ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The perfect line and other riding myths (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Killboy failure Dragon Fest (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454662)

advNZer? 03-30-2012 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbuzz (Post 18343728)
I'm not sure how you come to the conclusion that roadcraft implies hugging the center line, or kerb, or confining ones lines to a particular portion of a lane. In fact it is quite the opposite.

Roadcraft is simply how you ride on the road to survive. The choices you make about your level of risk are entirely up to you... however one would hope that riders of experience do not display squid tendencies when others of lesser experience may be observing and become emboldened to copy higher risk activities.

do you use another lane when you overtake another vehicle?I use the same decision makeing process as part of my roadcraft to use another part of the road in my navigation of a windy road.
If you use another lane to overtake another vehicle your arguements against using another lane as part of your chosen line along a curvy road are invalid.

tjoseph 03-30-2012 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slartidbartfast (Post 18343634)
That's a pretty interesting statement - IMO both wrong and irrelevant :dunno

Yea? You think most accidents happen because the driver knows he's gonna hit someone else, and does it anyway?:norton That's not how it works. More often than not they think that the coast is clear, but it isn't. They think that any oncoming traffic will be doing close to the speed limit, but they're not. They take a quick look and fail to see another vehicle, or more likely they assume there isn't a vehicle there when there is.

MiamiMotorcyclist 03-30-2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjoseph (Post 18344703)
Yea? You think most accidents happen because the driver knows he's gonna hit someone else, and does it anyway?:norton

Of course. That's why the "Baby on Board" placards were invented and sell so well.:D

PSYCHO II 03-30-2012 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by advNZer? (Post 18344071)
do you use another lane when you overtake another vehicle?I use the same decision makeing process as part of my roadcraft to use another part of the road in my navigation of a windy road.
If you use another lane to overtake another vehicle your arguements against using another lane as part of your chosen line along a curvy road are invalid.

So when you change lanes in your navigation of a windy road do you indicate your intention?

DAKEZ 03-30-2012 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WVhillbilly (Post 18343806)
Don't stare into the headlights.
I run my high beams during the day too.

Do you also stare at welding flash?

Way to represent :asshat

If you feel the need to be a dick while riding you should give up riding IMO.

:1drink

OldPete 03-30-2012 08:40 PM

thread has been jacked by those that could get into a fight in an empty room. :lol3

WVhillbilly 03-30-2012 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fallingoff (Post 18344003)
when their shinning straight in my eyes they will blind oncoming traffic
it is illegal and dangerous
you are a danger on the road
thats why you have a dimmer
imho you are a fool

I'm crushed, since your opinion means so much to me.
Riders handbook here for licensing says to run your high beams during the day to make yourself more visible to other drivers.
Doubt that my high beams are going to blind you from WV to Oz at any rate.

dbuzz 03-30-2012 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by advNZer? (Post 18344071)

Avoiding hazards is one thing .... deliberately chopping corners as a way to go faster is just plain sloppy. :brow

Whatever happened to taking some pride in having skill and riding with precision and being smooth? :dunno

bwalsh 03-30-2012 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAKEZ (Post 18344801)

Unfortunately that BS practice of running with your high beams on during the day is endorsed by at least one State...

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/ci.../mcmanual6.asp

Quote:

Headlight

The best way to help others on the road see your motorcycle is to keep the headlight on-at all times. Studies show that, during the day, a motorcycle with lights off is twice as likely to go unnoticed by other road users. Also, use of the high beam in daylight increases the likelihood that you will be seen by oncoming drivers.

I'll take my chances at not being seen over pissing everyone off coming the opposite direction.

WVhillbilly 03-30-2012 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAKEZ (Post 18344801)

Ok, that's what I'll do, quit riding because you said so.
The headlight on my LC4 isn't going to blind anyone. Not even at night.

Not like I'm running a pair of HIDs or have a nightsun strapped to my bars.
Lighten the fuck up Nancy.

ShardPhoenix 03-30-2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WVhillbilly (Post 18344838)
Riders handbook here for licensing says to run your high beams during the day to make yourself more visible to other drivers.

:rofl:lol3:rofl:lol3

That's all that needs said about this piece of complete dumbfuckery.

If we have to argue about things, lets at least discuss the curves one might encounter on US129

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-mHt5K894Vn...0/img_9318.jpg

WVhillbilly 03-30-2012 09:06 PM

Book also says to stand on the pegs when crossing obstacles in the road, only problem is that will also get you a reckless driving ticket.:huh

fallingoff 03-30-2012 09:28 PM

quote ;I'm crushed, since your opinion means so much to me.
Doubt that my high beams are going to blind you from WV to Oz at any rate

i drive and ride in the usa quite often. so shut the f%$%^^ up
my family are citizen's of the usa
please do not blind them
to blind another driver is extremelly selfish
try the low beam
it has been proven that looking into the lights it is hard to judge the speed of the on-coming driver/rider
so as you are a law abiding citizen
you would never speed and have your high beam on all the time
so i see you
i judge you are on the speed limit and turn in front of you
imho you have no opinion
dim your lights
a little bit of common sense never hurt any body
as you have none i will sell you some. lol

Idle 03-30-2012 09:46 PM

Some of my favorite roads have no line at all. I like narrow, twisty, washboarded, potholed, bumpy as shit roads with pine needles, dirt, gravel, rocks, loose chipseal, sand, greasy critter stains, horse and cow shit, and........ other vehicles.

i set up as far to the left as possibly safe, when coming up on a sharp right. I can see a car much sooner than "staying in my lane". Honestly, i am dipping to the outside of the turn way ahead of time and am past the center of the road. It's not about lack of skill, its still a line I'm taking. It's just a safer line. as soon as i can see it's clear, i'm back to the other side to setup for a left.

okay here>
cars dont stay on thier side on narrow roads, with or without a line.

the further to the outside of a turn you are, the sooner said car or logging truck or rafting van ripping along will see you, and move over and give you the room you need and deserve.

TrashCan 03-31-2012 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShardPhoenix (Post 18344899)
:rofl:lol3:rofl:lol3

That's all that needs said about this piece of complete dumbfuckery.

If we have to argue about things, lets at least discuss the curves one might encounter on US129

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-mHt5K894Vn...0/img_9318.jpg

Looks like a nice ride to me.:evil

Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:12 AM.