ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Layin' down tracks (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Custom Splash Screen GPSMap 478. (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=485604)

ckgdrums 07-15-2009 08:43 AM

Custom Splash Screen GPSMap 478.
 
I was wondering if anyone has had any success using xImage and uploading a custom splash screen to the 478? I tried a couple of times and kept getting a compatibility error.

Steve W 07-15-2009 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckgdrums
I was wondering if anyone has had any success using xImage and uploading a custom splash screen to the 478? I tried a couple of times and kept getting a compatibility error.

It's worked fine for me, but remember , your image has to be the exact size and format or it will not work. Use xImage to download a screen shot from the unit and use that as a template for format and size. Don't forget they have to be .bmp files.

ckgdrums 07-15-2009 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve W
It's worked fine for me, but remember , your image has to be the exact size and format or it will not work. Use xImage to download a screen shot from the unit and use that as a template for format and size. Don't forget they have to be .bmp files.

I made it a .bmp file, and resized the image to 480x320 like the other one was, but for some reason it didn't like something about the image I was using. I guess I'll have to keep trying.

Steve W 07-15-2009 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckgdrums
I made it a .bmp file, and resized the image to 480x320 like the other one was, but for some reason it didn't like something about the image I was using. I guess I'll have to keep trying.

Check the color depth and color palate of a downloaded screenshot. I bet the problem is there.

ckgdrums 07-15-2009 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve W
Check the color depth and color palate of a downloaded screenshot. I bet the problem is there.

Okay, will do.

ckgdrums 07-23-2009 04:17 AM

UPDATE: Okay, I have tried to edit images with MS Paint, PhotoDraw, Adobe PhotoShop (which I do NOT know how to use) and I cannot get anything to transfer to the 478, EXCEPT for a black background only, it transferred just fine....figures.

So, is there anyone that has had some success creating a Splash Screen with any of the above mentioned programs? And, if so, could you list the specific properties of that image so I could attempt to duplicate that with the image I am trying to send?

Thank you.

Steve W 07-23-2009 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckgdrums
UPDATE: Okay, I have tried to edit images with MS Paint, PhotoDraw, Adobe PhotoShop (which I do NOT know how to use) and I cannot get anything to transfer to the 478, EXCEPT for a black background only, it transferred just fine....figures.

So, is there anyone that has had some success creating a Splash Screen with any of the above mentioned programs? And, if so, could you list the specific properties of that image so I could attempt to duplicate that with the image I am trying to send?

Thank you.

I just fiddled a bit in Windows...... It's been awhile :D. A combination of Paint and the resizing powertoy will get the right dimensions (480x320) and color depth (256) but I can't find a way to alter the resolution with them. The resolution must also be changed to 96 dpi. There are a bunch of online image converters, maybe worth a try. I originally used a free version of ACDsee to do this but as with most of the original Windows "freeware", it isn't anymore. HTH.

Edit:

This might help.

Jamie Z 07-23-2009 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve W
the right dimensions (480x320) and color depth (256) but I can't find a way to alter the resolution with them. The resolution must also be changed to 96 dpi.

Irfanview will do all of that.

Jamie

ckgdrums 07-23-2009 01:13 PM

Thank you. I'll try that and see what I can come up with.

ckgdrums 07-23-2009 01:22 PM

IRFanView did the trick. Thank you very much!

Jamie Z 07-25-2009 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckgdrums
IRFanView did the trick. Thank you very much!

:thumb


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014