ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Hacks (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Dl650 Hack (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=647042)

brstar 12-26-2010 04:14 AM

Dl650 Hack
 
Lets see if I can get it together.

http://brstar.smugmug.com/Motorcycle...98_3hZHr-M.jpg

Oooo looks like I got a picture up. Now to take on the world!!!
:rofl:rofl:rofl

gordonscott 12-26-2010 05:40 AM

nice outfit
 
Hey you put the sidecar on the wrong side :lol3 http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/5368/cimg5041.jpg

brstar 12-26-2010 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gordonscott (Post 14783502)
Hey you put the sidecar on the wrong side :lol3 http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/5368/cimg5041.jpg

Nice outfitto be. If you look close you can see a stack of pavers holding the chair up on mine. Had 3 days of my Chrissie break so far and hobbling around with a crook back. Soo frustrating. But I see yours has the 19" wheel on the chair to match the front with a disc brake. I managed to get a matching wheel recently.
Yours a 650?
Oh and how do the leading legs work out? I am on a budget at the mo so have to work with what I have till further notice. So fab my own subframe an stuff. I have a fair bit of the gear to do so just need to sort the shed to be able to move. Tha sub frame looks to involve a lot of head scratching. No left side ones for sale here.

Cheers, Bruce

03gixxerpilot 12-26-2010 09:11 PM

going to look nice, keep us uptodate with the progress of the build

brstar 12-26-2010 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03gixxerpilot (Post 14787984)
going to look nice, keep us uptodate with the progress of the build

Progress so far. 3 days with a strained back hobbling around Aarrghh! Oh well it has coensided with 3 40ish deg days so hopefully the weather will cool and the back will cooperate as well. :huh:huh:huh.

pops 12-27-2010 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brstar (Post 14788109)
Progress so far. 3 days with a strained back hobbling around Aarrghh! Oh well it has coensided with 3 40ish deg days so hopefully the weather will cool and the back will cooperate as well. :huh:huh:huh.

I feel you pain Bruce:cry I am 5 weeks on from a strained back .
Still giving me a hard time:puke1

Looking forward to your dl650 build :ear.
I have some links of dl650 hacks . I will pm them to you.

I hope the strained back was not from the ride on the honda sidecar, you did for us ??
Cheers Ian.

brstar 12-27-2010 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pops (Post 14788864)
I feel you pain Bruce:cry I am 5 weeks on from a strained back .
Still giving me a hard time:puke1

Looking forward to your dl650 build :ear.
I have some links of dl650 hacks . I will pm them to you.

I hope the strained back was not from the ride on the honda sidecar, you did for us ??
Cheers Ian.

Nah the back developed issues at the work Chrissie do.
We went indoor Karting and there was a bit of argy bargy :lol3.
You don't let em up the inside and if they try the outside just swing a bit wide and feed em into the fence :wink:.
Of course thats if they don't get past before you notice as some did.
I have to work hard to run with the younguns now.
They were sweating it so it was a challenge for me.:rofl:rofl.
Dam I hurt for days after.
Feels like I may be up for some work on the hack tomorrow, finally. And the sea breeze is back in town so should be cooler now.
I wonder if I can get compo for work related injuries. "Shmerel"???? :rofl:roflOf course it has nothing to do with age at all.

Cheers, Bruce

gordonscott 12-27-2010 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brstar (Post 14787917)
Nice outfitto be. If you look close you can see a stack of pavers holding the chair up on mine. Had 3 days of my Chrissie break so far and hobbling around with a crook back. Soo frustrating. But I see yours has the 19" wheel on the chair to match the front with a disc brake. I managed to get a matching wheel recently.
Yours a 650?
Oh and how do the leading legs work out? I am on a budget at the mo so have to work with what I have till further notice. So fab my own subframe an stuff. I have a fair bit of the gear to do so just need to sort the shed to be able to move. Tha sub frame looks to involve a lot of head scratching. No left side ones for sale here.

Cheers, Bruce

Hi Bruce, Mines the DL1000. The leading legs help out a lot, takes much less effort to turn but still has the slow speed wobbles. Claude on here has posted pictures of his subframe for the vstrom and if you could afford it he would be the man to build it for you! I see you are on a budget so if money does not permit maybe you could look at his and just reverse design it for the other side? Claude if you read this maybe a big market for the lefty's accross the pond since none for sale over there? :wink: The strom has become popular enough to hack to warrant this some thought :deal p.s. speedy recovery with your back my friend.

brstar 12-28-2010 04:54 PM

Dl 650 Hack Progress
 
Had a look yesterday at the bike and chair together to see what could be mounted to which with some chance of success. Some bits look easier than others. Will try and upload this week as I go.

