ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Vendors (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Alpinestars for ADV Riders discussion (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=660737)

motostrano 02-16-2011 11:36 AM

Alpinestars for ADV Riders discussion

I've noticed an abscence of Alpinestars talk here in the Vendor area on ADV Rider, so I am going to spark it up a bit with information, reviews, secrets and news and dial it in for ADV riders. Hope we can gain some business from it too. Motostrano offers ADV Riders free shipping, easy returns, price matching, deals where we can offer them, fast shipping on gear and accesss to new stuff, close-out promos and price reductions. If you find a better deal online, let us know. We ship out of California.

In terms of specific ADV stuff, With astars we have Boots, Gloves, Pants, Jackets and a textile suit to select from, not to mention a wide catalog of body armor and undergarments.

I've been selling Alpinestars motorcycle apparel for eight years now. At one time, we almost exclusively focused on Alpinestars, developing an "Alpinestars Store" here in Redwood City as a destination spot where you could find the entire catalog, in our shop, ready to buy. In 2007 I visited the Alpinestars headquarters in Italy for a behind the scenes look at the future of the company and the R&D facility. Impressive. I'll be going back again soon. (some photos from that trip )

I've also spent a lot of time at the Alpinestars US headquarters in Torrence. I've got some photos around of that too that I'll try to find. When you buy Alpinestars, one of the most important selling points, I feel, is that even though their products are distributed through Parts Unlimited, the largest aftermarket parts distributor in the world, you can still get one-on-one aftersale service by talking to Alpinestars direclty. Before Alpinetars distributorship was taken over by Parts Unlimited, all Alpinestars in the US came out of Los Angeles with a dedicated sales staff. So, it's in Torrence where you can get factory warranty service done and they also handle repairs and refresh services on all their products.

Over the years and over millions of dollars in Alpinestars sales, I've seen only a miniscule amount of warranty and defect issues. And when they have popped up, Alpinestars has always thrown down with either full replacement or a quick repair job. Little things like stitching on a glove, they'll replace the item. Bigger affairs, like fading velcroe or a bad cut on a suit or jacket, they'll take the item in for a quick repair. You can also send your moto boots to Torrence to get resoled. guys are always a little amazed when i mention this, perhaps because they think the company is too big to get involved this in this type of thing.

In talking to the folks at Alpinestars, there is a plan to keep adding adventure touring products to their product catalog and to improve on existing models over the years. Good news for ADV riders. Because they've been around for so long, you'll see Alpinestars having version 5, 6 or 7 of a given product. For instance, I've seen the Alpinestars 360 suit go through 3 redesigns over the years. It is due for another remake this year. Some products, like the Jet Road gloves will go through a catalog run and then dissappear for a few years, only to return, with an all new design, new materials and based on the past years'of research, testing and user feedback. I've been inside the Alpinestars
testing facility. Very cool.

I've put together a related page of Alpinestars adventure and touring focused gear on our web site as a guide. I'll keep this updated as the 2011 product gets introduced here in the next week or so. Of course, stuff not on this list isn't excluded from ADV duty, but the products on this page are intentionally designed for the adventure touring activity and so have some specific features for the task. I'll also keep poking Alpinestars to build more products for this market. Questions or comments, additions, subtractions, please chime in. thanks.

Joe (el presidente)

WVhillbilly 02-16-2011 04:30 PM

Nice, since I'm gear shopping right now I'll be lurking around on your site.

Backonthebike 02-16-2011 06:53 PM

Hey Joe,
You might be the one to help me.
I've just bought a new pair of Tech 7 MX boots.
Trying them on it the office over my suit pants, and I snugged up some of the ratchet operated bucke straps, some of which are now a bit tight.
What is the trick for releasing the ratchet to let them back out again?????

Cheers
Tim
(Looking a bit silly right now)

motostrano 02-17-2011 10:26 AM

Hi Tim

Yea, it can be tricky at times and is easier to do with the boot off. You basically take your thumb and jamb it on the the buckle entry, pull the strap back, which releases the teeth inside the boot and you can then pull it out or push it in and it won't move freely. i've attached a photo of what i mean

http://www.motostrano.com/lib/motost...7bootstrap.jpg

hope this helps.

Cheers,

Joe

Quote:

Originally Posted by Backonthebike (Post 15208757)
Hey Joe,
You might be the one to help me.
I've just bought a new pair of Tech 7 MX boots.
Trying them on it the office over my suit pants, and I snugged up some of the ratchet operated bucke straps, some of which are now a bit tight.
What is the trick for releasing the ratchet to let them back out again?????

Cheers
Tim
(Looking a bit silly right now)

motostrano 02-17-2011 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WVhillbilly (Post 15207741)
Nice, since I'm gear shopping right now I'll be lurking around on your site.

Cool. Let me know if I can help.

Joe

Backonthebike 02-17-2011 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motostrano (Post 15213044)
Hi Tim

Yea, it can be tricky at times and is easier to do with the boot off. You basically take your thumb and jamb it on the the buckle entry, pull the strap back, which releases the teeth inside the boot and you can then pull it out or push it in and it won't move freely. i've attached a photo of what i mean

http://www.motostrano.com/lib/motost...7bootstrap.jpg

hope this helps.

Cheers,

Joe

Thanks Joe, it works a treat. Your speedy and expert assistance just reminds me again what a powerful tool the interweb is.
Thanks again.

