ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Any BJJ'ers here? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=744643)

woolsocks 11-26-2011 12:03 PM

Any BJJ'ers here?

A few of the guys at my gym ride motorcycles, so how many of you train Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu?

I've been training for 4.5 years now. I'm a purple belt at Alliance Jiu-Jitsu here in Minnesota. My upcoming goals are to compete in the IBJJF Chicago Open in March 2012 and the IBJJF Pan Ams in March 2012 as well. Other than that, I want to keep competing, keep training to be as good as I possibly can and keep assisting with teaching. I would love to take a motorcycle trip around the world and travel to as many gyms as possible to train--wouldn't that be an awesome and unique trip?

So, any other BJJ'ers here? :ear

petefromberkeley 11-26-2011 03:07 PM

Most certainly not.

ballistic_ken 11-26-2011 04:47 PM

Sounds dirty:eek1

Tellydoug 11-26-2011 07:05 PM

BBBJ? What?

PunkinHead 11-26-2011 07:29 PM

How do you wash the taste out of your mouth after one of these training sessions?

Sabre 11-26-2011 08:52 PM

That second J makes all the difference, doesn't it?

peterman 11-27-2011 07:39 PM

bj or not,,I'll kick yer ass in a fair fight!:1drink :rofl

and,,there ain't no such thing as a fair fight.:deal

is this like,,sorry we had a fight sweety,,then, make-up sex?

Skowinski 11-27-2011 07:45 PM

Not going so well eh? :lol3 Might work better in the Sports forum, or whatever it's called. But, yeah, I like a little BJJ. Don't mind leaving off the second J either... still like it.

anonny 11-27-2011 08:06 PM

This was clearly no time to abbreviate. :D

woolsocks 11-28-2011 09:34 AM

Please move to sports forum

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonny (Post 17395496)
This was clearly no time to abbreviate. :D

Clearly haha...I'll try the sports forum :lol3

sloMark 11-28-2011 08:56 PM

Yes, I do. But its a whole different ball game when you throw some striking into the mix, try that. Use the little 4 ounce MMA gloves. I train this way for work, its just a little more realistic for me.

Skowinski 11-28-2011 09:05 PM

Ah, it was moved. Here's our special place to play.

http://i819.photobucket.com/albums/z...ki/JJClass.jpg

woolsocks 11-28-2011 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sloMark (Post 17402556)
Yes, I do. But its a whole different ball game when you throw some striking into the mix, try that. Use the little 4 ounce MMA gloves. I train this way for work, its just a little more realistic for me.

Indeed! I've tried it many times and I've done some striking for 6 months as well. I much prefer watching and training straight BJJ, wrestling, Judo and sub grappling though. I do appreciate a good striking match as well though. I find when I train mixed that I use my BJJ to defend the strikes and then take down and work for subs. It's fun and shows you how to defend yourself against strikes. As a matter of fact, I have been jumped twice now. BOTH times I got away safely and relatively uninjured!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skowinski (Post 17402600)
Ah, it was moved. Here's our special place.

Cool! Are you in this pic? How long you been training?

Skowinski 11-29-2011 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woolsocks (Post 17402643)
Indeed! I've tried it many times and I've done some striking for 6 months as well. I much prefer watching and training straight BJJ, wrestling, Judo and sub grappling though. I do appreciate a good striking match as well though. I find when I train mixed that I use my BJJ to defend the strikes and then take down and work for subs. It's fun and shows you how to defend yourself against strikes. As a matter of fact, I have been jumped twice now. BOTH times I got away safely and relatively uninjured!

Cool! Are you in this pic? How long you been training?

Nope. I took the picture. I wrestled in high school for 3 years, a long long long time ago. After something like 25 years I started Judo. Did that for about 2 years, then switched to jiu jitsu. Been at that for about 5 years, but was out for about 2 with injuries (damn motorbikes!).

I'm just a lowly blue belt, slowly collecting stripes. Don't know if I'll ever make purple, and really don't care. I'm an older guy, 54 now, and really, I'm just in it for fun. Fantastic exercise too!

It's a family thing here too. Mrs. Skowinski trains jiu jitsu, she is a white belt currently. But, before I met her she pushed herself to black belt in judo, and competed in the nationals once.

woolsocks 11-29-2011 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skowinski (Post 17404105)
Nope. I took the picture. I wrestled in high school for 3 years, a long long long time ago. After something like 25 years I started Judo. Did that for about 2 years, then switched to jiu jitsu. Been at that for about 5 years, but was out for about 2 with injuries (damn motorbikes!).

I'm just a lowly blue belt, slowly collecting stripes. Don't know if I'll ever make purple, and really don't care. I'm an older guy, 54 now, and really, I'm just in it for fun. Fantastic exercise too!

It's a family thing here too. Mrs. Skowinski trains jiu jitsu, she is a white belt currently. But, before I met her she pushed herself to black belt in judo, and competed in the nationals once.

Sweet! I wish my gf had an interest in martial arts.I agree with you, I am a true believer that the number one reason for doing BJJ is the fun. It's the journey that makes it all worth it. Once I stopped worrying about the belts and improving, I started getting much better. I compete often, but I do it because it's fun for me. I enjoy the hard training and testing myself. If your heart is in it, just keep training and having fun and the belts will come!

Btw, the oldest guy at our gym is 68 years old. He holds a black belt in Karate and is in the TKD and Karate Hall of Fame. He's been training BJJ now for 5 years and is a purple belt. It's always great fun how BJJ brings so many people together :clap I'm 22 and train with men, women and children from all walks of life (I assist in teaching the kids classes. I love those little guys. They're so smart, curious and ready to learn!).

If you're ever in the Minneapolis area feel free to stop by!

Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:43 AM.