty road?"

Please... please, don't try to say that Squid Boy was making a safe and orderly pass.

Do you seriously think that Blinky Light guy had any chance to spot Squid Boy and and move over before Squid Boy dove to the inside and kissed the pavement?

Maybe you need to come out, you know, get in touch with your inner squidliness? :huh<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Jim Moore 04-25-2011 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemieuxmc (Post 15758867)
"denounce anyone trying to make a safe, orderly pass on a twisty road?"

Please... please, don't try to say that Squid Boy was making a safe and orderly pass.

Do you seriously think that Blinky Light guy had any chance to spot Squid Boy and and move over before Squid Boy dove to the inside and kissed the pavement?

Maybe you need to come out, you know, get in touch with your inner squidliness? :huh<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

I guess you're just being obtuse. No one has said squid boy was right, including me. I'm talkinga bout the rest of us, who are simply trying to get by and proceed on our merry way.

Recker1 04-25-2011 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwalsh (Post 15756904)
I was almost taken out by two squids last year and I WAS riding well.

Not that this hasn't been beaten to death already, but I know the feeling. While riding home at dusk one night last summer, some dipshit wanted to ride RIGHT on my ass (I was already going about 40-45 in a 35). Having this guy 24 inches from my 6 was more distracting than what was going on in front of me, obviously a bad scenario. I was making a left turn and was about to pull onto a side street to let this asshole pass when he decides to pass me on the INSIDE of my left turn, almost taking us both out in the process.

Was this one instance representative of all riders and all so-called "safe" passes? Obviously not. I'm sure most people would have actually waited for a semi-safe part of the road to pass another rider. However, almost getting taken out by some dipshit while I'm riding safely certainly didn't leave me with much sympathy for the "move to the right so I can pass" crowd.

shovelstrokeed 04-25-2011 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Moore (Post 15744838)
Is it really that scary / dangerous / difficult to pull over to the right and let soemone by? Here's a quick primer: Headlights appear in your rearview mirrors. Move to the right. Make a "pass me" signal with your left hand. Bike goes past you. Continue your ride.

It's really just that simple, you slow-riding, lane-hogging, drama queens.

I hear ya, Jim. +1000

DAKEZ 04-25-2011 07:55 PM

What it comes down to it do you want to be passed on your terms or the other guys terms.

Sometimes I am the one waving people past. (rides where I am chillin') Other times I am the one doing the passing. (rides when I am going at a more spirited pace)

If I come up behind a slower rider I WILL pass. I will do so in a manner that 'I' feel is safe. I will not just go blasting past without hanging back and following for a few turns to assess the riding line and ability of the rider and also give him/her a chance to wave me by. If the rider seems to be new or unskilled I will hang back a little longer to make sure they know I am behind them and not get them rattled.

But make no mistake I WILL pass.

There have been a few pages of post on this now. The slower rider may well get his panties in a bunch over it and start a sniveling thread about the asshole that blew by them in a corner... I don't care. You had your chance to dictate the terms of the pass an chose to be selfish and not wave a faster rider on his way. Snivel all you want... I can not control your mood. If you choose to get bent over it that is on you and it is YOUR ride that will suffer because of it not mine. I will be far ahead grinning like a mad-man diving into the next corner in search of my next pass. :evil

south 04-25-2011 08:31 PM

Boy, some people sure will travel a long way just to be contrary, and there's some hellaciously convoluted "reasoning" to apportion responsibility for what is a very simple matter.

Motorcycles, cars, boats, etc., it's all the same: the overtaking vehicle/vessel bears the sole responsibility to overtake safely; the vehicle/vessel being overtaken is responsible for holding their line/maintaining their course.

As is pretty much universally agreed, Squid-boy attempted an unsafe pass. However, Blinky-boy held his line, exactly as he should have regardless of whether or not he knew he was about to be dive-bombed. His responsibility begins and ends right there. Anything else--e.g., if he had altered his line (as a number of people suggest he should have) or even attempted some (potentially misread) gesture--and he potentially exacerbates the situation and absolutely fails in his conventionally accepted responsibility--especially given the wholly unexpected and entirely unconventional pass attempt of Squid-boy: up the non-existent inside at corner apex, exactly where Blinky-boy, maintaining a conventional line through the corner, could be expected to be, leaving the outside wide open.

