ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Layin' down tracks (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Nuvi Threadfeast - If it's Nuvi for Autos - it goes here (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=614360)

SamTheEagle 09-13-2005 01:55 PM

Nuvi Threadfeast - If it's Nuvi for Autos - it goes here

http://www.garmin.com/products/nuvi/

$970

Weeeeeee.

Size of a deck of cards.
Plays mp3s.
Routing.
Turn by Turn voice directions.
Touchscreen.
Jpeg picture viewer.
GTM 10 FM TMC traffic receiver ... "avoid tie ups by pushing a button to calc a new route"
Takes SD expansion cards (looks like NON garmin SD cards are finally going to work?)

Hmmm. Looks pretty cool.
Doesn't give detail on tracklogs and on downloading pre-planned routes to the unit.

Also beware that they sell some stuff separately for this (eg, some "traveler pack" or something similar" ... which will jack up the cost).

mdrsteve 09-13-2005 02:02 PM

Wow! Sounds absolutely perfect...if the touchscreen buttons are big enough to use with gloved hands!!! I can't wait to see one in person!!! (though I guess I have no choice but to wait 'til they come out in November.)

edwyun 09-13-2005 02:47 PM

from the pic, it looks puny!

MTRREF 09-14-2005 04:30 AM

Waterproof?

Interesting, but I don't see anything about being waterproof in the specs. This unit may not meet the minimum standards for skooter compatibility.

Jim

CMWoody 09-14-2005 06:07 AM

Europe only.

Doesn't look waterproof and imo, too small to see on the bike. Hold out for the motorcycle model scheduled to be unvailed in a couple of months. :evil

Mimosa 09-14-2005 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capnclive
The Garmin Site says it is only avialable in Europe. My brain slammed shut at that point...

Typical. Should have kept reading and saw that the nuvi 350 is "for US domestic market only."

-mim

KevinC 09-14-2005 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capnclive
The Garmin Site says it is only avialable in Europe. My brain slammed shut at that point. :snore Will it be available here soon?

You slammed shut too soon :evil

The nüvi 300 is a 'choose your selected bits of euorpe' model but if you carry on a bit further down the page there's the nüvi 350 which has all of europe or north america.

Kevin

SinOfSaul 09-14-2005 07:23 AM

This is aimed at travelers not specifically drivers/riders. I do like the new features that could be integrated into future models.

“Users can browse restaurant menus and reviews in the Garmin Travel Guide for a highly-recommended French bistro, and then use the nüvi’s navigation capabilities to find the restaurant. Once they’re seated, they can even use the Garmin Language Guide to order their meal in the native tongue.”

"To pass the time on those long trips, the nüvi comes equipped with an Audio Book Player, with content provided by Audible.com – featuring more than 70,000 hours of audio programs from more than 200 content partners. The nüvi also features an MP3 player that lets users browse music by artist, album, song, or genre – as well as the ability to build playlists. Loading music onto an SD card is “drag-and-drop” easy – no special software is required. Sample MP3s from AudioLunchBox.com are pre-loaded onto the unit."

http://www.garmin.com/pressroom/mobile/091205.html

David_S 09-14-2005 07:52 AM

THIS looks much better for about the same money you get a bigger screen, water proof and XM with weather capabilities. I'm kicking myself in the ass for my recent 2610 purchase since my Roady just crapped out :cry

NJ_Bob 09-14-2005 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David_S
THIS looks much better for about the same money you get a bigger screen, water proof and XM with weather capabilities. I'm kicking myself in the ass for my recent 2610 purchase since my Roady just crapped out :cry

Stop kicking yourself and take pleasure in being able to use cheap CF cards (2G Kingston @ Fry's for $99) for memory in the 2610. New Roady's are also only $49.

dlearl476 02-06-2006 09:23 PM

Garmin Nuvi

Anyone have any thoughts about the Garmin Nuvi?

I saw it in the inflight mag today and mp3, gps, audiobooks appeal to me for travelling (not 2 wheel) but it's awfully expensive and AFAIK, you can't download maps to it.

kdude 02-07-2006 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlearl476
Anyone have any thoughts about the Garmin Nuvi?

I saw it in the inflight mag today and mp3, gps, audiobooks appeal to me for travelling (not 2 wheel) but it's awfully expensive and AFAIK, you can't download maps to it.

My Garmin distributer buddy gave me a live demo. of this unit. It's way better than anything on the market now. The screen is really big and bright. Mapping is a 10... I wish it was waterproof and I had the gazillion bucks to buy it.

A WINNER !

John E Davies 02-07-2006 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlearl476
AFAIK, you can't download maps to it.

Where did you hear that?

QUOTE:

The nvi 350 also comes with an A/C charger and approximately 700 MBs of internal memory for storage of supplemental maps, MP3s, and audio books (available from Audible.com).

UNQUOTE

That seems pretty clear to me....

John Davies
Spokane WA

boatworker 03-28-2006 05:10 PM

I got one of these for my wife to use in her car. She is a home health nurse and drives to 3 or 4 new locations each day. It is great. Super clear screen, easy to use and lots of extra internal memory and a card slot if you need more.

Don't know if she will ever use the MP3 player or book reader, but I can see them being cool for a business traveler.

She had a C340, but it froze up and I had the extra warrenty from West Marine and they have quit carrying that model. So, they gave me the Novi as a replacement. :clap

John E Davies 03-28-2006 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatworker
I got one of these for my wife to use in her car. She is a home health nurse and drives to 3 or 4 new locations each day. It is great. Super clear screen, easy to use and lots of extra internal memory and a card slot if you need more.

So can you in fact download maps to it using MapSource?

John Davies
Spokane WA

Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:21 AM.