ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Layin' down tracks (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Garmin software on Apple Mac????? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74227)

TerryM 04-01-2005 01:26 AM

Garmin software on Apple Mac?????

Does anyone know if and how the software maybe run on Mac please?

Slimie 04-01-2005 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TerryM

Virtual PC, AFAIK.

Gizmo 04-01-2005 03:54 AM

Don't even go there, I just tried this using Virtual PC and it works up until you try to connect the GPS and transfer maps. It will not recognize the GPS. When I called Garmin they said their units are not designed to work with Mac's even with Virtual PC on board. I did some investigating and it seems the problem is that Mac's use USB for the mouse and keyboard and this creates a conflict. I ended up using an old PC laptop I had to make use of the software and my GPS, just hope it keeps working. This is a sad story with Garmin and really has my feathers ruffled. Sorry I cannot be more optimistic.

RocketJohn 04-01-2005 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Don't even go there, I just tried this using Virtual PC and it works up until you try to connect the GPS and transfer maps. It will not recognize the GPS. When I called Garmin they said their units are not designed to work with Mac's even with Virtual PC on board. I did some investigating and it seems the problem is that Mac's use USB for the mouse and keyboard and this creates a conflict. I ended up using an old PC laptop I had to make use of the software and my GPS, just hope it keeps working. This is a sad story with Garmin and really has my feathers ruffled. Sorry I cannot be more optimistic.

I thought people that used Apples drove VWs and rode bicycles...

:scratch

Tim 04-01-2005 07:32 AM

Although I have seen reports from someone on AdvRider that he was able to use Virtual PC with his Garmin, I tried and failed :cry Had to go out and get a used PC just for Garmin work.

TerryM 04-01-2005 08:38 AM

Thank you all, that will save me some heartache failing to make it work.

Perhaps I will install the PC in my VW camper and the GPSMap 276C on my bicycle then dream about getting a motorcycle when my hormone levels improve!

Danamr 04-01-2005 09:24 AM

All that has been said is true, trying to run mapping software on VPC is painfully slow, and if the GPS is a serial connection forget it. OTOH if the GPS is one of the newer units that are true USB you can make that work.

fire_strom 04-01-2005 09:27 AM

i married a PC user so i do my mapping on on her laptop. :evil

scott

sakurama 04-01-2005 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fire_strom
i married a PC user so i do my mapping on on her laptop. :evil

Boy that was an expensive solution but I admire your dedication. I'm buying a laptop on ebay now just for this reason. No Mac support, 256 proprietary cards that I'll have to get 3-4 of, then the Touratech mount then, finally, I'll have access to 4-5 year old out of date information.

Remind me why again?

I wish the TomTom Rider was out or the Lowrance iway 500c had batteries. There's no good solution is there? Does your wife have a sister with a laptop? :evil

G

bigmizzle 04-01-2005 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RocketJohn
I thought people that used Apples drove VWs and rode bicycles...

:scratch

and sometimes they RIDE BMW'S and sometimes they ride bicycles

are you trying to stereotype someone?:puke1

Crossmojonation 04-01-2005 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TerryM

Actually you might not be in as big a hole as you think.
Check out this thread and you may find some helpful info. Using GPS and Mac

sakurama 04-01-2005 05:45 PM

GPSCity has a petition page that you should take some time to sign just to help put the pressure on the manufacturers.

That and you should email Garmin: mobile@garmin.com

It can only help...

Bayou Boy 04-01-2005 07:17 PM

I just used my G4 Powerbook with VirtualPC everyday on an 8 day trip to reload maps to my GPS V with a serial/USB connector. Took like 40 minutes to upload but worked like a champ. If you don't have 40 minutes every night while eating or drinking beer or something, your trip is way to tight on time.

sakurama 04-02-2005 05:02 AM

The issue is USB only GPS units which can't upload maps through VPC. Units that are serial can use a serial to USB and suffer VPC but USB only can't - I've tried. Garmins protocol for USB is too messed up.

Gizmo 04-02-2005 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bayou Boy
I just used my G4 Powerbook with VirtualPC everyday on an 8 day trip to reload maps to my GPS V with a serial/USB connector. Took like 40 minutes to upload but worked like a champ. If you don't have 40 minutes every night while eating or drinking beer or something, your trip is way to tight on time.

How did you do this, I do not care about the time I would just like to ba able to do it? The computer (Virtual PC) nor Map Source recognizes my Garmin 276C.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:30 PM.