ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   New Riding West Virginia Website (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=645585)

pnoman 12-19-2010 03:39 AM

New Riding West Virginia Website

I have started a new website dedicated to those riders wishing to explore West Virginia. I frequently see requests on forums for information about visiting and riding around the state, asking for information about what roads to ride, what places to visit, and (of course) interesting places to get good food. With the help of fellow riders, my goal is to make this a Must-Stop online for those riders. Although I am a musician, not an English or Journalism teacher, I will try to keep the writing standards "above average".

The site will be divided into 3 main sections: Street Ride Reports, Back-Roads Ride Reports, and Food/Destinations/Lodging. The Street section will cover main highways and county roads - basically any 2- or 4-lane paved road with a painted center line. The Back-Roads section will cover the narrow paved back-roads as well as graded, govt-maintained gravel roads such as Dolly Sods and the Laurel Fork area. We will not cover trails (such as Hatfield & McCoy or private-access roads) on this site.

Guest contributors are welcome to submit Ride Reports, Photos, and/or Food/Lodging Reports for consideration. Please keep it clean. I will monitor the site as closely as possible to ensure all content is "G" rated. Your help will be appreciated.

The site is still under construction and has some empty spots and links that I am working on. My goal is to go back through my ride photos from the past few years and write some reports while the snow is flying this winter. And, I'm inviting readers to submit articles so that it is a well-rounded site. By springtime, I'm hoping to have a good selection of reports.

Please stop by and visit:

www.ridingwv.com

Thanks!

Guy Young 12-19-2010 05:10 AM

Very nice Mike. Look forward to visiting it often... and maybe suggesting a ride or three. :lol3

Scotty P 12-19-2010 05:11 AM

:lurk

rctr 12-19-2010 05:15 AM

great job! thanks for sharing.
jimmy

WayneJ 12-19-2010 05:53 AM

Bookmarked! :thumb

Beemer Bob 12-19-2010 06:01 AM

I'm in!

anotherguy 12-19-2010 11:41 AM

Rule no.1!!!!

Jeff B 12-19-2010 01:52 PM

My prediction is the site will become a hub. I'll be checkin in from time to time. Thanks for starting it. There is WV site somewhere that classifies the road surface and it's condition. If you find it make it a link.

travlin 12-19-2010 03:13 PM

Sounds great! I'll be glad to give some input on the southern half of the state. I've been riding those roads for more years than I want to admit!

pnoman 12-19-2010 03:32 PM

Thanks.

Thanks, folks. Glad to see the positive feedback. I really do want it to be a community project so there is a well-rounded group of reviews. Just because I like something doesn't mean everyone else will. (And visa-versa) And I have certainly not traveled as many roads and backroads as many of you.

So, to make a long story short (oops, that ship already sailed :lol3), please dust off those keyboards and try your hand at writing a report this winter. If you never wrote one, start small - maybe a diner review with a few pics. Please PM me or email me at the site if you have any questions about formatting or writing a report.

Thanks again, everyone. I think this will be a good winter project on those days when it's too snowy and icy to ride.

Happy Holidays to all.

ihatefalling 12-20-2010 06:50 AM

Tho thumbs up..... :D

bwalsh 12-20-2010 06:09 PM

Very nice! I just browsed through the site and read your two reports for Spruce knob. :clap

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arnold Schwarzeneggar
I'll be bach!

:lol3

tastroman 12-21-2010 10:24 AM

Thanks for doing the work. I'm doing a WV trip in early May and can use all the resources I can find.

pnoman 12-21-2010 03:14 PM

Just added: Rich Mountain Battlefield and Hart House - Beverly, Randolph County.

http://www.ridingwv.com/FolderDestinationReports/RichMt.htm

I'm not a historian, so please don't expect a definitive writeup. Hope you enjoy it.

More to come as time allows.

I've got the Photos Page ready to post reader photos. Send me your best shot: mike (at) ridingwv (dot) com. Please - JPEGs only, File size 300kb each or less. Thanks!

pnoman 12-23-2010 04:56 PM

More updates

Just added:

Destinations Page - Philippi Covered Bridge

Photos Page - I "primed" the page with some photos to get it started until I receive some photos from readers. (Hint, Hint :D)

Enjoy, and have a safe/happy/Merry Christmas!

www.ridingwv.com

Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:33 PM.