ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Road warriors (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Kawasaki W800 (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=614615)

A Knight Who Says Ni 08-27-2010 12:20 PM

Kawasaki W800

If this was actually imported to the US, Triumph could have some serious competition in the modern classics market. Although I have my doubts given what Honda did with the CB1100.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...-w800-is-real/

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/upload...mages/W800.jpg

gelandestrasse 08-27-2010 12:51 PM

Needs ABS. :deal

Uncle Ernie 08-27-2010 02:38 PM

-and a comfortable seat and dual disks.
I guess the tank is better than the stock W650- but still...

Good start, I guess- but I didn't really see anything wrong with the 650.
I'm tired of bigger is better. (After a certain point, I don't think it is)

A Knight Who Says Ni 08-27-2010 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gelandestrasse
Needs ABS. :deal

well in my opinion all streetbikes should have abs as an option these days but most (at least in the US) do not.

My point is that it seems like an odd thing to nitpick on this particular model

El Guero 08-27-2010 03:07 PM

Cool bike, but it doesn't need ABS or dual disks :lol3 What it needs is a kick-starter, then it'd be a bitchin' adventure bike!

A Knight Who Says Ni 08-27-2010 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Ernie
dual disks.

overkill for a 60bhp 800. Plus they will need to stay within a price point to compete with bonnevilles

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Ernie
I didn't really see anything wrong with the 650.
I'm tired of bigger is better. (After a certain point, I don't think it is)

I don't think kawi thought there was much wrong with it either, but it didn't sell.

gelandestrasse 08-27-2010 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Knight Who Says Ni
well in my opinion all streetbikes should have abs as an option these days but most (at least in the US) do not.

My point is that it seems like an odd thing to nitpick on this particular model

No ABS == no sale.

End of discussion.

professir 08-27-2010 03:41 PM

Hell Yeah!

Warning, tired ol coot rant. ABS????????? Give me a break! Like your going to speed race THAT bike????

I grow tired of the trend to want MORE and more. ABS, duel disks, detachable bags that have homing devices, cup holders, refrigerators, air compressors, AIR BAGS???????????????

When did the simple motor, 2 wheels, a seat and handle bars, oh yeah a gas tank get out of vogue????

I will keep my sporty and love it. :D

Oilhed 08-27-2010 03:49 PM

Is that for real? I'd buy one with metal fenders.

White Tenere 08-27-2010 03:49 PM

I had a Kawasaki W650 it was a fun bike that turned a lot of heads.. I really like the look of the W800:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

soboy 08-27-2010 03:50 PM

The only thing the W800 needs is to be sold in the U.S. I would buy one and I'll bet a whole lot of middle age riders would also. Are you hearing me, Kawasaki?

gelandestrasse 08-27-2010 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by professir
Warning, tired ol coot rant. ABS????????? Give me a break! Like your going to speed race THAT bike????

Because ABS only works on really fast bikes. :twitch

Speedo66 08-27-2010 04:42 PM

Not too crazy about that paint scheme, but I guess that's easy enough to change. And where are the Triumph, I mean Kawasaki, badges?

My W650 has a kick starter, nicer looks IMHO, and a certain relaxed feeling about it.

I bought into the bigger is better thing when I sold my naked SV650 and bought a naked SV1000. I like the power of the 1000, but I loved the handling of the 650, and that got lost in the transition.

Bigger is not always better.

Think I'll keep what I got.

EDIT: OK, I now see that's a British magazine. Kaw sold them there until '06, so they obviously were popular there. I think the chances of getting it here are pretty slim based on it's previous record.

El Guero 08-27-2010 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gelandestrasse
Because ABS only works on really fast bikes. :twitch

I feel on a bike like this that you are unlikely to actually activate the ABS very often. Of course, I am not usually in the ABS category except in the case of very large bikes with powerful brakes or perhaps sport bikes (also with powerful brakes). I suppose folks like you who want the ABS want it for that odd time you need it :scratch :rofl You know what I mean...

GuinnesS 08-27-2010 05:12 PM

Could care less about ABS on this bike. My modest little W650 is such a perfect package as it is. Don't need no dual disks either as you would simply be left wanting more power, and then better shocks, and then even better brakes, and then even more power and then usd forks, and then a SSSA w/ a 6" rear rim, and then....fuck this bike! I want something else, and so on, and so forth :rofl
It is what it is (like so many Harley's) and if you can come to terms with that then it is oh so sweet.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:59 AM.