ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Trip Planning (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   ten essentials to pack for a motorcycle trip (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688765)

charlw 05-18-2011 02:42 AM

ten essentials to pack for a motorcycle trip

I am preparing for a trip through Africa. On my blog I have posted 10 essentials to carry along.

Go To :

http://teawithafrica.blogspot.com/20...rcyclists.html

I would appreciate it if you can add to the list.

:norton

dukedinner 05-20-2011 03:56 PM

Welcome to Advrider. Perhaps post your list here as well?

My ten essentials boil down to three things

1) Ride a well maintained bike
2) Know how to ride the conditions you will encounter, be flexible with your schedule, and be able to fix your bike when necessary
3) Wear proper riding gear and carry only what you need to be self sufficient/prepared...less really is more when it comes to motorcycle travel (took me a while to figure that out!).

Happy trails!

TwoShots 05-21-2011 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dukedinner (Post 15962704)
2) Know how to ride the conditions you will encounter, be flexible with your schedule, and be able to fix your bike when necessary

Umm...
Not to be all anal retentive, but isn't that really three items rolled into one making your total number of items... 5?

spaiduhz 05-21-2011 02:02 AM

Eh. My list would be as follows.

1. Standard toolkit and whatever else you need.
2. Tire repair kit. Inclusive of patches, tool, pump.
3. Expendables. Spark plugs and light bulbs for me.
4. Utility knife. Knife and saws will be very useful.
5. Pocket flashlight. The L shaped variety that the army uses. Spare batteries for this fellow as well. It has colored filters, which can be useful when you are trying to get attention.
6. Basic medical supplies. Antiseptic cream, bandages, water tablets, plenty of your own medication if you have a prescription.
7. Communications device. A satellite phone if you are rich, a cheap cellphone with the locally available prepaid cards if not. I prefer the latter, you have a nice collection of international cards when you get back home. Turning on your providers' roaming option is expensive.
8. Writing material. For writing your memoirs.
9. An english to whatever language translation dictionary. A good one can also serve as a weapon.
10. A battery charging system. Ciggy lighter socket and a good usb adapter, hooked up to a battery charger. Dont count on having running electricity. You can even use it to charge your phone, with the proper wires. Dont lose the batteries! Dont even lend them to anyone!

Well i think that should cover the basics.

jbb13 05-21-2011 08:16 AM

My favorite is the slingshot. I forgot the sandals when I wet on my dirt bike trip, I can promise those will never be forgotten again.

pfb 05-21-2011 09:19 AM

I'll add:
  • TP, because I don't like to go third-world style.
  • Stack of $1 USD, because it's the perfect universal social lubricant and can help get the little things or a bit of extra help anywhere.
  • Water purification tablets, because otherwise you might need lots of the first item.
  • Quick weld putty, I don't leave home without it.
  • Space blanket, because it sucks to be broken down and cold.

Tucson Jim 05-21-2011 09:29 AM

+1 on these:

1. TP-Nature makes the rules we just try and be comfortable
2. Cash, cash and more cash. $500 minimum.
3. Credit Card, when cash won't do.
4. One Liter of Water
5. JB Weld and the putty=life saver, bike saver or trip saver
6. Space Blanket=Ground cloth, rain tarp, warmness, bike cover, tent
7. tape (Duct, electrical, silicon)
8. Medical Gear
9. Cell phone with charger
10. Stainless steel wire, strong, light, fixes a lot of stuff

Leave the slingshot at home.

littlewilly 05-24-2011 03:43 AM

Essentials

Don't forget the toilet paper guys.:wink:

Motojournalism 05-24-2011 01:00 PM

Oh, cool. Love lists like that charlw :thumb
When do you leave on your trip?

I did a similar list on my blog for the "extras" beyond the essentials - though there's certainly some crossover:
http://motojournalism.blogspot.com/2...ds-n-ends.html

To the essentials I'd consider earplugs, stainless wire, a hacksaw blade and vice grips

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_kgxrKGfKch...of+12%2529.jpg

Dazed Productions 05-24-2011 03:56 PM

What is that old saying? The only thing vice grips are good for are for rounding off bolts! If you have a proper toolkit for your bike then you shouldn't need such barbaric tools!
To me, epoxy putty (quicksteel or whatever) is much more versatile for roadside repairs than JB weld or other 2-part liquid epoxys. Putty ones can seal up a shattered engine case.
Gaffer tape and Zip ties should be right up there on the top of any repair kit list. Tools are a lot more bike specific.

Motojournalism 05-25-2011 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dazed Productions (Post 15994427)
What is that old saying? The only thing vice grips are good for are for rounding off bolts! If you have a proper toolkit for your bike then you shouldn't need such barbaric tools!
To me, epoxy putty (quicksteel or whatever) is much more versatile for roadside repairs than JB weld or other 2-part liquid epoxys. Putty ones can seal up a shattered engine case.
Gaffer tape and Zip ties should be right up there on the top of any repair kit list. Tools are a lot more bike specific.

Ah, good call on the putty :thumb

But the Vice Grips are never used used on bolts, that's like using a hammer on a screw.
The vice grips are to be used really like a portable vice - to keep something you are filing/sawing from moving. Or when you need an extra "handle" on something.
Also great when you need to grip something lightly at a set pressure, but no more.
And if you ever snap off a lever, clutch, brake, shifter. A small pair of vice grips can really save your ass!
Clamp the Vice Grips to what ever nub is left and limp home!

viajero 05-26-2011 09:35 AM

If you wear glasses, best to have a spare set, maybe even a copy of your prescription. I guess the same would apply for those with contacts.

A hat to protect the noggin from harsh sun and heat when not riding.

I always carry something to read, paperback book usually.

Many good ideas here and thanks to those providing them.

mac inger 05-26-2011 02:51 PM

Subscribed. Im leaving soon too so will share my new list of things.

viajero have you thought about a kindle or smth similar ? I can't go anywhere without reading material and they way i read through those, it would get heavy real quick

Truckin_Thumper 05-26-2011 05:33 PM

10 essentials for whom? Me or you?

this is a loaded question

Tucson Jim 05-26-2011 05:45 PM

one man's survival kit is another man's unnecessary weight.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:54 AM.