ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Battle scooters (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Piaggio Sportcity 250 or Kymco People s250 (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=600081)

rjreynolds 07-14-2010 07:08 PM

Piaggio Sportcity 250 or Kymco People s250
 
correction: meant to say Aprilia Sportcity 250 or Kymco People s250

I will be buying a 250cc scooter soon, and would like to know what you guys think.

The two scooters that caught my eye are listed above. They are in the same price range. Which do you guys/gals recommend, as far as long term reliability and performance?

Dabears 07-14-2010 08:27 PM

Can't give you honest opinion, but both seem to get good reviews here and elsewhere. Question for you though- I've been doing a bit of research on these myself, and wonder why you haven't included the Piaggio BV 250 Touring in your narrowed down group? I read the following and it was pretty compelling:

http://danilogurovich.wordpress.com/...bv250-touring/

ronnath 07-15-2010 06:55 AM

i had an SC 250 for a couple of years and wrote a piece for epinions.com.

i just reposted it in this thread:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256873

rjreynolds 07-15-2010 09:44 AM

I read 3-part interview myself, and found it compelling. However, I prefer Sportcity over Bv for styling and 15 inch wheels. Sportcity appears to be hybrid bike for touring and city traffic.

My real question is. How well do these bikes hold up over the long run? Bv, Sportcity, People s250....

rj

ronnath 07-15-2010 09:52 AM

from the link i posted above on my experience with the SC250.:

Quote:

the balance of the first year went well and the second year just as well. the bike was rock solid all the time. no squeaks, rattles, or parts falling off. The bike never gave me a problem.

So, why did i trade it off? simeple really, i wanted more cc's and the majesty provided them.
to which i will add: during the two years i got a consistent 65/70 mpg.

kleblanc 07-15-2010 01:01 PM

Blurr 220
 
You might want to check out this 220 Blur, I rode one the other day and it is a sweet ride , brakes and chasis are real good , motor not bad either, you need to test ride one,

http://www.genuinescooters.com/scooters/blur/blur.html

ronnath 07-15-2010 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjreynolds
Sportcity appears to be hybrid bike for touring and city traffic.

rj

no question about the city riding. mine was fine. two solid years of running errands and general fun riding. many, many 10, 15, and 20 mile jaunts. even tho an SC isn't that heavy (~325 lbs) i found the ride pretty comfortable. nice springs and big wheels combined to make a comfortable ride.

about the touring: the longest straight shot i ever did on it was about 75 miles and a few 50 round trips. my old ass was a bit sore, but that was me, not the bike. the bike wasn't even breathing hard.

techguy 07-15-2010 03:17 PM

I have a P250. It is just about the same bike with 90%+ of the mechanicals being the same as the P250S. It has the 16 inch wheels and does great in suburban traffic situations.

As for durability, I have over 33,000 KM on the bike and the only issue I have had, other than wear items (brakes, CVT belt...) is the muffler. It failed during an 800 mile ride I made earlier this year. Kymco's are known for being durable machines. You can see my picutres from my touring rides over the years. The Ride to RoM was an 800 mile 3-day weekend ride.

I know many of Piaggio's larger wheeled scoots had a fuel pump issue related to the ethanol in our fuel and were subject to stalling and other problems. I don't know if it was only the China manufactured bike or it was both the Italy and China made Piaggio brands. The SportCity 250 is a mainland China made bike with Piaggio engineers at the manufacturing facility.

I considered the SC when I was buying in 2008 but I love my Kymco. I don't regret buying it. I bought mine used and am the third owner.

rjreynolds 07-15-2010 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnath
i had an SC 250 for a couple of years and wrote a piece for epinions.com

I read your article. It's more useful to read an article from someone about a product they have owned for years rather than 3 days. Not to take anything away from the guy who wrote the 3 day jaunt article.

On another topic, You say you own a Majesty? How has it been so far? Any major issues?

thanks,

rj

ronnath 07-16-2010 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjreynolds

On another topic, You say you own a Majesty? How has it been so far? Any major issues?

thanks,

rj

i got it a year ago this month. it's on 07 model and had 625 miles on it. the dealer where i got it is multi-line and yamaha is one of them. i wanted to get a new one, but there wasn't one in any dealer's inventory within a hundred miles or so, so i went with the low-mileage used one. the dealer actually had two of them, but the other one was a year newer but had a lot more miles on it.

rode it into the late fall (just a week or so later, we had our first blizzard) and then stored it until this past march.)

now, about the bike.

it's big, heavy (nearly 500 pounds wet), and comfortable on the road. in fact it's very comfortable on my around town riding.

storage is very good with a lot of room under the seat and two gloveboxes up front.

it's in the faster team yamaha blue color :evil

starts instantly and runs just fine - no flat spots thru the range.

majestys are known for having a fairly high tip-in point and this one is no different. mine hits nearly 4500 rpm before engaging. if you're at an uphill stop sign or light, it's into the 5000s before moving off. other maj owners report the high 3's and low 4's on theirs. i honestly think i may have fried the drive belt a bit on a stupid (read: my fault) steep uphill manuver when i first got it. i've found that once well warmed up, the tip-in point is lower on the tach.

