ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Trials (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   A whole year without competing in trials.. the effects (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=507120)

jjustj 09-16-2009 08:38 PM

A whole year without competing in trials.. the effects

are now clear to me.
I have been competing in trials since about 1990.
I moved up through the classes to reach advanced class at one time. Then went back to intermediate class in one form or another IE:
SR. Intermediate etc. I have competed in only one national, but have competed in New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Wisconsin and Italy twice.
I am proud to boast that I have been beaten on TWO continents!!!
several years ago i got a KTM 450 exc, great bike and great to explore with.
Here are my observations from Not Competing in trials. ( It was never about winning but trying to just to try to avoid having any 5s) for me. And the great people I got to hang with.

1. Not in the shape that I am used to.
2. general sense of balance has been reduced greatly
3. Flexibility is reduced
4. MIss trials buddys
5. Not picking the best "lines" for riding using my strengths
6. getting the self satisfaction of cleaning a section that seems almost
impossible the first two laps.
7. Picking an unseen line by others to try in a section, (hopefully sucessfully) .

In conclusion, I may try to rejoin the RMTA next year and compete even if only in the Sr. Amateur class. It doesn't help if the guy ya went to events with moved away so you have to drive solo to the events.

brewtus 09-17-2009 07:56 AM

You know that we (New Mexico Trials Association) are holding an event in Lake Fork canyon on the 3rd and 4th of October, right? You are cordially invited (and anyone else for that matter!) to come on down and join us. I am the Lower trialsmaster on Saturday, and have some really fun sections scouted out. It would be a good "warm up" for RMTA competition next year! :thumb

jjustj 09-17-2009 09:41 PM

hope you posted the event

in upcoming events sticky, wish i could but headed to Utah near then! :) thanks tho! i rode there for a forth of july blast many years ago!:bow

brewtus 09-18-2009 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjustj
i rode there for a forth of july blast many years ago!:bow

4th of July Blast?? The club hasn't done that in YEARS, although there is talk about reviving it and some other fun stuff (Katchina nats, Jemez cup, etc.). Enjoy Utah, keep us in mind for December in San Ysidro (the November event is in Roswell 230 miles south of here). :thumb

2whlrcr 09-18-2009 02:15 PM

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Face it, you're old. Time to just give up. Someone your age should be picking out a nice rocking chair.:fyyff

brewtus 09-21-2009 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2whlrcr
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Face it, you're old. Time to just give up. Someone your age should be picking out a nice rocking chair.:fyyff

Yeouch! Harsh. Very harsh. :lurk

plasticweld 09-24-2009 04:08 PM

I have followed almost the very same path I rode for 11 years did the nationals they got into sport bikes It was time for a change, I road race now and bring my trials bike to the race track to use as my pit bike...coolest pit bike there

I have a great place to practice in my back yard I now have a 280 gas gas that is a 02 I miss my old 99 350 gas gas that was the last new trials bike I had... I did a event this year also dropped down from Advanced to senior Intermediate. still made plenty of mistakes had tons of fun so all of my old friends who still rode and spent about a $1000 less for a weekend of riding.

While trials still holds a place in my heart it has not yet replaced the rush of going a 170 mph at the track.. Maybe in a few years I will go back I do not figure that I will be road racing in my 60s

workutah 09-24-2009 06:34 PM

Lack Of Riding

If jjust is getting rusty, then I might as well sell the Sherco for lack of ability.

Hair 09-28-2009 07:01 AM

The skill set confessional. Or in my case the lack there off.
I tried Trials a few years ago. Never competed or anything like that. Even before I got into competition, the bike scared the hell out of me.

Having said that I really need to increase my skills.
Any chance the NMTA would ever consider adding a non-trials bike class. Something for us dirt riders to use as an introduction to trails riding and to start seeing the benefits of skills building? I think that if I could build my confidence some I might consider buying a trails bike again.

plasticweld 09-28-2009 09:03 AM

It is too bad you are so far away, if you spent some time on the bike with someone getting some basic instruction my guess a lot of it would come together for you.

My guess is there are other trials riders who would be willing to spend a afternoon with you and let you use their bike to gain some confidence. I have done that with many new riders so they felt comfortable on the bike and comfortable with spending that much money on a bike.

The cool thing about trials is the form and technique really matter a new style bike that has all the lastest will not give you a advantage if you do not have the basics down first. Of all of the motor sports out there trials is one of the few left that you can not win a championship based on equipment and money spent. Time on the bike trumps all...Bob

Hair 09-28-2009 03:40 PM

You are missing the point. I want to get started again by ride some sections with my bike. It's all setup for me. My guess that there isn't a trials bike in NM that is setup for me.

NMTrailboss 09-28-2009 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hair
Any chance the NMTA would ever consider adding a non-trials bike class. Something for us dirt riders to use as an introduction to trails riding and to start seeing the benefits of skills building? I think that if I could build my confidence some I might consider buying a trails bike again.

Hair, I doubt we'll see any non-trials bike classes in NMTA in the near future as most places we permit to compete do not allow non-trials bikes or bikes with full knobbies to ride in event areas. That being said, I've got a spare Montesa 315 if you ever want to come out to San Ysidro Trials Area with us to practice or just play around and hopefully learn something new.

brewtus 09-29-2009 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NMTrailboss
That being said, I've got a spare Montesa 315 if you ever want to come out to San Ysidro Trials Area with us to practice or just play around and hopefully learn something new.

A generous offer Hair, you should take him up on it.

Be very cautious, however.

This is EXACTLY how NMTB got me into trials four years ago, by inviting me out to San Ysidro to ride his spare bike and learn some new dirt riding skills. I now own 3 trials bikes, my XR600R gets ridden maybe 5 times a year, my ATK hasn't even been started in over a year, and my XL is for sale. It really is addicting!

All that being said, by all means come on out!! :evil

Hair 09-29-2009 04:55 PM

That is a great offer. But I don't normally do that sort of thing.
I owned a 04 gasser for a while. I liked that bike a lot. But it got me into a lot of trouble. Maybe I need to man up and get another one.

brewtus 09-30-2009 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hair
I owned a 04 gasser for a while. I liked that bike a lot. :dunno

Maybe I need to man up and get another one.

So it begins....:wink:

Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:52 AM.