ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Garage (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   How to (almost) kill yourself with brake cleaner (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=488740)

skierd 07-23-2009 08:53 PM

How to (almost) kill yourself with brake cleaner

http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm

Be careful out there guys, especially those of you welding or other high heat type jobs on the bike.

Inane Cathode 07-23-2009 09:04 PM

Cant remember which, either r12 or r134 but when it burns it makes mustard gas.

azcagiva 07-23-2009 09:34 PM

I think its r22

-John

mark1305 07-23-2009 09:36 PM

Good warning. I used to only worry about zinc fume sickness, but since I do use carb cleaner and brake cleaners to degrease stuff that I may later weld on, this is an eye opener.

Thanks for posting.

showkey 07-23-2009 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inane Cathode
Cant remember which, either r12 or r134 but when it burns it makes mustard gas.

Mustard gas is bad:puke1 :puke1 but:

Quote from and A/C training manual FAQ:
They could also test for leaks before evacuating it by using an electronic "sniffer". In the past, a propane heated halide detector with an attached hose was used. Refrigerant would be sucked into the hose and cause the flame to turn bright green. This is mentioned for historical purposes only. Burning R-12 produces toxic phosgene gas and this old technique and equipment should no longer be used.

Phosgene is bad too :puke1 :puke1 mustard is worse if it matters............

Anorak 07-23-2009 10:58 PM

Any chlorinated solvent is going to cause grief if combusted. Any chlorofluorocarbon or even hydrofluorocarbon. Any of the halogens deserve plenty of respect. Fluorine is the most reactive element on the periodic table. Anyhow, thanks for the article, I've got a few different chlorinated cleaners around and I have been fairly casual in their use.

SnowMule 07-23-2009 11:27 PM

Chemistry can be fun too.

But yes, vapor decomposition is definately something to watch out for. Even those cans of compressed "air" will react with other gases and mix into rather dangerous substances.

Always always always always be careful when welding... know your surroundings, know who/what's around you (dogs, kids), know what you're welding and what's on the other side of the weld....

Commuter Boy 07-24-2009 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark1305
Good warning. I used to only worry about zinc fume sickness, but since I do use carb cleaner and brake cleaners to degrease stuff that I may later weld on, this is an eye opener.

Thanks for posting.

Acetone is what we used when I did my aerospace welding apprenticeship. Put it in little squeeze bottles with a needle point so you can get it right where you want it.

mark1305 07-24-2009 08:20 PM

Yep, I use that too. And denatured alcohol for some stuff.

My liver should glow in the dark by now from all the solvent stuff I used to expose my skin to back in the 70s in factories that never saw OSHA inspectors. Not to mention all the tax-paid ethanol it has metabolized :evil

Maybe it's true that what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger. Hopefully...

Jonex 07-25-2009 12:30 PM

Holy crap this freaks me out. I expected to see some kind of ho hum yawn fire deal.

Good info thanks.

datchew 07-25-2009 07:50 PM

Good info to pass along.
This might merit being a sticky. At least a sticky saying "don't eat the toxic chemicals and here's why" or something.

Safety's a tough thing to stay diligent on.

Thank you for linking to it.

katbeanz 07-25-2009 08:20 PM

I use this stuff a lot, but had no idea it could be this dangerous or how small of an amount could kill you. :yikes

Jonex 07-25-2009 08:30 PM

I used to work in the chemical industry, and I got to run preps with warnings from the chemists saying stuff like mutagen, teratogen, extra-head-ogen, stuff like that. One night a few of us started puking after work, no warning, just instant projectile vomitous. Another time all of us guys got a bad burning down there after a spill clean up.
Honestly, the stuff that really spooked me wasn't the really nasty stuff I dealt with occasionally like silanes and cyanides and stuff, but the day in and day out exposures to MTBE, acetone, THF, and other solvents that I sprayed around with wild abandon. I figure the MTBE (ether) is pretty much permanently stuck in my fatty tissues and I'll die of cancer someday. Kinda sucks.

I should have known about this whole brake cleaner deal, or at least have a higher awareness level.

This is a good reminder to be careful out there, wear your PPE and use a mask.

Acetone is a big rip off. It costs about 70 cents a gallon in bulk, so when you buy some, bend over. Oh, and it will kill you too so wear gloves.

Have fun...

daltonzach 07-25-2009 10:44 PM

i'm freaking out man.... good info to think about.

JDLuke 07-26-2009 04:06 AM

Scary stuff, and in part an inevitable outcome of our profusion of warning labels. They sit there on everything you buy... "Wolf!" - Don't ride this bicycle without a light. "Wolf!" - Licking the inside of this light socket could really hurt you. "Wolf!" - The state of California has decided that you'd better know there is a bit of lead in this wire's insulation. "Wolf!" - Sharp edges can hurt your wittle finger. "Wolf!" - Inhaling smoke may lead to long term health effects. "Wolf!" - If you apply a little heat to just a tiny bit of this stuff you will be killed. Whoops, that one SHOULD have a warning label, but I ignored it as I am now wont to do.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:31 AM.