ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Nascar fans, help me understand... (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=606216)

MeterPig 08-02-2010 05:09 PM

Nascar fans, help me understand...

Why?

I have watched, and watched and watched. What is it that gets you so excited about cars going in an oval? Not only that....the cars are restricted down....so they only go so fast...

I seriously need to know.

UncleDirt 08-02-2010 05:26 PM

Ahh, it should be no mystery to those who love bikes. Powerful bikes. Loud bikes. It's just on 4 wheels.

Have you driven one? Stood next to a 600+ horsepower car when it's revved? I understand NASCAR (and rooting for your favorite) better than I do the 1/4 mile draggers.

You-tube some Martinsville races to ease into it. The short track races are slower, but more exciting to watch the driver skill in avoiding crashes and each other. Short track is where it all started.

I still like the 200mph Talledaga track.
You home tonight?

Cumminsman76 08-02-2010 05:51 PM

You like it or you don't. I don't like F1. Although I don't watch NASCAR as much since the points change.

summerinmaine 08-02-2010 05:55 PM

I heard NASCAR described in another thread as "about as interesting as watching a bag of Skittles being dumped into a flushing toilet." :lol3

As a fan of SCORE racing, and a proud member of the ADV/Desert Assassins Pit Bitch crew, I've always maintained that NASCRAP would be a lot better if theY suddenly released a herd of cows onto the track, or dumped an old refrigerator on the track behind a blind corner.

Oh wait, there are no blind corners. Never mind!

KLboxeR 08-02-2010 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeterPig
Why?

You're categorizing Nascar as a legitimate motor sport. Think of it as a staged carnival act like WWE wrestling and it'll all start to make sense.

Tweaker 08-02-2010 06:39 PM

I rarely watch NASCR on TV but I do enjoy the hell out of going to the local NASCAR sponsored dirt track on Friday nights and watch them go around in circles. Better racing than dirt track motorcycles. Even the stock fwd 4 bangers can get a good race going. In fact, I hope to race myself next year.

seriousracer 08-02-2010 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UncleDirt
Ahh, it should be no mystery to those who love bikes. Powerful bikes. Loud bikes. It's just on 4 wheels.

Have you driven one? Stood next to a 600+ horsepower car when it's revved? I understand NASCAR (and rooting for your favorite) better than I do the 1/4 mile draggers.

You-tube some Martinsville races to ease into it. The short track races are slower, but more exciting to watch the driver skill in avoiding crashes and each other. Short track is where it all started.

I still like the 200mph Talledaga track.
You home tonight?

yaH and unless the dumb things are on a road course they suck to watch ..
and i still ran a 240z around the long track at watkins glen in almost the same time as they did the short track. ... we won't talk about how badly that z beat the NASBORE times.
been saying this for 20 years take a bag of MM's start your toilet and drop them in you get the same effect.

DirtyOldMan 08-02-2010 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seriousracer
been saying this for 20 years take a bag of MM's start your toilet and drop them in you get the same effect.

So, in Australia and other south of the equator locales, are these races run with only right turns?

Kamala 08-02-2010 08:41 PM

What ever happened to "To Each his Own". Some people like Bird Watching others like to hunt. Some actually like to watch Soccer! :eek1

SgtMike 08-02-2010 08:57 PM

It is a sport, a team sport.

I won't ever get the ignorant skittles/m@m thing, that just sounds stupid.
Engineering, mechanical ingenuity, strength, speed, endurance, strategy, skill, bravery.... Now add marketing, promotion, logistics, facilities, personnel, licensing, research and development.... It takes millions of dollars to run even the smallest teams, that's why you see them everywhere. Try riding around the world and still pay your mortgage.

Teams are given rules to race under, though some bend those. The formula for a Cup car is what they race, not a stock car anymore. F1 cars used to be cigars with wheels, they evolved, so did these cars.

The track might be 1.5 miles long, but the course is 500 miles long... Get it?

If you really are interested, it is an intense sport to experience. If it's not your brand o whiskey, that's o.k.

I know what response this will get, from the skittles crowd, so I'll leave it here. Get a garage pass somehow, get in where everything happens, then make your own mind up.

Mercury264 08-02-2010 09:41 PM

Stick on lights. All you need to know about NASCRAP :freaky

Benesesso 08-03-2010 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UncleDirt

600+ HP kinda pales to insignificance compared to a funny car or top fueler.

pilot 08-03-2010 05:58 AM

Clearly a troll. Have at it in JM.

ReactorTrip 08-03-2010 06:14 AM

Some people like baseball and golf. Not everything makes sense.

I mean come on baseball is just two dudes throwing a ball back and forth mostly and golf is just some dude smacking a ball in a hole. Just imagine how much you can simplify them with a candy analogy.

bigsnowdog 08-03-2010 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SgtMike
I won't ever get the ignorant skittles/m@m thing, that just sounds stupid.
Engineering, mechanical ingenuity, strength, speed, endurance, strategy, skill, bravery.... Now add marketing, promotion, logistics, facilities, personnel, licensing, research and development.... It takes millions of dollars to run even the smallest teams, that's why you see them everywhere. Try riding around the world and still pay your mortgage.

Teams are given rules to race under, though some bend those. The formula for a Cup car is what they race, not a stock car anymore. F1 cars used to be cigars with wheels, they evolved, so did these cars.

The track might be 1.5 miles long, but the course is 500 miles long... Get it?

If you really are interested, it is an intense sport to experience. If it's not your brand o whiskey, that's o.k.

I know what response this will get, from the skittles crowd, so I'll leave it here. Get a garage pass somehow, get in where everything happens, then make your own mind up.

Please explain garage pass.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:31 PM.