ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airheads (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   US R100GS and Euro ignition switch? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592074)

mgman269 06-21-2010 07:43 AM

US R100GS and Euro ignition switch?

Last year I purchased a euro-spec ignition switch so I could run just the pilot light in the daytime if I wanted, or at least turn off the headlight at my command as opposed to having it "on" all of the time. But when I went to install it, I could not make sense of the wiring, which way to plug in, etc. I tried a couple of combinations, but nothing seemed to work when I operated the switch. Anyone here put one of these switches in a US spec bike? How did you plug the wiring in?

Anybody? Anybody? Beuhler? Any suggestions and I am all ears! :ear

SOLO LOBO 06-21-2010 07:55 AM

When I had a GS, I bought one, unplugged the US version and plugged the Euro right in...

Rob Farmer 06-21-2010 09:31 AM

What year is your gs?

88-90 the colours are

red = 30
green = 15
grey =58
White/yellow =56

exactly the same as the us switch. As solo says there shouldn't be any other differences.

1990 on the lights are switched on using the right hand switchgear - the ignition switches are identical.

mgman269 06-21-2010 09:33 AM

1988`

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Farmer
What year is your gs?

It is a 1988 Blue & White. Thanks.

Rob Farmer 06-21-2010 09:58 AM

The wirings identical to the US switch so it should be plug and play

mgman269 06-21-2010 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Farmer
What year is your gs?

88-90 the colours are

red = 30
green = 15
grey =58
White/yellow =56

exactly the same as the us switch. As solo says there shouldn't be any other differences.

1990 on the lights are switched on using the right hand switchgear - the ignition switches are identical.

Right, that is why I purchased the ignition switch as opposed to the right hand switchgear. Hopefully one night this week I can pull the headlight shell apart (to install my new headlight) and can review why I was confused and report back here.

Thanks! :clap

SOLO LOBO 06-21-2010 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgman269
Right, that is why I purchased the ignition switch as opposed to the right hand switchgear. Hopefully one night this week I can pull the headlight shell apart (to install my new headlight) and can review why I was confused and report back here.

Thanks! :clap

Ahhh... I purchased the headlight swich, and not the Euro ignition. For the GS's I thought the switch gear was the standard for Europe, where the G/S's has a different ignition switch?

Beemerguru 06-21-2010 11:17 AM

You've got 5 positions on the European ignition switch and it's a real PITA to switch postions while in motion. Much easier to just get the European handle bar switch.

Europeans allow for side lights for parking, no front lights but fog lights, etc. Droive me nuts whenever I drive a car over there. And the Euro ignition switch does the same thing for the bike...way overkill for the States.

Actually on yours, keep the same US ignition switch and swap the green and gray wires..does the same thing.

AntonLargiader 06-21-2010 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beemerguru
Much easier to just get the European handle bar switch.

Does that work? My understanding is that it will plug into the GS harness but won't actually do anything because the GS is wired to perform these functions from the key.

mgman269 06-21-2010 11:56 AM

5 positions?

Quote:

You've got 5 positions on the European ignition switch and it's a real PITA to switch postions while in motion. Much easier to just get the European handle bar switch.

Europeans allow for side lights for parking, no front lights but fog lights, etc. Droive me nuts whenever I drive a car over there. And the Euro ignition switch does the same thing for the bike...way overkill for the States.

Actually on yours, keep the same US ignition switch and swap the green and gray wires..does the same thing.

Can you tell me what the 5 positions are on the Euro switch? They aren't marked and I was unable to get a Euro bezel with the printed marks.

SOLO LOBO 06-21-2010 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgman269
Can you tell me what the 5 positions are on the Euro switch? They aren't marked and I was unable to get a Euro bezel with the printed marks.

If it is the case as Anton says above, and the Euro switch does not work on R100GS's, let me know if you want to sell it as it is correct for the R80G/S's for certain.

Thanks!

SL

Rob Farmer 06-21-2010 01:11 PM

The 5 positions are:-

1- Off
2 - Parking Lights
3 - Ignition On
4 - Ignition + Side lights
5 - Ignition + Side lights + Main Lights

The Euro early 88-90 Paralever (with the Mono style headlight Pod) has the same switch gear as the US bike but has the 5 position switch.

The later Paralever 91 onwards (with the roo bar) has the same ignition switch as the US bike but has the light off/Side/Main switch on the right hand switch gear on the Euro bikes.

Beemerguru 06-21-2010 01:13 PM

Anton's right on the Euro handle bar switch. They work on later GSs and K bikes only. I confused early and later model G/Ss..when BMW opted for the K bike switch gear for the GS in '91?, then the handle bar swap will work.

I have the Euro ignition switch on the G/S in NC..will be there over the 4th and will post what happens in each position. Thought it would be cool to have it..not true as experience happened.

Just switch the 2 wires

AntonLargiader 06-21-2010 01:18 PM

Quote:

...I confused early and later model G/Ss..

Errr, G/Ses with GSes. :)

So is it safe to say:

G/S - uses the euro switch on the handlebar
GS 88-90 - uses 5-position key or swap gray and green wires
GS 91-on - K-style euro switch on handlebar

EDIT: no, this is wrong

??

Rob Farmer 06-21-2010 01:57 PM

The Euro g/s uses uses the same 5 position switch as the 88-90 GS but there are wiring differences that are shown in the later Haynes manual.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:51 AM.