ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc) (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Anyone used Mitas tires here ? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=722554)

JamesOn2Wheels 09-05-2011 01:03 PM

Anyone used Mitas tires here ?

Anyone used Mitas tires here ? Interested to know what you think of 'em.

James

Crashed Bad 09-05-2011 01:08 PM

azcagiva has been runnign them on his elefant. Said he talked to the improter about getting them in 140/89-18 for the katoom. He just drank the koolaid last week and pickes up a 950, so he should be checking in shortly.

pfdskipper 09-05-2011 01:47 PM

I sent Mitas an email two weeks ago requesting info on purchasing a 140/80/18. Have yet to get a reply.

If anyone has better intel on where to get one state-side.. please post. I need to pull the trigger on a new rear very soon and would prefer to pass on the 908RR this time around. The new pricing of the Dunlap just doesn't sit well with me.

JamesOn2Wheels 09-05-2011 02:28 PM

where did you send email to

www.mitasmx.com is stateside website

which model tire are you looking for ?

James

kulturide 09-05-2011 03:53 PM

I used Mitas on less powerful bikes such as yamaha xt 600 and i can tell you i wouldn't use it on my 950, they have a tendency to get old very quickly, cracks apear in the tread and in my opinion are not very reliable. I prefer Heidenau instead of Mitas, they are on the same price level. For example Heidenau K 60 Scout is a versatyle tyre. It's a 50/50 tyre on road/offroad.

JamesOn2Wheels 09-05-2011 04:01 PM

compounds

I was told they were using a harder compound before and cracking was an issue....i've seen lots of lug cracking on other tires as well..
They have switched to a slightly softer, stickier compound this year...supposed to be same wear but hold road tighter...I hope someone has tried them out here...I like the tread patterns.

I had a set in Austria a few years ago on an off road bike, now I'm planning an RTW on old beemer, gonna shoe it with Mitas...just not sure which ones.

James

pfdskipper 09-05-2011 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesOn2Wheels (Post 16789106)
www.mitasmx.com is stateside website

which model tire are you looking for ?

James

Thats the site I sent it to.. I was looking at the dakar model

azcagiva 09-05-2011 09:02 PM

I like them better than the michelin desert. I have had good luck with them on the elefant, but it is 30hp shy of the KTM.

I too sent them a message asking about the bigger 18" tire. I have a number for them somewhere if I don't hear back from them I will try to give them a call.

I think there is a inmate here that works for them too.

-John

eakins 09-05-2011 09:08 PM

there is an attempt over here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706242

triplenickel 09-05-2011 09:42 PM

I've used an E-09 on little bikes but it wouldn't last a day on a 950.

JamesOn2Wheels 09-06-2011 01:08 AM

Metzeler Sahara

Quote:

Originally Posted by azcagiva (Post 16792015)
I like them better than the michelin desert. I have had good luck with them on the elefant, but it is 30hp shy of the KTM.

I too sent them a message asking about the bigger 18" tire. I have a number for them somewhere if I don't hear back from them I will try to give them a call.

I think there is a inmate here that works for them too.

-John

I ran a Sahara set once, worst tires I ever had...speaking of desert style.

randel 09-06-2011 02:51 AM

I just finished 8200km trip from Estonia to Georgia and back with my 950 Superenduro (ride report coming soon :wink:), using Mitas E-07 front and rear. Opposite to others experience I would say they are great 50/50 tyre (at least rear) and looking at the tires now I believe they will last another such trip!
Positive - great grip on dry asphalt, hard packed gravel and rocks - I feel they may be even better than Dunlop 908RR or Motoz Tractionator Desert HT I used before. Not so great on sand or mud, but rear is surprisingly good tho! And they are rated up to 190km/h.
Negative - not so great on wet asphalt, especially front, I had some not so great moments during my trip. Front feels not suitable for soft surfaces like mud or sand. What makes big difference is tyre size - 140 and 150 rears have much bigger blocks than narrower sizes. I will use another E-07 rear any time but will choose another front.

LatvianStallion 09-06-2011 03:12 AM

E-09 and E-07

Right now I have an E-07 on and it has lasted pretty well for how it is being tortured on and off road. But as with every dual purpose tire I have found that it is not what I would like off road, compared to specific hard enduro tires like E-09.
I used the E-09 last season and it wore very well for 50/50 riding and I believe it lasted much longer that my friends KAROO-T.
Front mitas E-07 I used once but found that off-road it is as useless as a scorpion so after the first one I used Mitas E-09 which is much better and held up for long enough. Now though I prefer Sava MC-23, which I paid 50$ for and it already has been 3500km going and barely showing ware (tarmac stability after 160kph is limited).
I also tried the Heidenau K-60 on the rear, but I think it is as good as E-07 only 30$-40$ more expensive here in Latvia.

Hope that helped a little.

Latvian

JamesOn2Wheels 09-06-2011 08:37 PM

That's some good news

I had a set of mx tires in Austria, I forgot which ones, from Mitas and was pretty happy with them...rode them on pavement quite a bit as I lived in the country and there was only one part-time Gendarme in the area - they performed real well.

I think I'm gonna shoe my R100RT (slightly modified) with them...I'll need a slightly aggressive road tire or enduro tire for 80/20 but has to be good on the 20 as the bike is a bear to keep upright on anything soft or wet......and a set of MX style tires that will handle sand when I get to Kaz. but also not disappear on pavement running...any suggestions ?

Thanks

James

оо. 09-08-2011 07:31 AM

I have Mitas C-02 rear on my narrower rim. I has quite good grip on soft but it's not perfect on hard surfaces. Maybe because it's only 120 mm wide so it is a little bit too narrow even for SE rim.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:34 AM.