ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Trip Planning (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Bear Spray vs. Wasp/Hornet Spray??? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=701452)

Englishmatt 06-26-2011 05:47 PM

Bear Spray vs. Wasp/Hornet Spray???

So I've been told several times not to spend the $$$ on Bear Spray, just go purchase the Wasp/Hornet spray. It cost about $5 and shoots further....

Any truth to this...?

Headed into BC and AK next week.

Matt.

acejones 06-26-2011 05:59 PM

I don't know the answer, but how luckey do you feel ?

Lone Rider 06-26-2011 06:59 PM

The wasp, etc spray is powerful stuff. Like, dead right then.
It blows its powerful wad fairly quickly.

If it states 20', believe 15' max. It unloads really fast. A real stream and not a spray.

T-Rex might like it for a mouth wash, but it's strong shit that kills little stuff, and I would naturally assume it would deter big stuff.

Dunno, but sounds good.

510ebl 06-26-2011 07:10 PM

Is it fair to say you have been advised to carry wasp spray on legal grounds, not practical grounds?

I mean, have you been advised that bear spray can be difficult to cross borders with, so take wasp spray instead? Has anyone actually tried out wasp spray on a hungry or angry bear?

I'd take wasp spray for the two legged threats (absent legal firearms) and procure bear spray when legal to do so.

Clear as mud?

ETA: I've never encountered an angry bear intent on harming me, but I HAVE encountered angry wasps, yellow jackets, etc. If only someone would make poison ivy repellant...

mac10 06-26-2011 08:17 PM

Here is a summary:

Wasp spray is not proven on bears as an attack deterrent. Bear spray is well proven and highly effective. It works with almost perfect certainty. Wasp spray effectiveness is unknown.

Bear spray is a fine mist fog, intended to get easily and quickly on target, on a probably fast moving relatively small bear face. 30 foot range, or better, coloured orange so you can see where it is going and correct aim. Wasp spray is a jet, hard to hit with, and slower on target, and being wasted the whole time it is not on target. Bear spray throws a big cloud of irritating spray. This is critical in a bear encounter. A short half second shot will do it, to throw up an effective cloud. Wasp spray has to hit to maybe work. Bear spray gives you at minimum 15 half second shots of nasty vapor. Wasp spray is unknown

Bear spray comes in reliable cans with tested hardware.That is part of its higher cost-you are paying for reliability. It will be unlikely to fail.That is absolutely important in a bear encounter. Wasp spray hardware reliability is unknown.

Bear spray labeled for use on bears is legal in Canada and the US. Should be no hassle to cross borders, so long as it is in a big bear spray size can and labeled as bear deterrent. Anyway, bear spray works on humans if it ever came to it. Just be sure it is a real and legal self defense situation. Bear spray is tested and proven non lethal to mammals. Not so wasp spray. Bear spray is safer for the user too.

Google bear spray manufacturers like Counter Assault to read more about it, and to learn modern factual information about bear encounter stategies. There is lots of good reliable proven information about bear encounter strategies available. Look it up. Don't rely on what some guy tells you.

There is discussion of this already on this site-just search wasp spray.

'I'm with Alcan Rider in the next post. Go use wasp spray on a charging grizzly, and report the results. Should be interesting data

Alcan Rider 06-26-2011 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Englishmatt (Post 16258399)
So I've been told several times not to spend the $$$ on Bear Spray, just go purchase the Wasp/Hornet spray. It cost about $5 and shoots further....

Any truth to this...?

Headed into BC and AK next week.

Matt.

Have you read the posts in this thread? Bear Safe Camping

Now... of the people who have recommended substituting wasp spray for bear spray - how many have used the wasp spray on a charging grizzly?

Just askin'.

acejones 06-26-2011 08:39 PM

Maybe go someplace where the animals are friendlier ?

SoSlow 06-26-2011 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac10 (Post 16259438)
Wasp spray hardware reliability is unknown.

Hoo-boy... I've got stories about THAT. :eek1

Englishmatt 06-27-2011 12:21 PM

Cheers for the replies...

For all the informative replies, thanks very much....I really appreicate it.

For all the ass-clown type "Go somewhere where the animals are friendler"....you can really keep hat shit to yourself. This is a TRIP PLANNING sub-section of the forum, so no ideas are bad ones right?

If you've ever had a flat, or needed help with a tire...do you think a response of "Just ride somewhere without sharp stuff on the ground"...would help ????

Anyway....YES, I was advised that the border crossing would be easier with the WASP Spray, not suggesting I was looking for an alternative to bear spray to try and cut costs. I plan to hit the REI in Missoula, MT and get some Bear Spray before heading into Glacier National Pk and across the CA border.

I have read the safe camping thread, was just polling the question to the folks that live in that part of the country.

Makes sense on the "Cloud" approach vs. the "Stream" approach. Inititally I thought the "Stream" would shot further....i.e...more useful from a longer distance...but after the replies I can see how the cloud spray would be more beneficial.

Thanks to most all for the replies...

Matt.

acejones 06-27-2011 12:30 PM

No need to get testy Matt. It wasn't a personal assault.

DeFens 06-27-2011 12:50 PM

My wife and I have crossed the border between BC and Washington state several times, on bikes and in my truck, in possession of bear spray.

"Got any weapons"
"We're going hiking and camping, so we have bear spray with us."
"Enjoy your trip!"

IOW - never any issues at all. Had some oranges confiscated that we took with us to Whistler, then tried to bring back home.

tricepilot 06-27-2011 12:59 PM

Then there was the story about the man taking his family to Canada on a camping trip.

He gets to the border and inquires about bears.

"Just get some bear repellent" he is told. "Its really effective".

So he dutifully buys a big can of bear repellent, and is promptly seen in the parking lot starting to spray down his kids with it......thinking because it says bear repellent has to be pre-applied.

DireWolf 06-27-2011 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeFens (Post 16264312)
My wife and I have crossed the border between BC and Washington state several times, on bikes and in my truck, in possession of bear spray.

"Got any weapons"
"We're going hiking and camping, so we have bear spray with us."
"Enjoy your trip!"

IOW - never any issues at all. Had some oranges confiscated that we took with us to Whistler, then tried to bring back home.

They are worried about weapons on the border.

MACE is verboten, bear spray is legit.

mike2010 06-27-2011 03:37 PM

Wasp spray against a bear is a bad idea. It is a myth! Stick with the Bear Spray. Wasp spray is unproven and has never been tested on animals or humans for that matter. I would not trust my life with it! The EPA recommends bear spray not wasp spray. Also bear spray will fire 35 ft in a pattern not requiring much accuracy. Wasp spray may spray 20 ft in a stream which requires tons of accuracy in a very stressful situation. Again stick with the bear spray!

Englishmatt 06-27-2011 09:13 PM

Cheers to all!!! I went out and purchased the Bear Spray fom REI tonight.

Thanks again....

Matt.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:43 AM.