ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ride reports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Pacific Coast Rambling San Diego to Oregon (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=704932)

Mistress of the dual 07-08-2011 07:06 AM

Pacific Coast Rambling San Diego to Oregon

Is it just me or does the world seem better when viewed from a motorcycle?
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
When: Depart July 9<SUP>th</SUP>, return July 17th.
<o:p></o:p>
Where: San Diego to somewhere in Oregon and back.
Why: For the fun of it.
Who: Mike aka Baldbeemer on his 2006 BMW R1200RT and me, Zarah aka Mistress of the Dual on my 2009 BMW F650GS

http://mzlawson.smugmug.com/Motorcyc...L/RR015-XL.jpg
We don’t really have a set schedule besides the departure date, the date we have to be back and one date to visit a friend I haven’t seen since 1976. We are just going to ramble our way up the coast and see some sights as we go along. We will be sticking to tarmac since Mike’s R1200RT is not very capable in dirt and I’m not very capable at riding in dirt on my F650GS. We both have DRZ400’s for the dirt rides.
We plan to spend most nights camping and keep the motel stays to a minimum. We are looking to do this trip on the cheap; not necessarily because we have to but more because we want to. Most of our vacations include posh hotels and decedent restaurants and although those things are very nice, it’s time for something different. I’ve read many ride reports where the authors are camping out and dinner is a can of something they picked up at the grocery. I can’t really explain why, but for some reason the simplicity of it all is very appealing to me. I always wish I could join them around their campfires; time for me to light one of my own.
The ride reports I have enjoyed the most have been those that were done live. Hopefully we’ll have good luck finding wi-fi along our route and I’ll be able to do this ride report as we go.

8thdwarf 07-08-2011 07:37 AM

weather will be great! going up hwy 1 all the way? ..... :lurk

TomDac 07-08-2011 07:49 AM

Hwy 1 is AWESOME. Especially north of San Francisco. The Oregon coast is spectacular. Spend some time in Coos Bay and Astoria.. Both beautiful little towns.

Did SF to Seattle via coast in 2009. Was AWESOME. Trip report HERE

Mistress of the dual 07-08-2011 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8thdwarf (Post 16345352)
weather will be great! going up hwy 1 all the way? ..... :lurk

We'll be going north via Hwy 101 and returning via Hwy 1.

Mistress of the dual 07-08-2011 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomDac (Post 16345416)
Hwy 1 is AWESOME. Especially north of San Francisco. The Oregon coast is spectacular. Spend some time in Coos Bay and Astoria.. Both beautiful little towns.

Did SF to Seattle via coast in 2009. Was AWESOME. Trip report HERE

Hey TomDac, thanks for sharing your RR. Don't think we'll make it as far as Coos Bay. When we get to Oregon we are going to head inland towards Crater Lake, then back towards the coast. We'll most likely hit the coast at Bandon and then head back south.

TomDac 07-08-2011 10:09 AM

Sounds like a great plan. Crater Lake is on my list also. Ride safe. :-)

XC Rider 07-09-2011 03:03 AM

Hi Zarah, Hi Mike! :wave The bikes look great! Oh and you guys look fantastic as well! :lol3 Mike, I love the shirt, many a days on my current trip I've had a similar image in my head for when the weather gotten cold or nasty.

I'll be keeping tabs on your RR and hoping that we can meet up on OR somewhere! Zarah, I'll PM you my cell # that way you have it. Have fun you guys!

caponerd 07-09-2011 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistress of the dual (Post 16345431)
We'll be going north via Hwy 101 and returning via Hwy 1.

Try to time your run down the Oregon Coast so you can spend a night in Port Orford, OR. Have dinner at Griff's. The fish they serve was probably caught about an hour before you sat down at your table.

Watch the boats being hauled out of the water for the night.

Oh, and a night in Bolinas, CA at Smiley's Hotel is always worthwhile. You tell where the turnoff to Bolinas is by reaching Stinson Beach, then turning around and going back to the very North end of the lagoon. Turn left at the only road you find.

Steve06 07-09-2011 09:13 AM

Best of Luck

Looking fwd to the RR. Used to live in Hiouchi many years ago just up from Jedediah Smith State Park. Beautiful area. Much Mahalo

/r

Katoom990 07-09-2011 09:56 AM

Have fun on the ride. We'll be heading south on 101 from vancouver, B.C. later this summer. Hope to make it all the way to california before heading back up via Crater Lake and Mount St. Helens.

Mistress of the dual 07-09-2011 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XC Rider (Post 16352387)
Hi Zarah, Hi Mike! :wave The bikes look great! Oh and you guys look fantastic as well! :lol3 Mike, I love the shirt, many a days on my current trip I've had a similar image in my head for when the weather gotten cold or nasty.

I'll be keeping tabs on your RR and hoping that we can meet up on OR somewhere! Zarah, I'll PM you my cell # that way you have it. Have fun you guys!

Hey Denis, I'm also keeping tabs on your RR, even though I'm on my own ride I still need to check in on yours to get me daily fix.

Mistress of the dual 07-09-2011 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caponerd (Post 16353405)
Try to time your run down the Oregon Coast so you can spend a night in Port Orford, OR. Have dinner at Griff's. The fish they serve was probably caught about an hour before you sat down at your table.

Watch the boats being hauled out of the water for the night.

Oh, and a night in Bolinas, CA at Smiley's Hotel is always worthwhile. You tell where the turnoff to Bolinas is by reaching Stinson Beach, then turning around and going back to the very North end of the lagoon. Turn left at the only road you find.

Thanks for all the tips, I'll be checking them out.

Mistress of the dual 07-09-2011 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve06 (Post 16353661)
Looking fwd to the RR. Used to live in Hiouchi many years ago just up from Jedediah Smith State Park. Beautiful area. Much Mahalo

/r

Mahalo to you too Steve. Any must sees in that area?

Mistress of the dual 07-09-2011 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katoom990 (Post 16353868)
Have fun on the ride. We'll be heading south on 101 from vancouver, B.C. later this summer. Hope to make it all the way to california before heading back up via Crater Lake and Mount St. Helens.

Sounds like a good trip. I keep an eye out for your RR (if you are doing one).

TallRob 07-09-2011 08:00 PM

Are you really returning on the 17th? During CARMAGEDDON???? WIth the 405 being closed EVERY road will be crawling for miles and miles.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:04 AM.