ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The perfect line and other riding myths (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Killboy failure Dragon Fest (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454662)

Boon Booni 05-25-2012 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huzband (Post 18765370)
Moral; pay better attention so you don't wind up looking like a douche.

Even better Moral of the story, learn to ride that thing before taking your mom to the dragon.

daveinva 05-25-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roam (Post 18764849)
Do you realize how popular v-stroms and klrs are on this forum?

:rofl

DougZ73 05-25-2012 10:31 AM

My two cents...from someone who has actually highsided....although at a track and not the Dragon. But I have ridden Dragon too.

It was a high side. But not you average highside.

My take on it is as follows:

1. He is backing it in the turns, kicking out the rear end and spinning the tire under semi controlled drifting...like the SM guys like to do. Tail end kicked out to outside of turn, rider's left.

2. he probably got off gas, since turn might have been tighter than expected, or what ever reason, wheel gains sudden traction, and starts the highside.

3. This is where its different. Probably due to camber of the turn, in the middle of the highside, perhaps with him trying to hang on, the back end comes around a little bit, and gets carried passed neutral(straight) , and ends up continuing with the flipping action of the highside, throwing him off in the process, over right side of bike. Perhaps even a little tank slapper in there, which pointed bike other way, and front wheel now closer to yellow line.

4. Bike is behind rider, momentum continuing to make it spin..tail coming around.

typical lowside: bike out front of rider, before bike spinning around.
typical highside: rider in front of bike, before bike spinning around.

NJ-Brett 05-25-2012 10:40 AM

The first shot looks cool, and in the last shot, it looks like he is laughing.
I think its his ex wifes bike....

LittleRedToyota 05-25-2012 10:49 AM

notice in the first and second pics, he has a barkbuster on the throttle side, but not the clutch side.

in the 3rd pic, he no longer has a barkbuster on either side. :rofl

i think this is not the first time he has messed up drifting. looks like last time was in the other direction, though. :rofl

keep on keepin' on brother. :freaky

DougZ73 05-25-2012 10:53 AM

I have had buddies, in my riding groups, crash more than once a day on the Dragon, often messing up both side of their ride. That road is no joke and sometimes people push their limits more than they should, or have the ability to handle.

Personally, the blind rights always made me nervous, so I never pushed too hard. I have a real issue with not being able to see where I am going before I get there.....especially on that road. The track is a different story.

workerant 05-25-2012 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geg (Post 18763897)

Nope - Butler's Towing from Walland, TN. If you ever need to get a bike towed that's NOT already fucked up and you want it to remain not fucked up, these are the people you call. :clap

Skyclad 05-25-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJ-Brett (Post 18766044)
The first shot looks cool, and in the last shot, it looks like he is laughing.
I think its his ex wifes bike....

That is a good reason for ATGATT...you can laugh at your own stupidity even as you are doing it.:lol3

BTDT

NCStephen 05-25-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougZ73 (Post 18765973)
My two cents...from someone who has actually highsided....although at a track and not the Dragon. But I have ridden Dragon too.

It was a high side. But not you average highside.

My take on it is as follows:

1. He is backing it in the turns, kicking out the rear end and spinning the tire under semi controlled drifting...like the SM guys like to do. Tail end kicked out to outside of turn, rider's left.

2. he probably got off gas, since turn might have been tighter than expected, or what ever reason, wheel gains sudden traction, and starts the highside.

3. This is where its different. Probably due to camber of the turn, in the middle of the highside, perhaps with him trying to hang on, the back end comes around a little bit, and gets carried passed neutral(straight) , and ends up continuing with the flipping action of the highside, throwing him off in the process, over right side of bike. Perhaps even a little tank slapper in there, which pointed bike other way, and front wheel now closer to yellow line.

4. Bike is behind rider, momentum continuing to make it spin..tail coming around.

typical lowside: bike out front of rider, before bike spinning around.
typical highside: rider in front of bike, before bike spinning around.

Here he never got the wheel to spinning I think as his clutch is all the way in against the bars. From 1st pic to 2nd pic is only about 1.5 bike lengths and it changed orientation 90 degrees. See the position of the leaf to the inside of the turn and that he had just exited the shadows. That's a pretty violent transition for most of us average dudes and suffice it to say, I don't think he planned it that way or that the bike just kinda slide around on him. In the last pic you can see some of the scuff marks of the front wheel as the bike rotated counter clockwise

Note to self, never do something for a camera.

DiabloADV 05-25-2012 11:15 AM

It's not a high side OR a low side.

It's a Bubba Scrub without the ensuing downhill.

DougZ73 05-25-2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCStephen (Post 18766255)
Here he never got the wheel to spinning I think as his clutch is all the way in against the bars. From 1st pic to 2nd pic is only about 1.5 bike lengths and it changed orientation 90 degrees. See the position of the leaf to the inside of the turn and that he had just exited the shadows. That's a pretty violent transition for most of us average dudes and suffice it to say, I don't think he planned it that way or that the bike just kinda slide around on him. In the last pic you can see some of the scuff marks of the front wheel as the bike rotated counter clockwise

Note to self, never do something for a camera.

I saw smoke coming coming off back tire, and assumed he was spinning it. Usually when a bike tire slides, does not make too much smoke. When spinning up, they do tend to smoke up. There is a "blackie" behind him...not sure from spinning tire or brake sliding of tire.

In either case, whether brake slide induced or wheel spin induced, he highsided that mofo. :lol3

DougZ73 05-25-2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiabloADV (Post 18766256)
It's not a high side OR a low side.

It's a Bubba Scrub without the ensuing downhill.

Or do you mean a " Bubba Dump" or a Huck-a-buck??

TrashCan 05-25-2012 11:30 AM

Sold to...

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...34246633_n.jpg

TrashCan 05-25-2012 11:35 AM

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...06439652_n.jpg

KPK 05-25-2012 11:58 AM

My two cents on the Duck backing it into the corner. It looks like he was locking the rear brake up and not on the power. If you look at the chain while the tire is smoking there is no tension on the top of the chain. Maybe he panicked when he saw that little rock in the road :huh

Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:21 AM.