ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Schuberth C3 Helmet Review (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=667299)

Traveling Man 03-10-2011 04:28 PM

Schuberth C3 Helmet Review

I took the plunge and bought a new C3 Helmet and the SRC Communications sytem. I was in Daytona and had the chance to spend time with the Schuberth rep, I quickly became educated on the features and was impressed.

At this point I have about 800 miles using the helmet, about 5 days of riding. My overall impression so far is that I am very pleased and glad that I splurged on this setup. I will admit it is expensive, thats the biggest obstacle. I did get a discount because I purchased a new bike, that helped.

Pros...

It fits me very well, it felt very comfortable when trying it on. The ratchet strap is nice. No more D ring to loop a strap through. The ratchet piece is hard plastic and does feel different on your neck but I didn't notice it after the first hour.

It is definitely quiet. Under the chin there is a piece of padded fabric that seals off the helmet. There is no air that comes up from the bottom, any air you feel is strictly through the vents. Opening and closing the vents does make a big difference in airflow, you can feel it. With the communications system it is very easy to hear anything your connected to at half volume. My regular Scala on a 3/4 helmet with a face shield had to be at full volume to hear anything. That is partly due to the upgrade in speakers but the helmet is much quieter.

The drop down tinted visor has been a very pleasant surprise. I don't wear sunglasses anymore when riding. The visor is infinitely variable, I have been dropping it down just enough to cover the bright sunlight but leaving my GPS and gauges below the tinted visor which makes it much easier to see them.

The face shield has a solid seal. I was riding in fairly heavy rain for about 15 minutes and not a drop of water leaked into the helmet. I have not had an opportunity to see how well the anti fog feature works.

The SRC is fabulous. For long trips I sync my GPS to the helmet and my iPhone to the GPS. I can listen to music I loaded on the GPS, phone calls, intercom, and bike to bike. The setup was easy and worked the first try. The FM radio built into the SRC is a nice surprise, it works much better than I thought it would. I am very pleased with this setup, highly recommend it.

The support from the people at Schuberth has been top notch. I had a few questions and I always received a quick response either by phone or email. They were helpful and always wanting to help. I feel that if I have any issues I will get help from Schuberth, always a good feeling.

Cons...

After the first 3 hours of riding I developed a pressure point at the top of my forehead. It started hurting to the point I needed to stop and take a break. When that happened I was very concerned. After a 15 minute break, back on the road and I made it about 2 hours before I had to stop. I realized that helmets take a little breaking in but this concerned me. After 3 days of the same problem I talked to the Schuberth rep. He did say it is probably a break in problem and that if I could keep wearing the helmet it will breakin and eventually feel ok. He also gave me other ideas to try. I have elected to keep wearing it to see what happens. I was assured that if the problem persists they would send me new pads to adjust the helmet and fix the problem. This weekend I will be riding about 500 miles in 2 days so I hope it improves.

When the tinted visor got dirty it is difficult to get my hand inside to clean it. A minor problem but something that was a hassle. I'm not sure how that could be different.

This helmet cost a lot of money. When I park the bike I used to leave my helmet hanging from the bike, I always trusted people and never had a problem. The price of the helmet changed all that for me. There is no convenient way to lock it to the bike. It does fit in my top bag while I am local but on long trips that bag will be full. Every time I stop somewhere I take the helmet with me. It would be nice to have a sturdy bag to carry the helmet in. I did get a helmet bag that is more of a protective cover from scratches but doesn't have a handle for carrying. Maybe this doesn't seem important but everyday use it does require more effort.

After I take the helmet off I am extra careful about where I place the helmet. If i set it down on the pavement I am concerned that the SRC control panel, buttons, will be damaged or at least scratched. I have been setting a small towel on the ground and putting the helmet on that to avoid scratches. On my bike I can't put it over the mirror, it doesn't seem stable. I will probably find a solution at some point but right now it is a hassle.

That is all I can think about right now. As I gain more experience with the helmet I will update. This is definitely the best helmet I have ever owned. I am optimistic that the pressure point problem will be fixed or fix itself. Is it worth the money? For me it is...

kjazz 03-10-2011 05:07 PM

I want one of those, but you've brought up some interesting issues. It's so dang nice that you are REALLY worried about losing or damaging (scratching) it. I dont blame you, I'd be that way too, but I might just hold off buying one also!!! Good luck with it and thanks for the review!!

