ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The perfect line and other riding myths (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Killboy failure Dragon Fest (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454662)

Grreatdog 08-10-2012 07:33 AM

What ever little bit I might give up in situational awareness with a full face, though I don't actually believe I give up any, I will gladly trade for the protection of a full face. I can't hear much in any helmet with ear plugs in anyway. And my full face helmets have zero effect on my vision.

And what the guy behind me in jury duty was talking about specifically was his vision. I pointed out to the guy that I can't see any part of my offroad full face except the visor and can only see the top of the chin bar on my street helmet. So I thought maybe his experience was limited.

Which turned out to be true. He said he hadn't worn a full face helmet in decades. So we have an MSF instructor not only giving bad advice but basing it something he had very limited experience with. All of which did not give me a warm fuzzy feeling about MSF classes in Anne Arundel County, MD.

The wannabe we were both talking to was incredulous when I told him I did a 55 to 60 mph slide on asphalt and walked away without a scratch. He kept saying he had a friend that rode some kind of cruiser and crashed at 45 "wearing riding gear" but got terrible road rash. That was his fear about riding.

I tried to explain that what looks like riding gear and is sold as riding gear may not be "safety gear". I explained about wearing decent gear with armor might not make fashion statement he wants but it will protect you from road rash, take most of the sting out of impacts and generally improve his chances of not seeing an ER.

Maybe I did some good. Maybe not. Both guys sort of looked at me like I was from another planet.

100mpg 08-10-2012 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Moore (Post 19327424)
Occasionally I get surprised by someone coming up behind me. I get pissed at myself for losing SA. I never thought to blame it on the helmet. Yeah! It's the helmet's fault!

I have to disagree. Unless you are a Ninja, a FF helmet significantly reduces awareness by reducing your vision. Having only used half helmets most of my life, it took a while to get used to wearing a FF.

daveinva 08-10-2012 07:38 AM

To each their own, but I've never had any less situational awareness in a FF versus a half-helmet-- if anything, I enjoy *greater* situational awareness without a bunch of wind smacking me in the face and rushing over my ears. In the FF, even with earplugs in, I hear the sounds I need to hear better than I do wearing anything less.

Just spend the time and money to find a light, comfortable and properly-fitting FF with a big viewport (with my Qwest, I lose what, a few degrees of peripheral vision at most... and gain all the comfort and safety of the FF).

RDTCU 08-10-2012 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 100mpg (Post 19327510)
I have to disagree. Unless you are a Ninja, a FF helmet significantly reduces awareness by reducing your vision. Having only used half helmets most of my life, it took a while to get used to wearing a FF.

Buy a dualsport/supermoto helmet. Extra wide field of view.

Grreatdog 08-10-2012 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RDTCU (Post 19327554)
Buy a dualsport/supermoto helmet. Extra wide field of view.

Exactly. Like I posted above, I can't see the edges of the eyeports in mine so I don't understand how they could possibly have a negative affect on my vision.

klaviator 08-10-2012 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Evil Twin (Post 19324835)

LOL, I guess in my Sam Adams induced thought process I didn't exactly get the words out as to where the process was going. I can understand your assumption of limited experience, but it would be incorrect. If you are already leaned in and grab the front brakes you will generally run wide, and possibly tuck the front. I was speaking of braking when you are already in a curve. Just as the girl in the pic was already mid turn.
Now, although at first I took it as such, I'll assume you weren't trying to be condescending :freaky. Yes, I have heard of that countersteering thing. I also know how and when to use the front brakes (that whole "The increase in braking distance is the square of the speed increase" thing sticks with me). Applying the front brakes mid corner is not a good idea unless you are starting to straighten up.

I have never had any issue using the front brake in any part of a curve. This of course assumes that I am not way over and approaching the limits of my tires traction. Most of the bikes I have owned stay neutral when the front brakes are applied so there is no tendency to run wide regardless of where the brakes are applied. I have owned a few bikes that wanted to stand up and run wide when the front brakes are applied but that can be counteracted by anticipating that tendency and using countersteering. I have also had bikes that would stand up under front braking with one brand of tires but not with another brand. I'm going to guess that you have never ridden a bike that stays neutral when on the brakes.

Also, I prefer generally prefer using the front brake over the rear in a curve due to that fact that generally the front brake has better feel than the rear brake due to being actuated by hand instead of through a heavy boot.

