ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Orange Crush (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Aftermarket water hoses (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612544)

Waterbaby 08-21-2010 09:15 AM

Aftermarket water hoses

I have had a second water hose go on my 03 950 so I have decided to replace
All the hoses with Samco ones, they are on back order for 3 weeks, one more to go, I was just wondering if anybody else has/is using them and what you think of them ,good/bad.

silverdog 08-21-2010 09:44 AM

how come not using oem ktm??

weed099 08-21-2010 10:11 AM

I am interested in if the Samcos are worth the money. I have not had any problems with my factory hoses, but it is time to replace the waterpump for the second time. Living in Georgia its been around 100 degrees this summer and I was more looking for anything to aid in keeping the temp lower.

Waterbaby 08-21-2010 11:41 AM

About 3 months ago I had one of the small hoses go under the carbs I replaced
That with a KTM hose. My second hose went when I was in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">Spain</st1:country-region></st1:place> 2 weeks ago
So I want to replace all of them as Iím going back to <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Morocco</st1:place></st1:country-region> in March 2011
I normally use OE but I wanted to fit and forget as some of the hoses are a right pain to get to and Samco hoses are meant to be better then standard for flow and stronger

Central Cali Rider 08-21-2010 02:07 PM

If you search Samco , you will find some info. I know I read once where the bends were not quite right. I was thinking of also "upgrading" as a hose can ruin a trip...

thugdog 08-21-2010 03:55 PM

My two centavos: Avoid Samco's KTM-12 kit, because it won't fit an "off-the-shelf" LC8 bike. Go with their KTM-13 kit regardless of model or year 950/990.

Their kit for the 950 was dimenshioned for someone with a handmade radiator, and will prove impossible to fit typical 950 bikes. I learned this after well over a year going back-n-forth with Samco supplier, who eventually made good swapping KTM-12 for a KTM-13 kit. I am happy with the effortless fit and function of their KTM-13 kit on my 2004 KTM 950S. Avoid KTM-12 kit! The extra two pieces in its 9-pc are just the overflow tank tubing. The 7-pc KTM-13 is fine. Also you may prefer to source the hose clamps elsewhere, as Samco's were junk. I prefer smooth inside, with rolled-edge, stainless, like those from ABA in Sweden...best worm clamps!

cagiva549 08-21-2010 05:29 PM

KTM factory hoses are EPDM rubber , it will turn soft if exposed to any oils inside or out . I replaced all the small hoses on my 950 with silicone rubber hose , I will never touch them again . The hoses from the motor to the radiator are form fitted so I used stock hoses but they are easy to change so I can live with that . I have the small hoses , factory stock if anybody is interested . I will see what all I have and put a price on them . SEYA

Waterbaby 09-04-2010 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thugdog
My two centavos: Avoid Samco's KTM-12 kit, because it won't fit an "off-the-shelf" LC8 bike. Go with their KTM-13 kit regardless of model or year 950/990.

Their kit for the 950 was dimenshioned for someone with a handmade radiator, and will prove impossible to fit typical 950 bikes. I learned this after well over a year going back-n-forth with Samco supplier, who eventually made good swapping KTM-12 for a KTM-13 kit. I am happy with the effortless fit and function of their KTM-13 kit on my 2004 KTM 950S. Avoid KTM-12 kit! The extra two pieces in its 9-pc are just the overflow tank tubing. The 7-pc KTM-13 is fine. Also you may prefer to source the hose clamps elsewhere, as Samco's were junk. I prefer smooth inside, with rolled-edge, stainless, like those from ABA in Sweden...best worm clamps!

Thanks for all the info I went with the KTM 13 kit and as you said it was a great fit, time will tell if these hoses are better.

Balsta 09-04-2010 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waterbaby
Thanks for all the info I went with the KTM 13 kit and as you said it was a great fit, time will tell if these hoses are better.

Same hoses for SE as for the adv?

DigiMan 09-05-2010 06:49 AM

Samco is Pricey
$138.24 for the hoses KTM-13
$55.66 CK KTM-13 (clips)

Yellow Pig 09-05-2010 07:59 AM

I just put a set of SAMCO hoses on my Husky and can say that they are very high quality multi ply silicone.

Have a look at the cross section of one of the hoses and how many ply layers there are:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...s/P1020688.jpg

cagiva549 09-06-2010 03:46 AM

The above hose is a silicone hose , they last 20 years on heavy trucks and equipment , good stuff . It cost a couple bucks a foot in bulk from a commercial parts house . The oil change chain stores probly dont know what it is . If the engine to radiator hoses are made of the same material they are worth a few bucks because you will never have to deal with them again . The small hoses are standard 5/8 hose so I replaced all mine from bulk at a cost of a couple bucks worth of material . Useing heavy duty clamps that fit the bigger hose cost a couple hours and a bit of cussing but like I said I wont deal with them again . The KTM hose is EPDM rubber which is about the lowest quality hose available short of something from china or india . Extended contact with oil it will turn to jelly . SEYA

Balsta 09-06-2010 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cagiva549
The above hose is a silicone hose , they last 20 years on heavy trucks and equipment , good stuff . It cost a couple bucks a foot in bulk from a commercial parts house . The oil change chain stores probly dont know what it is . If the engine to radiator hoses are made of the same material they are worth a few bucks because you will never have to deal with them again . The small hoses are standard 5/8 hose so I replaced all mine from bulk at a cost of a couple bucks worth of material . Useing heavy duty clamps that fit the bigger hose cost a couple hours and a bit of cussing but like I said I wont deal with them again . The KTM hose is EPDM rubber which is about the lowest quality hose available short of something from china or india . Extended contact with oil it will turn to jelly . SEYA

Are the two hoses for oil between the oilpump and the oiltank included in the "KTM-13" set?

thugdog 09-06-2010 04:05 PM

Nope...coolant loop only...7 pieces...radiator in, radiator out, pump to thermostat, and the four small f-pipe/crossovers: 2 elbows, 2 s-shape.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:24 AM.