ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   The Trans Arkansas Trail - The "TART" (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=629219)

TRZ Charlie 10-15-2010 09:08 PM

The Trans Arkansas Trail - The "TART"

The TART is a 524 +/- mile trail of mixed tarmac, gravel roads, forest roads, Weyhauser Forests, State Forest Trails, single track and ATV tracks traversing the center of Arkansas from South to North (or reversed as you see fit). The route is best ridden in at least three or more days. The tracks below denote camping opportunities along the way.

Disclaimer*** Bikes larger than 650cc could have problems on some sections of this route. Sections of the route especially near Lake Winona should be considered only by experienced riders as it is extremely tight, rocky, rutted and steep and this section is best suited to nimble bikes. Be forewarned that there is also significant tarmac in the mid section of this ride due to recent stimulus money spent on paving (most of it delightfully twisty) but the unpaved sections more than make up for it. Sections of TART may be impassable after significant rain events especially near Eldorado. The trail may also be subject to closed gates on Weyhauser Forest properties, State Forests and hunting lease areas. BE PREPARED TO RE-ROUTE ON THE FLY. Oh! I almost forgot. Y'all are big boys n girls, if you fall down and go boom...it's on you, be careful out there!

The TART can be started from either Blue Eye, Missouri on the Arkansas/Missouri border or from Eldorado, Arkansas on the Louisiana/Arkansas border. You can read about the "TART" HERE

Tracks are provided in Garmin .gdb format

Day 1 - Eldorado, Arkansas to DeGray's Lake State Park - Filtered to 700pts HERE.

Day 2 - DeGrays Lake State Park to Choctaw Recreation Area - Filtered to 700pts HERE.

Day 3 - Choctaw Recreation Area to Blue Eye, Missouri - Filtered to 700pts HERE.

Unfiltered/unedited tracks of the ride - HERE.

Ride Elevation and Speed Profile -HERE.

katbeanz 10-18-2010 06:00 PM

Oh Man, this is juicy, can't wait! :thumb

TRZ Charlie 10-18-2010 06:36 PM

My favorite section was near Lake Winona

craftycoder 11-15-2010 07:37 AM

I thought you might like this DRZ Charlie. I uploaded the complete tracks file and processed it using the "Track Wizard" which attempts to identify the trail difficulty. As you can see the tracks have been broken down and color coded. If you create a login on the site, I'll transfer the track over to you so you can clean it up further if you'd like to. You can upload photos and attach them to the map as well. There is a geocoding wizard that makes it easy to pin the photos to the map by using time stamps in the track file and time stamps in the photos.

<IFRAME SRC="http://www.dualsportmaps.com/embedMap.html?id=3C240FA0-1A16-4074-81EA-2EA5D187A4E6" TITLE="TART - Trans Arkansas Trail" width="600" height="850"></IFRAME>

TRZ Charlie 11-15-2010 08:09 AM

Very cool Craftycoder! wow. I will do that.

craftycoder 11-15-2010 08:21 AM

You now own that map. You can get to it by clicking here. Also feel free to copy my embedded map code to your ride report thread. I think people will appreciate seeing it and I may get few more users out of the deal as well. The more people, the better the track database!

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRZ Charlie
Very cool Craftycoder! wow. I will do that.

alma1992 11-22-2010 06:23 AM

Awesome!

Thanks for all the work. I hope to attempt it from north to south in the late spring. :clap

TRZ Charlie 11-22-2010 11:55 AM

Alma,

It's a good ride from that direction. You will experience some nice twisty pavement then onto gravel south of Harrison, AR. After that a good mix. Pay attention to weather conditions because when you near the southern portion a good bit of it when subjected to rain will be a mud pit.

devrodirt 12-30-2010 04:12 PM

DRZ Charlie, you are awesome!!!!
We have just got to get together for a ride some day!

I too am working on a north/south route across Arkansas. When I'm finished we might be able to merge the two and make a round trip!

Thanks for all that "work".

TRZ Charlie 12-30-2010 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devrodirt (Post 14814251)
DRZ Charlie, you are awesome!!!!
We have just got to get together for a ride some day!

I too am working on a north/south route across Arkansas. When I'm finished we might be able to merge the two and make a round trip!

Thanks for all that "work".

Devro, There are a couple of sections that have more pavement than I wanted. As you say we may be able to merge them and make it an awesome ride.

Nitro1970 08-22-2011 09:08 PM

Will Shinko 705's work on a KLR for this trail? I hate to ride from Texas on semi knobbies if the 705's will work. I'm gonna stay out of the technical stuff also

TRZ Charlie 08-23-2011 04:47 AM

There is a lot of Paper Mill Forest on the mid part of the route. I would use knobbies. If it has rained those roads will be tough without them. Your results may vary.

Trailace 09-30-2011 06:22 PM

Two of us will be starting the TART in the morning.

edstoll 10-09-2011 09:00 AM

Just rode the northern two sections. I had a great time. Ride report coming.

TRZ Charlie 10-09-2011 07:03 PM

Glad to hear you enjoyed it ...I'll be waiting on your report.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:30 PM.