ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Layin' down tracks (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Just ordered the Asus Eee 901 (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476134)

tankhead 06-17-2009 02:29 PM

Just ordered the Asus Eee 901

I have a Zumo 450. What would you recommend installing on my XP 901. I hear guys putting Garmin CN NT I have also read a lot about guys putting on Google Earth and then installing the Delorme TOPO 8 also. If you have been through it before, what do you find to be the most useful, easy to use, track, apply routes, etc. What would you not waste time with. Let it fly.

tankhead 06-18-2009 04:43 PM

tanks

tankhead 06-22-2009 01:14 PM

Update

Well my buddy pulled some stuff I will not need off of the unit. MS Works. Kept Sar Officeon. He then went ahead and installed a ton of security on it. The next step is to do away with the partition of the c drive and the d drive and combine the storage just to c drive. We shall see. I am really diggin' this little device.

cruceno 06-22-2009 01:38 PM

Lemme (or us...if anybody else is out there) know how that works for you on the road. Does it seem sturdy enough to be put in a pannier, in a reasonably padded case, without vibrating the thing to pieces? Or would it be something I'd have to baby?? How's the battery life vs. the stated 7hrs?

Seems like a neat little piece of kit, and I'm interested in getting one. But like anything, I like to play with it before buying!

Thanks

cbmwgs 06-22-2009 01:54 PM

eeepc

Quote:

Originally Posted by tankhead
I have a Zumo 450. What would you recommend installing on my XP 901. I hear guys putting Garmin CN NT I have also read a lot about guys putting on Google Earth and then installing the Delorme TOPO 8 also. If you have been through it before, what do you find to be the most useful, easy to use, track, apply routes, etc. What would you not waste time with. Let it fly.

I have a 900A with aftermarket memory chip (fast) I have garmin mapsource with maping programs:metroguide (old software, but showes dirt roads at 3 miles. city nav v8 which shows dirt at 1/2 mile. World map for Mexico and other countries.

I have hauled this unit on trips to Mexico and Ark, MO, MS, and other states in US. I have had no problems with my 900a, except the keys are very close together.

tankhead 06-23-2009 07:52 AM

I would imagine that because of the ssd it is going to be quite reliable for a long time. I am having a problem with flash player at the moment. Also skype will not load. My buddy should be fixing all this before Sat when I leave for Iceland for a week. I am finding this thing to be quite functional.

rpminmn 06-23-2009 08:54 AM

I don't have a 901 but I do have an Asus Eee 1000HA and a Dell Mini-9. The little netbooks are very nice. I just brought the mini-9 (2GB ram and 32GB SSD) on a 3500 mile trip from MN to TN and back. Other than the lid and keyboard, it has no moving parts (fanless & ssd) and together with it's small footprint I found it convenient to use and easy to pack. Battery life is about 3 hours.

I have osx installed on the mini-9 and have the Garmin RoadTrip software and maps installed on a sdhc card. It's not quick, but fast enough to be useful.

-bob

250senuf 06-23-2009 06:10 PM

12V netbook/laptop charger

I have an Acer Aspire One SSD netbook, bought for longer trips to make the GPS more useable. Also for caching some Google Earth info.
I just found a universal charger made by Kensington. Model K33403. Works with either 100-240V AC 50/60Hz or 11-16V DC. Can also draw power from some airplane sockets (15V DC, Airline EMPOWER compatible). Choice of either 14 - 17 or 17 - 21 volts out; up to 5A; max 90 watts. Also outputs voltage via USB; 5V DC, 1A max. The tip selector chart doesn't list ASUS. A call to 1-866-908-4357 could sort that out.
I rigged it up to my bike's battery temporarily with an ammeter inline. 2.3 A running the netbook while also charging netbook battery, and 1.5 A running netbook with the battery detached.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:40 PM.