Cheers
Tim

motostrano 02-18-2011 10:05 AM

Thanks Tim. Any time

Joe

motostrano 02-18-2011 11:40 AM

I just noticed some 2011 price reductions that hit the system this morning on some close-out Alpinestars leather and also the 360 suit. We've brought our pricing down on some of these, accordingly. There are leather jackets to be had now for between 2-3 hundred. Some good deals, while they last. You'll find these in our close out section only: http://www.motostrano.com/closeouts.html

motostrano 02-19-2011 08:04 AM

This week motorcycle dealers get to leave the comfort of their homes and venture off to Indianapolis to freeze their nuts off, trudge around in ice cold sludge and hang out in sub-par strip joints, all to look at the new moto stuff for 2011. Here, Alpinestars is busy releasing some 2011 products, some of which might be of interest to riders here.

Due to the ongoing effects of the recession, there's no giant slew of new products coming out from any vendor this year, as far as I can tell. And not just for clothing. I'm seeing lots of minor improvements to this or that product and a few new releases here and there. Those that have resources to innovate are and those that laid off all their design staff are busy putting new wrapping on old stuff.

Where hard parts are concerned, aftermarket manufacturers are in dire shape right now, with most of them cutting off their products still at yea 2009 and 2010 because they just don't have access to any 2011 or 2010 motorcycles to test fit any new items. This is bad for the industry, bad for the riders that can buy a 2011 bike and want to put new stuff on it that fits.

I'm liking their Alpinestars' Scheme Gloves quite a bit, for a light weight kevlar based glove, something like the old SPS glove. A good short summer glove.

In a similar vein, there's a new Alpinestars Matrix jacket, also made predominantly of Kevlar with a mechanic's style to it, simple styling, light weight for those warm summer days, when the skies are blue and the girls are pretty.

And to round out this "outfit", you could look at their Logic Kevlar Jeans. In my opinion, Alpinestars has struggled to get a riding jean to market that motorcycle riding men would feel good about wearing. These pants seem to do it with a less euro Italian cut and more of a boot fit to them.

Beyond this, there are some new leather jackets, like the Alpinestars GP R leather jacket and some mods to a leather suit. No replacement yet for the 360 Drystar suit, which, I am waiting for.

There are also two new back protector products. The Bionic Air Back Protector tries to solve the problem of sweaty back with a more breathable back protector. This same item is available as an insert for your Alpinestars jacket or any other brand jacket, for that matter.

Joe

motostrano 02-25-2011 11:41 AM

Thought I'd post this up since these things are flying out the door faster than burgers at the local In and Out

We have a few good sizes in stock.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/motostrano_2147_61809831

Sale Price: $150.00

Alpinestars Halo Leather Jacket

At $389.95 plus shipping we probably sold ten of these last year. At $150 and free shipping, I've sold 10 in the past 4 hours.

A solid basic black leather motorcycle jacket, but, by Alpinestars, so it's better than 90% of the other junk out there.

motostrano 02-28-2011 10:31 PM

Update for you on some of the smashing deals available right now on clearance Alpinestars goods from their 2010/ 2009 catalogs.

Except for their touring suit, most of the clearance roster are leather. Not much really archetypal "adventure" about them, but so what.

We have plenty of the low price HALO jacket still available to order for $150.

On top of that, there are other jackets in the Alpinestars range on clearance that are worth a look.

One of my personal favorites is the NYC Jacket http://www.motostrano.com/nycjacket.html
a solid, quality leather black perforated leather jacket with a classic look to it. We have it currently for $269 and this is usually a $400 piece of leather.

Another one is the Velocity http://www.motostrano.com/velocity.html
Retro look. Smooth leather. $299

Good stuff.

RedlegDaddy 03-01-2011 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Backonthebike (Post 15217726)
Thanks Joe, it works a treat. Your speedy and expert assistance just reminds me again what a powerful tool the interweb is.
Thanks again.

Cheers
Tim

It's great having someone who KNOWS what he sells!

How does the sizing run on the Alpinestars Durban Gore-Tex Jacket? I know that I typically need to go up a size from what I normally wear in the Astars leather.

THANKS

motostrano 03-01-2011 07:51 PM

Hi Redleg-

If you find you need to go up one with Astars, do it here too. The Durban has a similar cut to other textile jackets like the Space and others. Depends how you like it to fit too. Some like a tight fitting jacket, some dont. Leather in particular, but this wont fit like your leather, depending on what you have.

Note, there are adjustments on the arms and waist.

May I ask what leather jacket(s) you have or have had?

For instance the old TZ1, or the GP Plus, or any of the more sport oriented jackets will fit very different than the leather Stunt or other street type jackets that are cut more loosely.

And of course, we have an easy return/exchange policy on this item.

This is an expensive jacket. I'd be happy to make sure you get the right size.

Joe

Trophy Mike 03-02-2011 06:39 AM

:thumb
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedlegDaddy (Post 15313191)
It's great having someone who KNOWS what he sells!

Hey Motostrano, kudos for offering all the Alpinestars info with only a single vendors thread. What are you anti-capitalist?

motostrano 03-02-2011 12:19 PM

Thank you Mike. I believe that some things should be allowed to sell themselves, separate from pomp and circumstance. But, I do own a copy of Das Kapital and have even tried to read it a couple times. does that count?

Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:34 PM.