ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Battle scooters (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Aprilia Scarabeo 500 IE-Likes/dislikes/problems (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609908)

White Tenere 08-13-2010 08:52 AM

Aprilia Scarabeo 500 IE-Likes/dislikes/problems

For the last year or so I've been bike less for the first time in 36 years, I cant take it any longer. I would love to get a new 1200GSA but its just not gonna happen anytime soon$$$$$

So I got an email this morning from a old riding buddy who has a 2007 Scarabeo 500 IE with less then 1500 miles has been kept in a garage under a cover since he bought it new, waxed once a month all service done at the dealer, battery tender, looks showroom new, has the Aprilia top case and both the Aprilia summer and winter windscreens.

I'm at the tail end of dealing with a 3 year on again off again battle with cancer (all is looking good now) and as much as I want to get back on two wheels I don't want to get a 500cc scooter that is gonna be a disappointment just cause it was a cheap price.
I've had almost every type of motorcycle under the sun and have been riding for 36 years, had a couple of small cc scoots over the years but never a Maxi scoot.

Not knowing anything about these I'd like to hear from some owners about there experience with this scoot.. Im 5' 11" a soild 200lbs, would this thing get me around without struggling?
I cant ride just yet but he is gonna let me take it for a weekend test ride at the end of this month..

Thanks..

Pics
http://www.smugmug.com/photos/968381636_jWFRz-M.jpg

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/968381675_Q3xoB-M.jpg

Ragnar_Mike 08-13-2010 11:05 AM

I can't give you ride impressions, but I just got a smaller engine Beo, so I've been reading up on them. 500cc is going to be more than plenty to get you around. It should be more than enough for highway speeds and getting you off the line at lights. Hell, it would be enough for somebody with 100 pounds on you.

One of the things I love about my Scarabeo so far is the ride position. I learned on a Buddy and have sat on about a dozen different models trying to find something that fits. I'm 6 foot with size 12 shoes so the fact that the floorboard doesn't crowd me is great. Aprilia is known for having nice handling scoots with good brakes.

I don't know how it will compare to riding a motorcycle, all my experience is with scoots, but 500cc, fuel injected, disc front and back, with only 1400 miles and a topcase and windscreen that's been routinely serviced? Sounds like a steal to me.

I posted some pics of my 09 Beo 200 in the scooter pic thread if you want some closer pictures. The chassis looks a bit different, but the stylings seem to be very similar, so I think they could help.

fried okra 08-13-2010 12:18 PM

I've got a Beo 500ie I bought new, love it. Plenty of power, 0-60 in maybe 6 seconds or a little over and top speed of around 100 mph, cruises effortlessly on the highways. It gets around 60 mpg or a tad over. I am about 5'11", 190#.

I've got a Kawasaki W650 and Harley Sportster that are fun to ride when the mood strikes but the Beo 500ie is preferable for longer rides, more comfortable and relaxing too.

The only real issue with the Beo 500ie's was the fuel line inside the tank was not clamped when built and did not do well with US ethanol fuels. This was handled by a recall but many owners, including myself, fixed it independently. No biggie.

A good info forum on these bikes is:
http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/f...splay.php?f=23

and also there is a Yahoo "ScarabeoRiders" group too.

Now, if you could give me an approximate windscreen height dimension above the headlamp for the windscreen on the scoot as pictured I would appreciate it as I have thought about buying one of those screens :)

fried okra

tastroman 08-13-2010 01:33 PM

No info to offer, just wanted to say I think it is one of the nicest looking scooters made. Good luck.

MillCreek 08-13-2010 03:17 PM

I have the predecessor Scarabeo 500GT. I have had it up to 94 MPH as a test, and it will cruise all day at 80 MPH without breaking a sweat. I routinely get 60-65 MPG and get about 250 miles on a tank. They are great cruising machines. I really enjoy mine.

MODNROD 08-14-2010 01:54 AM

Don't think that coz it's a scoot it will be slow, heavy steering and boring, just the opposite.
A mate has a Scarabeo 500, and when I lived near him I still had my S4R 996 Ducati Monster. At the drags my Monster used to do mid-10's, with a 60ft time of 1.7's, but on the street you don't get the chance to get your weight just right for a proper launch.
He used to line up next to me and take great delight in twisting and leaving me for dead off the lights, it took me little wheelies and into 2nd gear before I could catch his tail-lights dammit, every time! :rofl Just to rub it in, through the twisties he would sit fair up my bum, I couldn't shake him, very demoralising! :lol2
Nothing worse when your riding down the highway in 45degC heat, hanging out for the next roadhouse 50km away so you can get ink, than looking over at your mate on his bloody touring scooter doing 135kph right next to you, casually riding one-handed while sipping his drink that lives in the cup holder the bastard's put on his inner fairing......:kboom

soboy 08-14-2010 02:39 AM

I took one for a long test ride. It is quick, especially for a scooter. I did an impromptu drag race with a guy driving a V-8 F150 and smoked him off the line twice. He and I were both surprised. It corners and brakes well for a scooter and was very comfortable in both its ergos and its ride. A very nice maxi-scooter. Not a motorcycle and doesn't feel like a motorcycle. But I could definitely live with one. Nice looking, too.

