ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Layin' down tracks (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   $160 Garmin replaced my destroyed 276C with a new one. (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725079)

BigDogAdventures 09-13-2011 05:04 PM

$160 Garmin replaced my destroyed 276C with a new one.

I've read before about sending in old garmin gps's and for a designated fee they will either make it like new (fix it) or replace it with they call a "refurbished" unit.

Well----my first 276C--may have been the first one they sold---it has been thru hell.
I bought one at full price as soon as they came out.
It's been on big adventure bikes---and many a single track thumper on the nastiest colorado trails--the entire TAT, CDR, Mexico, Baja etc.

But this one was getting weary-----------screen started fading out---then a tree limb hit the screen and dislodged it and it filled full of water----I opened her up----dried it out---epoxied the screen back on and it worked perfect--but looked like hell.

So---I bought several more used ones just so I'd never run out of these.

This old one laid in the bottom of my toolbox for years. It would still work--but the screen was bad and I never used it.
I sold it to a friend for $50---he finished it off and broke the antennae clean off, smashed the screen in again and he gave it back to me---I just wanted the 512mb data card.

So----for shit's and giggles-------I send $170 (including shipping and handling) to Garmin and they send me what they call a refurbished one.

They lied to me----this thing has got to be brand new---and with a new battery---I love Garmin. :D:D:D:D:D
There is nary a scratch or mark on it of any kind.
I think I'll put it under glass---displayed on my coffee table for me to stare at-----with all the latest security devices hooked to it in the vacuum sealed enclosure.
17,000 volts will surge thru any unsuspecting thief who breaks the vacuum.
Then I'll hang em'

And if you ain't dead yet----My dog JoJo will finish you off---he's just waitin' for you to stick a hand thru the door.
He can hear a mouse fart at 100 yds.

http://www.bigdogadventures.com/imag...R/01-22-02.jpg

So---get'em while there hot--if you got an old one. I'll fee sorry for you poor souls with all of garmins new models.
People that have never owned one---- and know all it can do will never know what they are missing.
The "BigDog"

unlawfulsm 09-13-2011 05:29 PM

Good to know! I love my 478 and when it finally kicks the bucket Ill go your route. I hope that I can be as lucky as you:evil

Tirespin 09-13-2011 05:32 PM

I've got a dead 276 also, which I figured was really dead after my attempted fix. It sounds like I should be able to get in on this deal - do you have the info of where to send it and whatnot? A link to Garmin's site explaining how to do it?

Edit: Nevermind, found with help from Google. Easy-peasy: http://www8.garmin.com/support/outofwarranty.html

BigDogAdventures 09-13-2011 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tirespin (Post 16849547)
I've got a dead 276 also, which I figured was really dead after my attempted fix. It sounds like I should be able to get in on this deal - do you have the info of where to send it and whatnot? A link to Garmin's site explaining how to do it?

Edit: Nevermind, found with help from Google. Easy-peasy: http://www8.garmin.com/support/outofwarranty.html

I just called them------a few minutes on the phone and it was all set up.

waynegs 09-13-2011 08:28 PM

Did you send in the broken antenna and old battery? I've lost an antenna before on my 276c and would keep the one I have and the battery if they're just going to toss them.

BigDogAdventures 09-14-2011 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waynegs (Post 16851019)
Did you send in the broken antenna and old battery? I've lost an antenna before on my 276c and would keep the one I have and the battery if they're just going to toss them.

I sent everything---but most of the antennae was gone. I don't know how they would handle it if you sent no antennae.
I'm just guessing it wouldn't be a problem---just guessin'

Mark

dvwalker 09-14-2011 05:50 AM

mark, thanks for the morning chuckle...are you feeding guard dog JoJo raw meat? Or is JJ simply just pissed off from you being gone so long?

I've also had nothing but positive experience with Garmin's product support. Good to know that if your GPS life support gives out that for a small amount of beans you can simply exchange for almost "new"

muskieken 09-14-2011 07:31 AM

i have one with the north america driving maps on mine, when you get the refurbished unit, does it have the maps you paid for on it. will they they let you down load them or do you have to buy new maps.

EnderTheX 09-14-2011 12:12 PM

Great tip! Now I won't have to worry about ever buying another GPS :D I love my 276C and my first one is still going strong. :freaky

Fubars 09-14-2011 12:51 PM

I'm glad they still service these units. They don't work on the 60 series anymore.

waynegs 09-14-2011 01:17 PM

I just got an RMA number for my 276c, it's working but getting pretty ratty, dim display 'cuz it's an early one etc. $173 including tax in Texas.

Regarding the maps, if you've got a subscription, there's a way to get new unlock codes for those you've already paid for. I've never done it, but I saw a post recently with a link to a garmin web page where you sort it out. My unit has very old maps that I've updated once. I'm currently using some Texas Topo free maps that are pretty good, and an unlocked set of CN maps that I paid for on a Nuvi subscription, so I may not bother with the new unlock codes via Garmin.

I have to say, Garmin's a good company to deal with overall. Yep, their Montana firmware was released with a lot of bugs, but the list is subsiding and I'm sure it will be in very good shape in a month or two.

BigDogAdventures 09-14-2011 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muskieken (Post 16853195)
i have one with the north america driving maps on mine, when you get the refurbished unit, does it have the maps you paid for on it. will they they let you down load them or do you have to buy new maps.

I wasn't concerned at all about maps----- I have figured around all their unlock codes------which I won't discuss on here or PM's------so don't ask.
I have several 276's ---and just thought it was fair that I could load my paid for maps in all of my units, without paying for an unlock code for each unit---and I succeeded in doing that. I don't feel that is cheating garmin.

Waynegs is right
It was my understanding they will register your new unit in place of the old so your unlocks should work-----but I didn't try this as I didn't need to.

After getting my new unit----I went to garmins site to view my registered units----my old one was gone--and the new one with another serial number was already there.

The new unit will arrive with nothing in it--------no maps--no waypoints--no tracklogs--no saved routes---no data card (they didn't come with one new anyway)---it is your responsibility to have saved this stuff to reload.

Mark

eakins 09-14-2011 03:30 PM

some people need to go fast and take a jet
while others are slow like a mouse
but in the end don't get locked out so bring your key
because if you have have no lights fire up the generator

si?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com (Post 16856486)
I wasn't concerned at all about maps----- I have figured around all their unlock codes------which I won't discuss on here or PM's------so don't ask.
I have several 276's ---and just thought it was fair that I could load my paid for maps in all of my units, without paying for an unlock code for each unit---and I succeeded in doing that. I don't feel that is cheating garmin.

Waynegs is right
It was my understanding they will register your new unit in place of the old so your unlocks should work-----but I didn't try this as I didn't need to.

After getting my new unit----I went to garmins site to view my registered units----my old one was gone--and the new one with another serial number was already there.

The new unit will arrive with nothing in it--------no maps--no waypoints--no tracklogs--no saved routes---no data card (they didn't come with one new anyway)---it is your responsibility to have saved this stuff to reload.

Mark

Emmbeedee 09-14-2011 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eakins (Post 16856629)
some people need to go fast and take a jet
while others are slow like a mouse
but in the end don't get locked out so bring your key
because if you have have no lights fire up the generator

si?

Nudge nudge wink wink

Say no more!

waynegs 09-24-2011 10:09 PM

Got my refurb 276c

My exchange arrived and it's essentially a brand new GPS. I kept the antenna and battery when I sent it in and now they're spares. The display is MUCH brighter than my original unit (which was probably one of the first off the manufacturing line based on the serial #). I'm thrilled.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:16 PM.