ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The perfect line and other riding myths (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Killboy failure Dragon Fest (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454662)

hitmanh 03-30-2012 03:11 PM

The double line thing is a symptom of the problem, not the problem itself.

The problem is some very inexperienced bikers, some overconfident bikers, and some downright idiotic bikers are on a small twisty road with a little to much traffic and crap visibility. The double lines are a cheap method of trying to reduce the carnage to a manageable amount. You want to fix the issue? Better training and more experience of the conditions will help. Darwin will take care of the rest :freaky

hitmanh 03-30-2012 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttpete (Post 18342772)
It was a GP venue at one time. The hard part is learning almost 38 miles of road. The Dunlops live there and have plenty of opportunities.

There are road races in other sports (formula 1 for exmaple), but the courses are very heavily tamed and safed up in comparison to TT, where they just put some straw bales out and have a fire extinguisher handy.

slartidbartfast 03-30-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbuzz (Post 18338148)
Sure you can go faster but this is at the expense of good roadcraft and merely shows poor self discipline.... it is not good role model behavior from an elder of the tribe :gerg

:norton

If you take this absurd argument to it's conclusion, you would say that riding on only half a lane shows better roadcraft, and riding in 1/4 of a lane is better still.

It's absolutely your choice to use whatever part of the lane you want. Sometimes is IS a fun challenge to try and hug the line or stay exactly a foot from the curb (or whatever) but few riders will do it for any distance, if at all. Similarly, it is the rider's choice whether to enjoy the full twistiness of the road or cut corners into the other lane.

If you can see a clear path through a corner and choose to straighten the curve a bit so you can take it faster, the only issue becomes potential legality of crossing a solid painted line (a non-issue if you are not concerned about exceeding a posted speed limit either.) Basically your choice. I very occasionally do this. It does not detract from my enjoyment of a curvy road, nor do I do it because I am incapable of making the corner otherwise. I do it because I CHOOSE to do so. It has have never led to a scary incident, crash or other potentially unsafe consequence. So what!

Now if you HAVE to make an UNPLANNED crossing of the line in order to make a corner because you are riding beyond your ability, you are a dangerous fool. If you cross the line running wide, that is just as bad and you deserve to be pilloried in a ADVRider thread set up just for that purpose.

slartidbartfast 03-30-2012 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjoseph (Post 18341001)
I think the point you're missing is that in nearly every accident the person thought the road was clear ahead.

That's a pretty interesting statement - IMO both wrong and irrelevant :dunno

PSYCHO II 03-30-2012 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slartidbartfast (Post 18343634)
That's a pretty interesting statement - IMO both wrong and irrelevant :dunno

Sorry Mate I Didn't See You:rofl

dbuzz 03-30-2012 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slartidbartfast (Post 18343508)
If you take this absurd argument to it's conclusion, you would say that riding on only half a lane shows better roadcraft, and riding in 1/4 of a lane is better still.

It's absolutely your choice to use whatever part of the lane you want. Sometimes is IS a fun challenge to try and hug the line or stay exactly a foot from the curb (or whatever) but few riders will do it for any distance, if at all. Similarly, it is the rider's choice whether to enjoy the full twistiness of the road or cut corners into the other lane.

If you can see a clear path through a corner and choose to straighten the curve a bit so you can take it faster, the only issue becomes potential legality of crossing a solid painted line (a non-issue if you are not concerned about exceeding a posted speed limit either.) Basically your choice. I very occasionally do this. It does not detract from my enjoyment of a curvy road, nor do I do it because I am incapable of making the corner otherwise. I do it because I CHOOSE to do so. It has have never led to a scary incident, crash or other potentially unsafe consequence. So what!

Now if you HAVE to make an UNPLANNED crossing of the line in order to make a corner because you are riding beyond your ability, you are a dangerous fool. If you cross the line running wide, that is just as bad and you deserve to be pilloried in a ADVRider thread set up just for that purpose.

I'm not sure how you come to the conclusion that roadcraft implies hugging the center line, or kerb, or confining ones lines to a particular portion of a lane. In fact it is quite the opposite.

Roadcraft is simply how you ride on the road to survive. The choices you make about your level of risk are entirely up to you... however one would hope that riders of experience do not display squid tendencies when others of lesser experience may be observing and become emboldened to copy higher risk activities.

slartidbartfast 03-30-2012 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbuzz (Post 18343728)
... however one would hope that riders of experience do not display squid tendencies when others of lesser experience may be observing and become emboldened to copy higher risk activities.

Unfortunately I don't think it's watching me that would be the problem - The squids watch each other.

fallingoff 03-30-2012 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldPete (Post 18342753)
:lol3 IoM on Mad Sunday is not Deal's Gap or out here in SoCal... Ortega Hwy, Mulholland Rd, Angelus Crest Hwy.

This thread is about pictars on a very crowded two lane double yellow marked road with an uber mix of riders & drivers.

Most of us have ridden narrow paved roads for hours and have not seen much if any traffic.
On dim forested roads high beams are always on so we can see each other several bends ahead or we hope others do such. :deal

mate i'm glad you love blinding other road users
a lot of people are photosensitive
you can create huge blind spots in their vision
causing crashes
in my humble opinion this is a dangerous thing to do
just my opinion

cheers

qqqqq

WVhillbilly 03-30-2012 06:00 PM

Don't stare into the headlights.
I run my high beams during the day too.

Do you also stare at welding flash?

dbuzz 03-30-2012 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slartidbartfast (Post 18343761)
Unfortunately I don't think it's watching me that would be the problem - The squids watch each other.

Unfortunately they do watch ... and listen, with ears waggling :ear... to the ex-racers who brag about straightening out the corners to go faster. Equally unfortunate is often their ambition exceeds their talent.

scarysharkface 03-30-2012 06:01 PM

Would countersteering slow them down?

erkmania 03-30-2012 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lethe (Post 18340195)
I'd imagine it takes quite some talent to bring a girl home on a unicycle though :lol3

Not so bad, but it does take a little back and forth at the stop lights...

OldPete 03-30-2012 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fallingoff (Post 18343789)
mate i'm glad you love blinding other road users
a lot of people are photosensitive
you can create huge blind spots in their vision
causing crashes
in my humble opinion this is a dangerous thing to do
just my opinion

cheers

qqqqq

i bet you look for fly shit in the pepper... and find it. :lol3:1drink

fallingoff 03-30-2012 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WVhillbilly (Post 18343806)
Don't stare into the headlights.
I run my high beams during the day too.

Do you also stare at welding flash?

when their shinning straight in my eyes they will blind oncoming traffic
it is illegal and dangerous
you are a danger on the road
thats why you have a dimmer
imho you are a fool

fallingoff 03-30-2012 06:30 PM

ignorant dick

quote; bet you look for fly shit in the pepper... and find it

you have no experience in life imho