ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The perfect line and other riding myths (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Killboy failure Dragon Fest (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454662)

AviatorTroy 05-14-2011 11:19 AM

Quote:

When my wife starts smacking the back of my helmet... I know to either put the front wheel back down or back off the pace just a tad. Usually anything short of dragging her feet is fine with her.
Haha, my wife is the same. I turn it down just a little bit when she is with me but I always manage the risks and do my best not to kill or maim my love. However, she NEVER complains about my riding. :evil

NJ-Brett 05-14-2011 05:35 PM

I wonder what the motives are.
I think most people have a hard time being on the ragged edge of serious injury without being in control themselves.

I suppose its fine to go wild if the person on the back likes it, but wonder if they realize the true results of failure.

The people in the pix here are all ok with going down, and risking death from a head on, and were ok with putting a bare hand down on the asphalt at speed?
I just can't buy that most were telling the rider to go faster, with a good idea in their heads of what was going to happen if things went wrong.
I think they had a misplaced trust in the person in control of the bike and gave little thought about what could happen if the rider was not as good as he thought he was.

It sure takes a lot of trust in a person to get on the back of a bike and let them go wild. I could never do it. My wife can not do it.

gmiguy 05-14-2011 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJ-Brett (Post 15912486)
I suppose its fine to go wild if the person on the back likes it, but wonder if they realize the true results of failure.

The people in the pix here are all ok with going down, and risking death from a head on, and were ok with putting a bare hand down on the asphalt at speed?
It sure takes a lot of trust in a person to get on the back of a bike and let them go wild. I could never do it. My wife can not do it.

You seem to have shifted from one extreme to the other. You were talking in terms of "mellow" and now it's "going wild". There's a large middle ground that you're ignoring - the one that says "ride pretty much the same way you would if you were alone".

When riding alone I'm neither "mellow" nor "wild" but what I'd consider spirited but safe. I see no reason that carrying a passenger should change this.

If you get on a motorcycle without gloves then you are implicitly OK with putting a bare hand on the asphalt at speed, regardless of whether you're the operator or the passenger. I'm not sure where you were going with this, anyway. People should ride different because their passenger's too dumb to gear up?

Maybe I'm crazy. I don't harass people riding in my car to put their seatbelts on, or lecture my friends that they should stop smoking. I'm happy to let adults make their own risk assessments without help from me.

Some Mook 05-15-2011 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmiguy (Post 15912777)
...I'm happy to let adults make their own risk assessments without help from me....

This assumes that the adults in question have a complete grasp on the risks involved?

I haven't seen an awful lot of flip-flop, bikini clad pillon passengers holding the waist of an ATGATT rider. Some people who don't know better tend to follow the lead of those that they follow...

gelandestrasse 05-15-2011 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Some Mook (Post 15915970)
This assumes that the adults in question have a complete grasp on the risks involved?

I haven't seen an awful lot of flip-flop, bikini clad pillon passengers holding the waist of an ATGATT rider. Some people who don't know better tend to follow the lead of those that they follow...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-GU7syDDhxK...0/img_2888.jpg

xcgates 05-15-2011 04:40 PM

Quote:

As hard as it can be to stomach, actions have consequences, even if the person doesn't realize what they are at the time. Darwin does his best.

Do we need/want laws regulating everything so nobody can ever put themselves into a position where they hurt themselves? I don't need or want such laws.

gmiguy 05-15-2011 05:38 PM

Quote:

The risks of riding a motorcycle are fairly obvious.

They are fast, inherently unstable, very sensitive to road conditions, and with few exceptions have absolutely zero crash safety featured beyond those which the riders choose to wear.

Roads are abrasive, and often found in close proximity to hard, heavy objects - some of which are attached to the ground, or made out of steel and moving very quickly.

If the operator screws up, the bike will go down. If the bike goes down, the people on it will hit the road surface and possibly the surrounding objects with a large amount of energy. If that happens, gear is a good thing to have.

Are there really many adults who can't "completely grasp" this? I doubt it. That people make different choices than you and I doesn't mean that they don't understand the choice they are making.

univibe88 05-15-2011 05:47 PM

:huh

Jamie Z 05-15-2011 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmiguy (Post 15919874)
Are there really many adults who can't "completely grasp" this? I doubt it. That people make different choices than you and I doesn't mean that they don't understand the choice they are making.

There are. I was one of them. There's a picture of me on my first road bike a couple years ago wearing jeans, t-shirt, tennis shoes, and a full face helmet. No, it's not that I didn't realize it could hurt if I fell, but at that time I wasn't aware of the variety of riding gear.

I think media and society has a lot to do with it too. I've picked up a couple girls on my bike and they walked out wearing shorts and sandals. Yes, they knew it could hurt, but both of them told me thats what they've always seen other girls wear.

Strange as it may sound, such an obvious concept does sometimes require teaching, even to otherwise bright individuals.

Jamie

kg4lho 05-15-2011 07:50 PM

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-02ONSiXNjU...0/img_6624.jpg

NJ-Brett 05-15-2011 07:52 PM

I was just responding to the comments here about dragging pegs with the wife/ex wife/girlfriend on the bike.

I see it all the time, some bozo riding down a very high risk road, at rush hour, on some chopper thing, with a girl on the back in shorts, etc.
Is she thinking about how those stunning looking legs are going to look after a crash?
Is the bozo thinking about it?
No way I would ride that road at rush hour, even with gear on.
Then he is going to show the girl how great the bike runs, or do some bad ass shit to impress her.
Combined IQ of about 20....

I am not saying there should be any laws about it.
If someone wants to ride a bike that does 180 mph in heavy traffic just wearing shorts, that is fine with me. I worry about the passenger on back taking their cues from the rider.
I once witnessed a low speed tip over down the shore, the guy hit some sand in a turn. Both were wearing shorts, she had flip flops (it was at the beach), short sleeve shirts, both were a REAL mess after the dump, vacation ruined, she had a broken ankle at least, he was missing a lot of skin.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmiguy (Post 15912777)
You seem to have shifted from one extreme to the other. You were talking in terms of "mellow" and now it's "going wild". There's a large middle ground that you're ignoring - the one that says "ride pretty much the same way you would if you were alone".

When riding alone I'm neither "mellow" nor "wild" but what I'd consider spirited but safe. I see no reason that carrying a passenger should change this.

If you get on a motorcycle without gloves then you are implicitly OK with putting a bare hand on the asphalt at speed, regardless of whether you're the operator or the passenger. I'm not sure where you were going with this, anyway. People should ride different because their passenger's too dumb to gear up?

Maybe I'm crazy. I don't harass people riding in my car to put their seatbelts on, or lecture my friends that they should stop smoking. I'm happy to let adults make their own risk assessments without help from me.

kg4lho 05-15-2011 08:08 PM

What's up with these clowns??
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Y0sWXYyguu...0/img_8609.jpg
Weee!! Look at me! I'm a ridin' side saddle! I'm a ridin' side saddle!

What's the bloke on the ninjer doin??

i_4ce 05-15-2011 11:32 PM

The guy on the KLR was born with three legs.

The guy on the ninja had his shins blown off in Nam.

NJ-Brett 05-16-2011 05:46 AM

The guy in back is adjusting his turn signals.
KLR riders you just don't take seriously.

lemieuxmc 05-16-2011 08:40 AM

Just came from the Nuclear Cowboyz show and wanted to try a Can-Can?

Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:42 AM.