ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Trip Planning (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Carrying Deodorant (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=745592)

Jamie Z 11-30-2011 04:32 AM

Carrying Deodorant

Since we're going through a cold snap, I have a question about warm-weather travel.

What, if any, deodorant do y'all carry on your bike during a long trip? I've tried the various sample-sized deodorant packages you find at the pharmacy, but have had problems with them melting when the temps are in the 80s and 90s.

I've looked for small cans of spray-on deodorant without luck.

I like my gear to be small and light, but I can't find a good alternative to the big stick of deodorant in my bathroom.

Jamie

Grinnin 11-30-2011 11:32 AM

I use a mineral-salt "rock" at home and take a year-old "rock" when I travel. The one I carry is about the size and shape of half a golf ball.

I find these rocks (some call them crystals) work for me. They irritate some people's skin and for other people they are not strong enough. By wetting the thing I can get enough salt on my skin to keep the odor-causing bacteria at bay.

EDIT: A new "rock" is a bit bigger than a golf ball. It's easier to hold, since it's used wet. For me a new one lasts just over a year for about $10 or $12.

freeflow 11-30-2011 11:41 AM

gel sticks seem to hold up to heat for me...even he sample sizes. don;t last as long, but don;t melt either.

Montek 12-01-2011 04:47 PM

rocks/crystals

Plus one on the rocks and crystals. All I use. They do not melt, I purchased a small travel size 2 years ago, its still in my kit, only about half used up.

Monte

acejones 12-01-2011 07:49 PM

Jamie,
I'msouth of you on the coast. I've never had any problems with gel sticks melting. Maybe it's a brand specific problem.

Mark Manley 12-01-2011 11:02 PM

What's deodorant? :eek1

freeflow 12-02-2011 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Manley (Post 17426022)
What's deodorant? :eek1

ask a dentist :lol3

The Bigfella 12-02-2011 10:27 PM

Deodorant? On a bike trip? Nah

Lone Rider 12-03-2011 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acejones (Post 17425165)
Jamie,
I'msouth of you on the coast. I've never had any problems with gel sticks melting. Maybe it's a brand specific problem.

If put on the dash of a vehicle, left in the sunlight for a long time...yeah.

Stick it down in your bag/clothing/whatever. I've experienced deo melting in the past. Just stick it inside a sock, or use some other type of insutaltion. The cheap Speed Stick (original boring green) deo, not the anti pers, has always worked best for me.

Big, regular sticks of the above, no sample sizes...:D

AviatorTroy 12-03-2011 05:33 PM

Hysterical! I knew this topic would go downhill fast! :rofl

snohobo 12-04-2011 07:41 AM

Another one for the hippy rock. Travel size $3

Though Ive basically stopped using it. No sense in masking the inevitable.

http://cdn.nexternal.com/crystaldeo/...-low%20res.jpg

BMW Kurt 12-04-2011 02:41 PM

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...S_2auIkcS2OhCg

Jamie Z 12-06-2011 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grinnin (Post 17413346)
I use a mineral-salt "rock" at home and take a year-old "rock" when I travel. The one I carry is about the size and shape of half a golf ball.

I find these rocks (some call them crystals) work for me. They irritate some people's skin and for other people they are not strong enough. By wetting the thing I can get enough salt on my skin to keep the odor-causing bacteria at bay.

I don't have a clue what this is, but thanks for the heads up. I might look into it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by freeflow (Post 17413434)
gel sticks seem to hold up to heat for me...even he sample sizes. don;t last as long, but don;t melt either.

I differentiate between "stick" deodorant and "gel" deodorant. I generally use the stick variety at home. That's what I've tried to carry on the road, but they tend to melt. I never thought about using gel, as I'm not a fan of that cold gooey feeling when I put it on, but it probably solves the issue with melting.
Quote:

Originally Posted by acejones (Post 17425165)
Jamie,

As above, perhaps gel is the way to go. This past summer I took a couple of trips with 100F temps and found my deodorant stick had melted inside the packagine, rendering it pretty useless. It might be related to brand, as I only tried one brand, though I can't remember brand that was now.

Jamie

Jamie Z 12-06-2011 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bigfella (Post 17433501)
Deodorant? On a bike trip? Nah

I went that route for a while... but after camping out for a few days I get a little self-conscious about being around people when I can smell my own bad body odor.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lone Rider (Post 17438366)
If put on the dash of a vehicle, left in the sunlight for a long time...yeah.

Stick it down in your bag/clothing/whatever. I've experienced deo melting in the past. Just stick it inside a sock, or use some other type of insutaltion. The cheap Speed Stick (original boring green) deo, not the anti pers, has always worked best for me.

Big, regular sticks of the above, no sample sizes...:D

I might try a different brand, though I can't imagine what difference it would make to use the smaller sample size. It's a space-saving measure. I keep a pretty small toiletry bag which is already generally stored outside of any direct sun or heat. It's just that sitting in my luggage all day in 90F and 100F temps, insulation isn't going to do much to help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AviatorTroy (Post 17438479)
Hysterical! I knew this topic would go downhill fast! :rofl

:dunno Seems pretty helpful to me. Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

And I realize that discussing pros and cons of deodorant is a first-world problem. I recognize the triviality of which deodorant to use.

Jamie

eakins 12-06-2011 07:21 PM

embrace your inner hippy, dude.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:31 AM.