it's a thumper, of course, so there is some vibration at lower speeds. north of 40 or so, it disappears. other owners report the same thing.

the heavy weight and bigger motor don't help much when it comes to gas mileage. about 50. i once got nearly 60 but there were a lot of highway miles on that tank of gas. by comparison, my sportcity, and the reflex before that, were consistently in the mid 60s. both of those were 250s.

the tank on the maj holds something over 3 gallons so i can be running all over town for a week for about 7 bucks.

many majesty owners report swapping out the windshield for the bigger givi claiming the stock shield allows too much wind to hit them in the face. they must be wearing three quarter or half helmets because with my FF that has never been a problem. i've found the stock shield to be just fine.


all that said, you asked how it has been so far and whether there were any major issues.

i'm a little over 2k now and it's been fine. no major issues at all. in fact, other than the lower gas mileage than i was used to, there haven't even been any minor issues.

wait, here's one: i have a bum left ankle and the sidestand is tucked in pretty close to the plastics, so i have to get off the bike to put it down. but that issue is uniquely mine, YMMV.

rjreynolds 07-16-2010 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnath
i got it a year ago this month. it's on 07 model and had 625 miles on it. the dealer where i got it is multi-line and yamaha is one of them. i wanted to get a new one, but there wasn't one in any dealer's inventory within a hundred miles or so, so i went with the low-mileage used one. the dealer actually had two of them, but the other one was a year newer but had a lot more miles on it.

rode it into the late fall (just a week or so later, we had our first blizzard) and then stored it until this past march.)

now, about the bike.

it's big, heavy (nearly 500 pounds wet), and comfortable on the road. in fact it's very comfortable on my around town riding.

storage is very good with a lot of room under the seat and two gloveboxes up front.

it's in the faster team yamaha blue color :evil

starts instantly and runs just fine - no flat spots thru the range.

majestys are known for having a fairly high tip-in point and this one is no different. mine hits nearly 4500 rpm before engaging. if you're at an uphill stop sign or light, it's into the 5000s before moving off. other maj owners report the high 3's and low 4's on theirs. i honestly think i may have fried the drive belt a bit on a stupid (read: my fault) steep uphill manuver when i first got it. i've found that once well warmed up, the tip-in point is lower on the tach.

it's a thumper, of course, so there is some vibration at lower speeds. north of 40 or so, it disappears. other owners report the same thing.

the heavy weight and bigger motor don't help much when it comes to gas mileage. about 50. i once got nearly 60 but there were a lot of highway miles on that tank of gas. by comparison, my sportcity, and the reflex before that, were consistently in the mid 60s. both of those were 250s.

the tank on the maj holds something over 3 gallons so i can be running all over town for a week for about 7 bucks.

many majesty owners report swapping out the windshield for the bigger givi claiming the stock shield allows too much wind to hit them in the face. they must be wearing three quarter or half helmets because with my FF that has never been a problem. i've found the stock shield to be just fine.


all that said, you asked how it has been so far and whether there were any major issues.

i'm a little over 2k now and it's been fine. no major issues at all. in fact, other than the lower gas mileage than i was used to, there haven't even been any minor issues.

wait, here's one: i have a bum left ankle and the sidestand is tucked in pretty close to the plastics, so i have to get off the bike to put it down. but that issue is uniquely mine, YMMV.




Thanks for the input. I think I am going to add the Majesty to my list of bikes to consider.

I Heard that for 2011, Yamaha may redesign the Majesty? Do you know this to be true? I actually haven't heard that anywhere, other than in another forum post...


rj

rjreynolds 07-16-2010 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kleblanc
You might want to check out this 220 Blur, I rode one the other day and it is a sweet ride , brakes and chasis are real good , motor not bad either, you need to test ride one,

http://www.genuinescooters.com/scooters/blur/blur.html

A buddy and I will be heading to test drive one this weekend!

ronnath 07-17-2010 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjreynolds

I Heard that for 2011, Yamaha may redesign the Majesty? Do you know this to be true? I actually haven't heard that anywhere, other than in another forum post...


rj

nope, i haven't heard a thing. change comes slowly to the maj. biggest difference from 08 and beyond was removing the seperate butt pad that was on them thru 07. oh, colors of course, they change those each year.

brockster 07-17-2010 02:57 PM

You might want to check out the Kymco Downtown 300 - when they come to America this Fall. The wife and I rode two-up on a demo ride at Mid-Ohio Vintage days last weekend and it was very stable and had enough pep for two-up.

rjreynolds 07-19-2010 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brockster
You might want to check out the Kymco Downtown 300 - when they come to America this Fall. The wife and I rode two-up on a demo ride at Mid-Ohio Vintage days last weekend and it was very stable and had enough pep for two-up.

I look forward to it, considering I am still saving...


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014