ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The perfect line and other riding myths (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Killboy failure Dragon Fest (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454662)

lethe 03-30-2012 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anotherguy (Post 18340217)
It takes real talent to make taking her home unnecessary. :D

It starts with the come on line, "Hey there good looking, ever ride a unicycle naked?"

Iron Dingo 03-30-2012 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lethe (Post 18340248)
It starts with the come on line, "Hey there good looking, ever ride a unicycle naked?"

:rofl:rofl:rofl

viverrid 03-30-2012 09:40 AM

http://www.farson.com/images/dg2.jpg
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThatGuy (Post 18337416)
When I first saw this I thought he was running into a mirror

Hey, I thought cruiser riders didn't use the FRONT brake.....

211Chuck 03-30-2012 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbuzz (Post 18338148)
Sure you can go faster but this is at the expense of good roadcraft and merely shows poor self discipline.... it is not good role model behavior from an elder of the tribe :gerg

:norton

You have your opinion and I respect that... But for me as an EX factory road racer I learned using every inch of
available pavement to get the perfect (FAST) line is the proper way of riding fast on the track. IMO if you are on
a stretch of nice turns on a road clear of on coming traffic there is no big deal about using every inch of the road
available to you to go much faster then just riding in your lane.

My wife loves the feel from the extra speed on the perfect line using every inch of pavement available, she gets
bored from the slower speeds of staying in our lane when there is no clear view of the road. I feel the same as
my wife about this. It's still fun,just way less adrenalin rush because your speed is lower.

There are perfect fast lines in one lane just like there is using both lanes (when safe to do so only) the one &
only difference between the two is using both lanes is (much,much) faster then only using one.

You ride the way you feel is safe, I'll ride the way I feel is safe and all will be right in the world my friend" :thumb

OldPete 03-30-2012 10:07 AM

:lol3

X-factory racer, indeed.
Folks that ride on the street should develope wise street riding habits/skills not track day skills.
Ride fast on one's own side of the road... period..

PFFOG 03-30-2012 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 211Chuck (Post 18340713)
You have your opinion and I respect that... But for me as an EX factory road racer I learned using every inch of
available pavement to get the perfect (FAST) line is the proper way of riding fast on the track.

As a track day addict, I just visualize that the edge of the pavement IS the double yellow, on the wide US roads. Now in Europe where the entire road is narrower than one lane here, it is a different story, but if there is no visibility in Europe, my imaginary lane is about 2' wide or less, and is as far right as I can be without hitting something on the side of the road.

To keep the wife happy in the twisty's just go buy something that vibrates a lot, and find the RPM range that suits her :D

outrunner 03-30-2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldPete (Post 18340776)

X-factory racer, indeed.
Folks that ride on the street should develope wise street riding habits/skills not track day skills.

What he said! :clap

Andy.

tjoseph 03-30-2012 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 211Chuck (Post 18340713)
You ride the way you feel is safe, I'll ride the way I feel is safe and all will be right in the world my friend" :thumb

Well, the only problem with that is that in nearly every accident both drivers or riders thought they were driving or riding in a way that they FELT was safe. Often it only feels unsafe in the split second before impact. Two weekends ago the car immediately ahead of me on a two-lane road got smacked head-on by a pickup, killing the driver (wife), injuring the passenger pretty severly (husband), and shoving that car within about 1 foot of my left leg as I luckily squeezed between the ongoing smash-up and the guard rail. And I was riding safely too. That's not always a guarantee that the unexpected won't happen.

211Chuck 03-30-2012 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldPete (Post 18340776)

X-factory racer, indeed.

:rofl Silly Boy" :rofl

scarysharkface 03-30-2012 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibafran (Post 18335210)
-5, Driving a hack is a lot of work. And that challenge to make it perform well and all the work to get it to move properly are precisely what makes it fun to do. And switching from performance mode to flower sniffing mode is part of its pleasure. Following a well driven hack is like watching really good magic. Putting a good monkey with a good pilot will have well ridden solo bike losing ground to the hack in tight places like the Gap.

I had the excellent fortune to follow Mr. Cob and AceRph on their hacks down a twisty mountain road in Oregon last September. Very edumacational and an absolute blast to watch. I wish I'd had a video camera on them. It was like a ballet, but with motorcycles.

John

211Chuck 03-30-2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjoseph (Post 18340854)
Well, the only problem with that is that in nearly every accident both drivers or riders thought they were driving or riding in a way that they FELT was safe. Often it only feels unsafe in the split second before impact. Two weekends ago the car immediately ahead of me on a two-lane road got smacked head-on by a pickup, killing the driver (wife), injuring the passenger pretty severly (husband), and shoving that car within about 1 foot of my left leg as I luckily squeezed between the ongoing smash-up and the guard rail. And I was riding safely too. That's not always a guarantee that the unexpected won't happen.

None of the above can happen if the road has a clear view a head and your the only one on the road.. That seems
to be the point everyone is missing here.

#1 Clear view of road ahead

#2 No one on the road ahead

lethe 03-30-2012 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 211Chuck (Post 18340951)
None of the above can happen if the road has a clear view a head and your the only one on the road.. That seems

how far of a view are you defining as a clear view?

tjoseph 03-30-2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 211Chuck (Post 18340951)

I think the point you're missing is that in nearly every accident the person thought the road was clear ahead. You think you're infallible, fine. History shows that's not the case. I've seen few roads that had such clarity, and those that did were in Nebraska and Iowa where I'd not want to ride. The curvy roads I prefer have never had such lengthy line-of-sight that I could say with certainty nothing could happen to me here.

klaviator 03-30-2012 10:40 AM

OMG!!!

No Double yellow line:eek1

Now what am I going to do???

http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/u...1/CIMG3018.jpg

How can I possibly make it around the curve ahead with no double yellow to guide me:eek1

http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/u...s/CIMG3230.jpg

I hate to tell you all this, that double yellow is just a couple of lines in the road. It won't hurt you ( except maybe when it's wet) and it won't save you either.

lethe 03-30-2012 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klaviator (Post 18341035)
OMG!!!

No Double yellow line:eek1

Now what am I going to do???

http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/u...1/CIMG3018.jpg

How can I possibly make it around the curve ahead with no double yellow to guide me:eek1

http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/u...s/CIMG3230.jpg

I hate to tell you all this, that double yellow is just a couple of lines in the road. It won't hurt you ( except maybe when it's wet) and it won't save you either.

however, what's your opinion of the rider you see carving the ideal racing line in the corners in the pictures?
Wise? :lol3

Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:00 PM.