ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Layin' down tracks (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   City Nav North America NT 2010 coming out next week (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=466199)

9Dave 05-19-2009 08:53 PM

City Nav North America NT 2010 coming out next week

I ordered a full version of CN NT NA for my 60csx a couple weeks ago. It never showed. Called Garmin and the nice customer service rep told me that the 2010 version was coming out next week and would ship on the 27th.

She did offer to upgrade my shipping to 2nd day since they didn't tell me about the monthlong delay. I gladly accepted.:D

wbrisett 05-20-2009 02:21 AM

The download version is already available. I had to ship my Zumo 450 off for repair, they shipped me a refurb unit. When I registered it via their website, it told me there was an update available. It was the 2010 mapset.

Wayne

9Dave 05-20-2009 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wbrisett
The download version is already available. I had to ship my Zumo 450 off for repair, they shipped me a refurb unit. When I registered it via their website, it told me there was an update available. It was the 2010 mapset.

:nod

I have a download version for my 376c. But since the 60csx has not previously been registered with CN NT, they are not presenting any options to just give me an unlock code and install.

I don't really care - I just want both my units on the same software. I almost screwed the pooch on a ride I was leading a few weeks back with version conflicts on the route. Thankfully, I had the track, also.:D

KenR 05-20-2009 06:52 PM

I was on the phone with Garmin Support today for 3-1/2 hours...yes, that's right, 3-1/2 hours, fixing an issue with Mapsource. Anyway, the software tech I was speaking with said that City Navigator NT 2010 is in stock; my two copies will ship tomorrow.

Sure love Garmin...when their stuff is working.

9Dave 05-21-2009 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenR
Anyway, the software tech I was speaking with said that City Navigator NT 2010 is in stock; my two copies will ship tomorrow.

If it's a full version, good luck. That's the same thing I was told on 5/4.

But the customer service rep could have been hedging her bet with a 5/27 date.:dunno

KenR 05-28-2009 03:01 PM

Two copies arrived today!

9Dave 05-29-2009 04:28 AM

Yeah - I was told mine would ship on the 27th via 2nd day. UPS confirmed that. Should be on my doorstep today.

Don't anyone come by and steal it, either!:D

9Dave 05-29-2009 04:52 PM

Got it. Worst part is that it installs the new Mapsource version, and I haven't found a way to get around it - yet. Version is NT 2010.10, or something like that.

BlueLghtning 06-03-2009 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9Dave
Got it. Worst part is that it installs the new Mapsource version, and I haven't found a way to get around it - yet. Version is NT 2010.10, or something like that.

This was the case with the 2009.10 maps. You had to upgrade to at least past the 6.13.7 version where all the major changes took place. I saw all the complaints about the 6.14 version, so I at least waited till I had the 6.15.4 version of MapSource and thats what I run now. I've gotten used to the newer look of it and it does make it easier to see smaller roads.

PRW 06-04-2009 08:51 AM

Make sure you have the AC Adapter before upgrading...

With the 478 and possibly with other models, make sure that, when you're updating the map from 2009 to 2010.1, you use the AC Adapter or the update will NOT work. I learned the hard way on the road this week, when I made the stupid mistake of updating from a motel room. Worst part was that the attempted update process erased my 2009 map completely before it bombed out on the installation. There was no supporting documentation instructing that the unit must be connected to external power. I typically do not carry my AC adapter, so in my case, I was left without maps from Nevada back to Chicago... :bluduh

MotoJim 06-09-2009 09:07 PM

City Nav North America NT 2010 DVD Install

The new release of City Nav North America NT 2010 on DVD does not give the user the ability to specify the install location on the PC.

It apparently places the map data (over 1GB) on the C: drive. If you do not have enough space on the C: drive it will not allow the install.

What were they thinking? :eek1 Geesh, even Roads and Rec allowed the user to specify the location.

I'm going to call Garmin and ask how I can install the software on my D: drive. I bet their Tier-1 support folks don't have a clue about this.

Jim

PRW 06-09-2009 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotoJim
The new release of City Nav North America NT 2010 on DVD does not give the user the ability to specify the install location on the PC.

It apparently places the map data (over 1GB) on the C: drive. If you do not have enough space on the C: drive it will not allow the install.

What were they thinking? :eek1 Geesh, even Roads and Rec allowed the user to specify the location.

I'm going to call Garmin and ask how I can install the software on my D: drive. I bet their Tier-1 support folks don't have a clue about this.

Jim

Good luck and expect to wait at least an hour for them to answer, then at least another hour to talk to a Tier-2 support tech... :bluduh

What happened to Garmin, anyway?! They used to be such an excellent company to deal with and they've really gone to shit, IMO.

MotoJim 06-10-2009 10:28 AM

You'll need big C: drives starting now!

Well it only took 1.5 hours to get to someone who could help.

It's not pretty. Beginning with version 2010 and forever into the future the mapping software will only install to the C: drive. :eek1

The software guy I spoke with said they have had many discussions internally trying to overturn this edict but that's the way it's gonna be. It has something to do with their future map updating scheme.

Garmin is a legend in their own minds. This is especially true the higher you go in the organization. Every time something like this happens I get pissed off and go buy something from Lowrance. Garmin just doesn't have enough good competition.

Oh, the other thing that was said to me was that the mapping data sizes in the future are going to go way up.

I guess I'll go buy me a 1TB hard drive to use as my C: drive. :baldy

Jim

BlueLghtning 06-10-2009 02:38 PM

That has got to be the crappiest setup I've ever heard from Garmin thus far. :baldy People with multiple drives are pretty much screwed if they don't want it on their C drive.

I wonder if you did enough tweaking in the registry though if you could change it? Install on C: and then copy the folder structure over to another drive and change all drive references to its new location? I know I saw somewhere on here how to run MapSource off say a thumb drive for those little SSD type laptops with limited HD space. Maybe there's hints in there that could be used to get this to work elsewhere.

Still, I'm starting to get discouraged on the types of decisions Garmin is making like this.

XPatriot 06-11-2009 10:03 AM

Back to the original topic, ordered City Nav NT this week, and the 2010 version arrived.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:58 AM.