GB 03-10-2011 05:49 PM

How many hours can you get on the SRC's batteries?

How do you find operating the buttons on it with gloves while you're riding?

birdie_xx 03-10-2011 07:13 PM

Helmet bag....

Quote:

It would be nice to have a sturdy bag to carry the helmet in.

I use one of these and I like it a lot. Has many cool features - handle, strap, good fabric, padding, can be easily attached to a rack or rear seat...the opening is at the bottom - the zipper won't scratch the helmet !

http://www.compacc.com/p/Givi-T433-H...51%20zmap=T433

I just read the description and my bag is not vinyl... it's a heavy textile material. I've had my bag on plaines few times as a carry on too ;)

Cheers,

Traveling Man 03-11-2011 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gadget Boy (Post 15387764)

I haven't tried to measure the usage time yet. The 2nd day I used the helmet I did have it on for about 8 hrs while riding but I wasn't always using the available functions. This weekend I will be riding with another Scala user and will be constantly using the bike to bike intercom. There isn't any way I know of to determine battery strength until it dies. Thats a good question and I will see what I can find. Because this SRC does so many things and the actual usage of those functions can vary greatly I am not sure it is going to be easy to measure.

I live in Florida and it hasn't been cold enough when I have been riding to use gloves. The buttons are very easy to operate without gloves, they give a nice tactile feedback. It does take some time to be able to find them quickly only because I am not used to using them yet. I'm sure the gloves will make it a little more difficult but there is a solid ridge between the first 3 buttons, then a gap followed by the volume buttons with a solid ridge between the last two. The placement and spacing seems to be good so far.

Traveling Man 03-11-2011 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdie_xx (Post 15388383)
I use one of these and I like it a lot. Has many cool features - handle, strap, good fabric, padding, can be easily attached to a rack or rear seat...the opening is at the bottom - the zipper won't scratch the helmet !

http://www.compacc.com/p/Givi-T433-H...51%20zmap=T433

I just read the description and my bag is not vinyl... it's a heavy textile material. I've had my bag on plaines few times as a carry on too ;)

Cheers,

I just checked out the link, that looks like it would be perfect. It's a little difficult to tell but does the bag have something like a long shoulder strap. That seems to be my biggest problem with carrying it, you always have a hand tied up holding onto the helmet. To be able to throw a strap over the shoulder would be nice. Thanks for letting me know about this bag.

Trophy Mike 03-11-2011 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traveling Man (Post 15387128)
After I take the helmet off I am extra careful about where I place the helmet. If i set it down on the pavement I am concerned that the SRC control panel, buttons, will be damaged or at least scratched. I have been setting a small towel on the ground and putting the helmet on that to avoid scratches. On my bike I can't put it over the mirror, it doesn't seem stable. I will probably find a solution at some point but right now it is a hassle.

Stable or not, putting a helmet over a mirror or handlebar is never a good idea. Other than the obvious falling off it can inadvertently wear an interior area of the helmet. In MSF classes we recommended helmets flat on the ground during non-use but your concerns over the SRC are understandable. Tail bags sometimes accommodate helmets. If shopping for one best to bring the helmet along for a live try-in. The C3 is lower profile than most so it shouldn't be too difficult.

Schuberth C3 Sale for ADVriders

Traveling Man 03-11-2011 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trophy Mike (Post 15391019)
Stable or not, putting a helmet over a mirror or handlebar is never a good idea. Other than the obvious falling off it can inadvertently wear an interior area of the helmet. In MSF classes we recommended helmets flat on the ground during non-use but your concerns over the SRC are understandable. Tail bags sometimes accommodate helmets. If shopping for one best to bring the helmet along for a live try-in. The C3 is lower profile than most so it shouldn't be too difficult.

Schuberth C3 Sale for ADVriders

Your point about wear on the inside of the helmet is right on, I was also thinking about that but failed to mention it. The price your offering on the combination is very good. That is also what I ended up paying after negotiating the deal through a bike purchase. I have always had an XL in all my other helmets, the same with the Schuberth so sizing seems consistent. I have a few friends interested, I will let them know about this offer.

plonkomaticus 03-11-2011 08:14 AM

@Traveling Man
"... There is no convenient way to lock it to the bike..."

Solution:
http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php...n=detail&id=27

I've used a Lidsafe for a couple of years now, and it always comes with me when I'm touring. It's an effective deterrent against snatch-theft, it's light and rolls up compact into its own carrying bag.