Again, when being overtaken, your sole responsibility is to hold your line, no more, no less, period.

DAKEZ 04-25-2011 08:37 PM

:nod

C-Stain 04-26-2011 02:53 AM

I don't know. Maybe I'm getting mellower in my old age. Maybe I've seen too much trauma over the years. I still like to push my bike through the corners and have fun in the twisties. Usually...its faster than the posted limit.

That's OK if I have the road to my self.

The fact of the matter is this:

Double Yellow = Illegal to Pass.
At the Speed Limit = No need to Pass.

If you're passing in a double yellow while I'm riding the limit, or **my** limit which ever is faster, you're an :asshat. Plain and simple.

I'm not saying I'm a slower rider. I'm not saying I'm a squid either. But I HAVE ridden the Tail of the Dragon and for a Nova Scotia boy from the Valley, that was a very technical piece of road. I *DID* cross the line once, but I rode it and loved every second of it.

Wheedle 04-26-2011 03:00 AM

Double-Yellow-Passing-Asshat here...

For fucks sake people... ride your own ride, and let me ride mine. And check your fucking 6.

Ritalin Boy 04-26-2011 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by south (Post 15760179)
boy, some people sure will travel a long way just to be contrary, and there's some hellaciously convoluted "reasoning" to apportion responsibility for what is a very simple matter.

Motorcycles, cars, boats, etc., it's all the same: The overtaking vehicle/vessel bears the sole responsibility to overtake safely; the vehicle/vessel being overtaken is responsible for holding their line/maintaining their course.

As is pretty much universally agreed, squid-boy attempted an unsafe pass. However, blinky-boy held his line, exactly as he should have regardless of whether or not he knew he was about to be dive-bombed. His responsibility begins and ends right there. Anything else--e.g., if he had altered his line (as a number of people suggest he should have) or even attempted some (potentially misread) gesture--and he potentially exacerbates the situation and absolutely fails in his conventionally accepted responsibility--especially given the wholly unexpected and entirely unconventional pass attempt of squid-boy: Up the non-existent inside at corner apex, exactly where blinky-boy, maintaining a conventional line through the corner, could be expected to be, leaving the outside wide open.

Again, when being overtaken, your sole responsibility is to hold your line, no more, no less, period.

+1

Ritalin Boy 04-26-2011 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berto (Post 15739758)
Pull your head out of your ass and move over. its not that hard people. I do it all the time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PFFOG (Post 15742297)
I agree the guy made a foolish pass, and put himself and others in danger, and THAT IS THE POINT! Had the riders just checked up for a split second and let him by, he may not have made a foolish pass and all would have been safer,..............just saying.

And NO I don't expect you to ride with your eyes in the mirrors, but should you see a faster vehicle in your mirrors, just be courteous, AND safe, and let them go by.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAKEZ (Post 15743625)
YES!!! It is not that hard people.

NO!!! But Ricky Racer could have (and should have) been waved past by the lead rider in the video. :nod

It's all about attitude, hell we got guys in this thread who feel they "own" the road, they don't even like sharing it with people riding bicycles. :lol3

Dranrab Luap 04-26-2011 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C-Stain (Post 15761491)
I don't know. Maybe I'm getting mellower in my old age. Maybe I've seen too much trauma over the years. I still like to push my bike through the corners and have fun in the twisties. Usually...its faster than the posted limit.

That's OK if I have the road to my self.

The fact of the matter is this:

Double Yellow = Illegal to Pass.
At the Speed Limit = No need to Pass.

If you're passing in a double yellow while I'm riding the limit, or **my** limit which ever is faster, you're an :asshat. Plain and simple.

I'm not saying I'm a slower rider. I'm not saying I'm a squid either. But I HAVE ridden the Tail of the Dragon and for a Nova Scotia boy from the Valley, that was a very technical piece of road. I *DID* cross the line once, but I rode it and loved every second of it.

Please explain to me how your breaking the law by exceeding the speed limit is OK, but when someone breaks the law by making a clean pass on a double yellow they are an asshat. This should be educational.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:38 AM.