redhandmoto 08-14-2010 02:54 AM

There is a brand new 500 on a showroom floor less than a mile from where I sit now, and I have been very, very tempted. It has the styling heritage of the classic European scooter which I prefer over the sounding-whale aerodynamics of the Asian megas, is a smooth, powerful, and very well-made machine that shouts quality, and I love it.

One thing, and one thing only keeps me from buying it: the questionable commitment of Italian industry to provide reliable and consistent support for the North American market.

Even in the glory days of 2007-08, the company under whose rubric most Italian machines are made and distributed demonstrated and demonstrated very well how unimportant North America is to it. We are a very small part of its business, and its dealers themselves bitch and bitch endlessly about how the company and its marques are just not supported according to the expectations of the US business and industrial model.

When your dealer himeself has serious problems getting his brand's N American offices to answer the phone, return calls, resolve warranty issues, and just get parts through to his service department, you do well to think long and hard about where to spend your money.

Those are just my thoughts and motivators, and only mine. I really, really would like to give them my dough, but I am just as motivated toward stability of infrastructure. No matter how much I may love it, I won't buy it if I think my dealer may have problems simply getting parts when I need them.

MODNROD 08-14-2010 05:42 AM

That's a bloody shame when that happens, especially when there's a really nice ride at stake.

We have similar issues here in Oz with some brands too, needless to say we aren't the most important market for ANYBODY (although Ducati DO seem to like Aussies a fair bit, just ask Troy, Troy, Casey, etc :rofl ).

Maybe there is a dealer somewhere who understands the issues and is willing to help with parts via mail-order? Doesn't help warranty work however.

White Tenere 08-14-2010 07:09 AM

Thanks for all the responses, I have a much more open mind about the scooter now.. I will post back after I ride it later this month.

wanna bECO 08-14-2010 07:49 AM

:lurk

emmettken 08-14-2010 08:49 AM

Nice scooter! I was looking at the 250 Beo before I bought a 400 Burgman.

fried okra 08-14-2010 05:10 PM

Yeah, I guess parts aren't as readily available as for a Chevy Cobalt or a Ford Taurus and I haven't needed any parts in 3 years for my Beo 500ie..........but these guys always seem to get parts readily from what I've heard.

http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/default.asp

fried okra

MillCreek 08-15-2010 08:28 AM

I have owned my Beo for three years now, and in that time, I have needed only one part: the voltage regulator, and I bought it online from AF1 racing. I buy the oil filters at my local NAPA store.

Now that Piaggio also owns Vespa and Aprilia, the availability of parts for all three brands in the USA has increased. Piaggio, Vespa and Aprilia now share a lot of parts, especially engine and electrical. So if you don't have a local Aprilia dealer, you can often find these parts at the local Vespa or Piaggio dealer or have them order them for you. Bodywork parts for all brands can still be a problem and sometimes take the slow boat from Italy or Europe.

White Tenere 08-16-2010 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redhandmoto
There is a brand new 500 on a showroom floor less than a mile from where I sit now, and I have been very, very tempted. It has the styling heritage of the classic European scooter which I prefer over the sounding-whale aerodynamics of the Asian megas, is a smooth, powerful, and very well-made machine that shouts quality, and I love it.

One thing, and one thing only keeps me from buying it: the questionable commitment of Italian industry to provide reliable and consistent support for the North American market.

Even in the glory days of 2007-08, the company under whose rubric most Italian machines are made and distributed demonstrated and demonstrated very well how unimportant North America is to it. We are a very small part of its business, and its dealers themselves bitch and bitch endlessly about how the company and its marques are just not supported according to the expectations of the US business and industrial model.

When your dealer himeself has serious problems getting his brand's N American offices to answer the phone, return calls, resolve warranty issues, and just get parts through to his service department, you do well to think long and hard about where to spend your money.

Those are just my thoughts and motivators, and only mine. I really, really would like to give them my dough, but I am just as motivated toward stability of infrastructure. No matter how much I may love it, I won't buy it if I think my dealer may have problems simply getting parts when I need them.

I've owned Aprilia's and Ducatis on and off since 1999 so I'm aware of the Italian lack of urgency when getting parts. I have three Aprilia dealers and two Vespa dealers within 40 miles of me, I've NEVER been without parts for more then two/three weeks max in the past.
I love Italian bikes and waiting a few extra weeks for a a part isn't the end of the world or a deal breaker for me..

Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:11 PM.