This is Helen making the whole Idea look good. :lol3
http://brstar.smugmug.com/Sidecarmou...82_rAuYp-M.jpg

The SV 650 exhaust collector and Staintune muffler setup seem to stop the centrestand from being refitted. If I want it, I may have to go back to the stock exhaust with ugly cat converter :huh. Note the Ikea spanner as a hanger bracket :lol3.

http://brstar.smugmug.com/Sidecarmou...37_tv5ZE-M.jpg

Got on Ebay a matching :wink: front (19") wheel for the chair. Here are the new bearings to fit the 20mm axle on the chair
Just need a big hammer.
http://brstar.smugmug.com/Sidecarmou...07_8nkb2-M.jpg

johno 12-29-2010 02:43 AM

Dont want to state the obvious, but have you had a look at Touring Daves subframe on his Strom buildup?? I am(hope) sure he wont mind you pinching ideas:D Us Aussies are like that:lol3 (sorry Dave)

brstar 12-29-2010 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johno (Post 14802079)
Dont want to state the obvious, but have you had a look at Touring Daves subframe on his Strom buildup?? I am(hope) sure he wont mind you pinching ideas:D Us Aussies are like that:lol3 (sorry Dave)

Obviously this is the obvious thing to do. Except Davo has closely guarded his secrets. :lol3 Nah not really!

The difference here is mine is a Wee and his is a Vee. Also I am adapting or fitting a Chinese copy of the Russian copy of the German copy to a Japanese motorcycle in Perth and not Mudbourne. :huh:huh:huh
So sidecars are not about copies obviously. :rofl

Cheers.

brstar 01-02-2011 02:37 PM

Progress? A little
 
Some progress made so far, probably more in getting my head around which way to do it than anything.
The back is getting servicable now just in time to go back to work :huh.
Its still hot under the tin roof and the neighbours are way to close to work early or late.
So steady steady.
And I am getting the workshop sorted a little each time I go out there but it would be good to put some doors on it soon.

http://brstar.smugmug.com/Sidecarmou...42_QRDSv-M.jpg

Older bikes often had mounting points for sidecars built in. The ball would have been welded to the lower frame rails front and rear with eyelets for the top links. The clamping pieces here get pulled into the chair frame to tighten. The plan is to drill and tap a thread so as to bolt the balls with high tensile bolts.

http://brstar.smugmug.com/Sidecarmou...89_gNrNU-M.jpg

This is top front mount. Will just weld it to the crash bar mounts I think. It will be plenty strong with a lot of area to weld to. May disconnect the battery to tack it together then remove to fully weld and re powdercoat.

http://brstar.smugmug.com/Sidecarmou...19_ZcJH6-M.jpg

Had an SV collector and a Staintune muffler fitted I bought on eBay but it meant the Centre stand would not fit. So changed back to the stock system :cry.

http://brstar.smugmug.com/Sidecarmou...85_5hiAB-M.jpg

Problem! The steel balls I got were for use in wrought iron work. They must be reject ball bearing material. To hard to mark with a centre punch or drill. :huh Anyone know where I can get some mild steel ones? A dozen would be good. I will take them to work and try heating them in the forge to anneal them. Only need 2 per chair but there are 4 more chairs in my shed to go to good homes :lol3.

Cheers Bruce

brstar 01-02-2011 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gordonscott (Post 14793987)
Hi Bruce, Mines the DL1000. The leading legs help out a lot, takes much less effort to turn but still has the slow speed wobbles. Claude on here has posted pictures of his subframe for the vstrom and if you could afford it he would be the man to build it for you! I see you are on a budget so if money does not permit maybe you could look at his and just reverse design it for the other side? Claude if you read this maybe a big market for the lefty's accross the pond since none for sale over there? :wink: The strom has become popular enough to hack to warrant this some thought :deal p.s. speedy recovery with your back my friend.

Hi and thanks for the back thoughts from you and Ian. Claudes frame would be good I am sure, though the 650 would perhaps be different to the 1000.
And steering mods to when it happens. It will.
I weld and fabricate for a living so could not help myself, (had to do it)
Also I am making it fit the chairs I have so easier to do it here.
(thanks Johno )
Also the left side is also the right side :lol3 so how could I be wrong.

Cheers Bruce

johno 01-25-2011 01:36 AM

Any more on this one Bruce? :wink:

brstar 01-25-2011 05:12 AM

Any more?
 
Just got back from 11 days in Port Hedland working. Oz day tomorrow so will have a look in the arvo. In the morning I have to get rid of trailer number 3 of 4 that will leave me with 2 trailers and quite a bit more driveway. 4 you ask? Not going to answer :lol3 but life is slowly getting into order around here. Should be home for a few weekends now so more pics to come soon hopefully. Haven't heard from Ian in Port Augusta for a bit. Did it arrive ok?

Cheers and thanks for asking.

Oh cut and drilled some steel bar to grind into balls so thats next.


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014