JoeDuck 03-11-2011 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gadget Boy (Post 15387764)

I get about 8-9 hrs on the SRC while streaming MP3s (have to powercycle the helmet with this though I was told its a known issue with a fix in the works) and using GPS audio. The buttons are easy to operate with gloves, the learning curve is the muscle memory of what button is where and remember what each button does.

WEE4ME 03-11-2011 10:02 AM

1+ Lidsafe :thumb

kjazz 03-11-2011 07:02 PM

Lidsafe!!! Cool, I was about to suggest looking at that company for an answer. I didn't realize they'd addressed it yet!! Thanks for the heads up.

birdie_xx 03-11-2011 11:55 PM

Quote:

It's a little difficult to tell but does the bag have something like a long shoulder strap. That seems to be my biggest problem with carrying it, you always have a hand tied up holding onto the helmet. To be able to throw a strap over the shoulder would be nice.
Yes, the bag has a detachable shoulder strap and a little outside pocket where you can stash the strap when not in use...

Cheers,

Miles Tugeaux 03-12-2011 06:48 AM

Thanks for the review. Does the inner sun visor stay put? I read a review somewhere that the visor would drop down when hitting a bump - any issue with this?

Here's another take-it-with-you bag alternative: http://www.gibson-barnes.com/index.p...39&prod_id=181

I don't see a shoulder strap - you'd probably have to improvise one. I'm not affiliated, but have bought jackets, flight suits, gloves, skull caps, etc. from them and it's quality stuff.

Tim

RobStar 03-12-2011 11:30 PM

I just bought a C3 from Long Beach BMW roughly 12 days ago and have logged about 1000 miles in it going back and forth from Vegas to LA and also Vegas to Death Valley.

My previous / other helmet is a Shoei Hornet DS. I plan to use the Hornet still for primary off-road trips and the C3 for slabbing it type trips.

I definitely like the Hornet but in the last eight months I've developed some inner ear problems not related to helmet noise (I always wear plugs) but at this point I'm trying everything I can to minimize any aggravation to my left ear.

The C3 is clearly quieter hands down compared to the Hornet but you'd expect it to be. When I stand in the wind at even 80 mph it's just a light wisp as the airstream moves around the helmet. Seated on my GSA I still get some buffeting noise but again nothing like the Hornet.

The included Pinlock anti-fog shield and one pin on mine was loose from the beginning but an email to Schuberth US got a quick response and a immediate replacement. The loose Pinlock would vibrate down as I rode. The new one stays in place perfectly. Living in Las Vegas we are so dry that fogging is never an issue but I do travel so I'll store it and use it as needed.

One note on the Pinlock is that at night it causes fairly significant double glare imaging of oncoming headlights but that was in LA rush hour traffic. Still it was bad enough that I deemed it not safe at night unless of course fogging would be worse.

The sun visor system absolutely ROCKS! While I have dark and clear visors for my Hornet I was constantly riding home at night with a dark visor. Now I just flip it up on the C3. The tint and optics are great. It is easily removed for cleaning as is the regular visor.

Like the previous poster I got headaches the first week which I didn't really attribute to the helmet until a few days passed. It eased up on my trip to LA this week and there were no headaches but after three hours or so I was ready to take it off and welcomed a pee break for both reasons.

The ventilation is very good but I've only ridden in temps up to 90 degs F in the last week. I do have my reservations how it will be in our 105+ deg summer temps here in the desert Southwest.

I also am just getting used to physically handling a non-beak / visored helmet with a totally exposed front visor. The sun beak or whatever it is called on my Hornet offered some protection of the clear visor from accidental helmet tips.

This is my first modular helmet and I have to say being able to lift the face to talk, drink out of a water bottle, snack or spit is great. Still learning to get it reseated and locked one-handed.

My next project this week with it is to get my Autocom system mounted inside. Since I already have Autocom in my Hornet I ordered a second headset / mic / speaker kit so I didn't have to swap them from helmet to helmet.

Yes it was expensive but a helmet not only provides an essential safety function, it provides comfort, visual and communication functions. My added motivation was a quieter ride and it has delivered on all accounts.

Again, my only concern is how it will be in 105+ deg temps not that much of anything feels "cool" at that point but that is summer riding here.

RobStar

Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:00 PM.