ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   OZ Vendors (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Mitas Tyres (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=689869)

Beet 05-21-2011 08:17 PM

Mitas Tyres

wow that was one of the hardest tyre changes Ive done. I just hope I dont get a flat out bush as Im sure ill need a pub near by. On the positive side I did have My Ballard Tyre Levers and all the extras that My shed offers. all the best Beetle.

lentil 05-21-2011 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by over50ncroozin (Post 15970365)
just out of curiosity, which model tyre and size :)

Over 50, I'm still working on replying :-)

And beet they are pricks cold but. Ok hot

Flanman13 05-21-2011 09:21 PM

Agreed

I recently was gifted with a hole appearing in the side of my E08 Rear. Figured "Well, cant exactly fix that." So i rode the 50k;s home whilst leaning up over the headlight.
75% of the side wall was torn by the time I got home but it was still on the bead. Completely.
Make sure you get her nice and wet round the edges before slipping on a new one.

BurnieM 05-21-2011 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flanman13 (Post 15970630)
Make sure you get her nice and wet round the edges before slipping on a new one.

Always do :D

The Bigfella 05-21-2011 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flanman13 (Post 15970630)
I recently was gifted with a hole appearing in the side of my E08 Rear. Figured "Well, cant exactly fix that." So i rode the 50k;s home whilst leaning up over the headlight.
75% of the side wall was torn by the time I got home but it was still on the bead. Completely.

Only 75%.... mate... get into it a bit harder!

Sorry to use car tyres to illustrate.... but the top one went at about 150 k... and that was the sidewall (untouched) by the time I stopped. The bottom one went at 170 kph on the main straight at Winton. The tread did a bit of damage to the car. The first one was a puncture. The second one was old rubber. I won't use a tyre that's over 5 years old now.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...by/Kumho-1.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...cond/tyre2.jpg

Beet 05-22-2011 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by over50ncroozin (Post 15970365)
just out of curiosity, which model tyre and size :)

More info - DR650 and it was actually getting the e09 on the rim, mainly the rear, what a battle, I ended up using a G clamp to asist. Popping the bead was simple enough, love the CRC. all the best Beetle

Mitas 06-08-2011 04:54 AM

E-09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beet (Post 15971806)
More info - DR650 and it was actually getting the e09 on the rim, mainly the rear, what a battle, I ended up using a G clamp to asist. Popping the bead was simple enough, love the CRC. all the best Beetle

what was the dimension of the rim ?

clintnz 06-08-2011 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitas (Post 16112398)
what was the dimension of the rim ?

If it's a std DR650 it would be 17" - The DR rears are well known to be tight at times.

I've put a few of each E0-7 & E0-9 on the 18" rear of my 640 with no problems, similar to fit to any other tyre.

Cheers
Clint

hunter_greyghost 06-08-2011 04:39 PM

Running a E-07 [18"] on one of my XS' & the bloody thing won't wear out!
down to the centre 'bar' in the middle of the tread, what's the legal limit one of these tyres?
Cheers
Baza

abhibeckert 06-08-2011 05:31 PM

Hate to say it, but are you sure you weren't doing something wrong? Like making sure the tyre slips into the centre of the rim on the opposite side to where you're levering?

The last three of four times I fitted an E0-7 (slightly different tyre of course) it was a piece of cake, even when I was doing it in a ditch with just a couple of short levers and no lubrication of any kind (the only hard part was pumping the blooding thing up again with a tiny hand pump).

Every time I've ever had difficulty fitting tyre, I realised eventually that my technique was wrong.

abhibeckert 06-08-2011 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunter_greyghost (Post 16117609)
Running a E-07 [18"] on one of my XS' & the bloody thing won't wear out!
down to the centre 'bar' in the middle of the tread, what's the legal limit one of these tyres?
Cheers
Baza

I don't know for sure, but I believe as long as it won't aquaplane and isn't unevenly worn out, you're perfectly legal. 2mm tread depth or something like that.

It'll have no grip at all in the dirt, long before it's actually illegal.

grimripper 06-08-2011 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunter_greyghost (Post 16117609)
what's the legal limit one of these tyres?
Cheers
Baza

Qld Transport says:

"Each tyre fitted to the motor vehicle must have a
tread pattern of a depth of at least 1.5mm on
every part of the tyre that touches the road, and
must not be fitted with cleats or another device
likely to damage a road."

Same for NSW

bbjay 06-08-2011 08:39 PM

You spring for a new tyre beet ,, What gives :eek1

B

GagsD2 06-08-2011 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhibeckert (Post 16117957)
Hate to say it, but are you sure you weren't doing something wrong? Like making sure the tyre slips into the centre of the rim on the opposite side to where you're levering?

The last three of four times I fitted an E0-7 (slightly different tyre of course) it was a piece of cake, even when I was doing it in a ditch with just a couple of short levers and no lubrication of any kind (the only hard part was pumping the blooding thing up again with a tiny hand pump).

Every time I've ever had difficulty fitting tyre, I realised eventually that my technique was wrong.

Got an E-09 Dakar fitted to my DR recently.....I was going to do it myself but when I went to pick it up, I felt how stiff the sidewall was and got them to do it.......and they had a hell of a time also.....:eek1

Boo82 06-08-2011 09:57 PM

Lupine and I had been trying ti fit a new EO-9, I think, to his DL1000. Ended up cutting the bead with an angle grinder to get the old one off. Was interesting to say the least. Was lucky we didn't set the fire alarms off in the cycle shop where he works.:huh

Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:41 AM.