ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The perfect line and other riding myths (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Killboy failure Dragon Fest (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454662)

SgtDuster 05-19-2011 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myopic (Post 15951317)

If on an empty, winding levee road, once again with a clear line of sight, do you stay in your lane or use most of the road?(take the inside line)

You always think that you have clear line of sight until you discover something you didn't see or expect.

But even if there's nothing wrong in doing it, even if you really have clear line of sight, even if this or that...what's the point? Why would you choose to use both lanes? This is the real question. It always was.

Boon Booni 05-19-2011 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SgtDuster (Post 15952731)
You always think that you have clear line of sight until you discover something you didn't see or expect.

But even if there's nothing wrong in doing it, even if you really have clear line of sight, even if this or that...what's the point? Why would you choose to use both lanes? This is the real question. It always was.

Like going home with the fat chick at the end of the night, sometimes it's the right thing to do.

Blur 05-19-2011 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boon Booni (Post 15952771)
Like going home with the fat chick at the end of the night, sometimes it's the right thing to do.

Just don't let your riding buddies see you doing it.

windmill 05-19-2011 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boon Booni (Post 15952684)
That's even stupider than putting a car tire on a motorcycle.

I used to drive 105,500 pound, 100 foot long, double trailer trucks on roads like that. It really sucks. It is difficult and stressful for the driver, inefficient time and money wise for the trucking company, but if it is the only route to where your going your stuck doing it.

outlaws justice 05-19-2011 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myopic (Post 15951317)
I have a couple of questions for the never-crossers who have posted.

First of all, I think every statement made by crossers on this topic, has stressed a clear line of sight.

Is your position on crossing the center of the road the same, regardless of striping ie, double line, single broken line, what about roads with no line?

What about an empty, non divided 4 lane highway? Do you pick a lane and stay in it, or move from one lane to the other, taking the inside line?

If on an empty, winding levee road, once again with a clear line of sight, do you stay in your lane or use most of the road?(take the inside line)

Lastly, I'm sure you use the whole lane you are riding in, but doesn't that take away from the joy of riding as some have stated?

Forget line of sight, the road is divided, you have your side (12 feet plus or minus) the point is to stay on your side of the road. If you are not on your side than you are doing something wrong. If you are trying to make good time, try doing it within your lane, if you can't do that then you have to work on your skills, or just slow down. Think of your lane as the entire road, what if that is all the road you had (It is! That is why there is a solid line)

Want to go fast? Fine I have no problem with that either, but treat YOUR lane as the track, if you cannot stay in your lane you just ran off the track and crashed.

ReactorTrip 05-19-2011 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by windmill (Post 15953277)
I used to drive 105,500 pound, 100 foot long, double trailer trucks on roads like that. It really sucks. It is difficult and stressful for the driver, inefficient time and money wise for the trucking company, but if it is the only route to where your going your stuck doing it.

Pretty much it and it's the reason this interstate was proposed, but has not happened and pretty much a dead issue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_3

One of the proposed routes would of taken the dragon off the map.

Boon Booni 05-19-2011 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blur (Post 15952794)
Just don't let your riding buddies see you doing it.

It's a Zen Koan..

If you go home with a fat chick,
and no one is there to see it,
did you actually go home with a fat chick?

enigmatic_redhabu 05-19-2011 04:36 PM

What is so big deal about this road? :dunno

LuciferMutt 05-19-2011 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enigmatic_redhabu (Post 15954922)

It's curvy.

Like thousands of other roads across the world. I don't get the big attraction either. Looks like a death trap to me.

Boon Booni 05-19-2011 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilNinjaDog (Post 15954987)
It's curvy.

Like thousands of other roads across the world. I don't get the big attraction either. Looks like a death trap to me.

You forgot that it's got a cool name.

Cumminsman76 05-19-2011 04:57 PM

Quote:

It's reallycurvy.

Figst.:deal

enigmatic_redhabu 05-19-2011 05:15 PM

Quote:

It's curvy.

Colorado has a many and many curvy, narrow, exposed and tighter switchback roads than that.. I guess I am so used to riding in those kind of roads, so I thought it was odd to seeing pics of people crashing and falling off from just a little switchback.

outlaws justice 05-19-2011 07:03 PM

Quote:

THIS road is 13 miles with NO Driveways, and NO intersections. Yes there are many other great roads, but none that can make those claims and also be that curvey. I rode a lot of nice roads in that region, but always watching for driveways and intersections

ReactorTrip 05-19-2011 07:09 PM

Quote:

It's one of the best curvy roads in the eastern united states. It's located in an area with a ton of other good roads. It's a popular motorcycle/sportscar hangout. The road borders the 3rd most visited national park in the country. The area also includes one of the biggest redneck vacation spots on earth.

univibe88 05-19-2011 07:18 PM

And they marketed it well by naming it, making stickers, etc.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:35 AM.