I have spent a lot of time riding twisty mountain roads and have seen many crashes or at least the results of them. Over use of the rear brake was a factor in a high percentage of those crashes.

DAKEZ 08-10-2012 07:48 AM

Quote:

:topes

ttpete 08-10-2012 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveinva (Post 19327539)
To each their own, but I've never had any less situational awareness in a FF versus a half-helmet-- if anything, I enjoy *greater* situational awareness without a bunch of wind smacking me in the face and rushing over my ears. In the FF, even with earplugs in, I hear the sounds I need to hear better than I do wearing anything less.

Just spend the time and money to find a light, comfortable and properly-fitting FF with a big viewport (with my Qwest, I lose what, a few degrees of peripheral vision at most... and gain all the comfort and safety of the FF).

I think that one factor that causes dislike of full face helmets is that some persons may be claustrophobic and may or may not be aware of it.

WVhillbilly 08-10-2012 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RDTCU (Post 19327295)
GPS doesn't have a 18wheeler setting, and some idiots just hit "Go" and follow it blindly to the ends of the earth...

http://www.truckers-store.com/store-...097969638.html

And pictures, WTF.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...35578957_n.jpg

Griffin44 08-10-2012 08:02 AM

Quote:

I suppose this is why profesional motorsports drivers/riders don't wear FF because their situational awareness in the critical environment of a race would be significantly reduced. :rofl

I suppose you could also make the same argument that clothing reduces your situational awareness and so you should ride naked to be as sensitive to your environment as possible.

k9companion 08-10-2012 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttpete (Post 19327649)
I think that one factor that causes dislike of full face helmets is that some persons may be claustrophobic and may or may not be aware of it.

Interesting theory. :hmmmmm I was thinking something else might be the culprit. Something a stick of gum or breath mint might help with. :hide

daveinva 08-10-2012 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttpete (Post 19327649)

Oh, I've definitely heard that from some of my friends. I certainly was concerned about it back when I first started riding, but I quickly discovered that finding a good-fitting helmet is key, and giving it a little bit of time to get used to it. I'm a little claustrophobic myself but after a few hundred miles I became just fine wearing a FF, I wouldn't ride without one anymore, I'd feel naked, it's like a second skin now.

freeflow 08-10-2012 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megamoto (Post 19290091)
I'll bite.................

http://www.bmwmccc.org.za/sites/bmwm...s/images/3.jpg

He is in South Africa, so I guess he's falling off the planet?

he's on a treadmill. yup :nod

dmaxmike 08-10-2012 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griffin44 (Post 19327717)
I suppose this is why profesional motorsports drivers/riders don't wear FF because their situational awareness in the critical environment of a race would be significantly reduced. :rofl

i wear full face helmets all the time when riding and or racing. however rally car drives and co-drivers all wear open face helmets. Iím pretty sure itís the only thing youíre still aloud to race with an open face helmet. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

RidingDonkeys 08-10-2012 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griffin44 (Post 19327717)

I suppose you could also make the same argument that clothing reduces your situational awareness and so you should ride naked to be as sensitive to your environment as possible.

Well, let's bring this logic into another profession...the infantry.

Going to battle naked would certainly make for a more nimble and faster Infantryman, however, he would forego any protection from bullets. In a business where he WILL get shot at, we deem the choice to go naked to be stupid, and thus he wears 50lbs of armor.

However, a full faced helmet would do wonders to protect him from both bullets and explosions. Yet, it would greatly hinder his situaltion awareness, vision, and ability to move swiftly through the battlespace. So, he wears a half helmet and eye protection.

This decision is made using all the tools available and a fundamental understanding of what he will encounter on the battlefield.

Likewise, a motoGP racer WILL crash. A full face helmet offers him better protection for a crash, and increased aerodynamics to aide him in moving more quickly around the track. A half helmet would catch too much air, allow debris to hit him in the face, and offer less protection in a crash. The logical choice here is a full faced helmet.

Now I'm not trying to turn this thread into a debate for the sanctimonious ATGATT Police to pounce upon. I was merely offering up some personal observations based on my life of riding with an array of different helmet styles. You make the right choice for you, ride your own ride, and you leave everyone else the hell alone. It really is that simple.

Sent from my Droid 2 Global using Typotalk 2

Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:29 PM.