ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Garage (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Concrete counter tops (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754383)

Skinner 01-07-2012 05:26 AM

Concrete counter tops

I am building my own counter tops from concrete, I have the floors reinforced so you don't have to warn me etc, etc.

My problem is after I remove the sides of my form ' the size is 7 x 5 by two inches thick' so it can not be precast, the top edge will be crisp, any suggestions on how to smooth it out, a sidewalk finishing trowel with the round over effect will not work as that will an edge on the sides after complete.

So, outside of trying to accomplish this while wet, and not feeling good about trying to do it free hand with a grinder as I feel this will leave a rough uneven edge, anyone have any suggestions on how to round over the crisp edge that will be left removing the form?

The sides are easy, I know to vibrate the form etc, just researching the options for smoothing the top/side transition. I have poured three small practice pieces and even tried my router while the concrete was green, but that was a big fail :rofl: . I might try sandpaper and a belt sander, but an angle grinder and free hand has too much risk of a screwup.

Got any ideas for me?

KeithinSC 01-07-2012 05:52 AM

What about profiling the form prior to pouring? You mentioned a router, if it is still functioning:lol3 maybe you can shape some wood to the edge you need and tack them onto the form. Wax or oil the forms for an easy release.
Good luck, post up some pics of the successes (or failures?!)

Skinner 01-07-2012 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeithinSC (Post 17686429)
What about profiling the form prior to pouring? You mentioned a router, if it is still functioning:lol3 maybe you can shape some wood to the edge you need and tack them onto the form. Wax or oil the forms for an easy release.
Good luck, post up some pics of the successes (or failures?!)

On my sample pour I did put an angle piece that will provide a 45 degree edge whe removed, so we will see ow that works.

I'll take lots of pics

JamesG 01-07-2012 06:39 AM

Why a bare concrete? You could tile it and use bull nose edge tile to round the corners as part of the finish. It will both last longer and look better/finished.

Skinner 01-07-2012 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesG (Post 17686652)
Why a bare concrete? You could tile it and use bull nose edge tile to round the corners as part of the finish. It will both last longer and look better/finished.

Then why bother with concrete at all?

I could tile anything.

The concrete counter will be oh so cool!

Skinner 01-07-2012 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tirebiter;,
[COLOR=palegreen
The problem with using them on concrete tops is the more material you take off, the more aggregate gets exposed.[/COLOR]
If you can get your hands on silicon carbide sand paper, that works too.

Here's an example of hand pads. Keep'm wet, they'll wear out real quick if used dry.
http://www.contractorsdirect.com/Con...mond-Hand-Pads

Good tip thanks!
I just checked out the site you linked to, that looks like the ticket for my edges, using the hand pads will be perfect! And 4" grinder pads are the cheapest I've seen! $9.99 each!

Dave in Wi 01-07-2012 07:22 AM

Subscribed. I'm very curious to see how this turns out. I remember seeing a This Old House episode where they hired someone to make concrete countertops, as I remember it seemed more complicated than you'd think. Take lots of pics!

Strong Bad 01-07-2012 08:21 AM

What about making a trowel with the desired radius?

JamesG 01-07-2012 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skinner (Post 17686716)
The concrete counter will be oh so cool!

I guess if you like the taste of concrete...

GH41 01-07-2012 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skinner (Post 17686311)
I am building my own counter tops from concrete, I have the floors reinforced so you don't have to warn me etc, etc.

My problem is after I remove the sides of my form ' the size is 7 x 5 by two inches thick' so it can not be precast, the top edge will be crisp, any suggestions on how to smooth it out, a sidewalk finishing trowel with the round over effect will not work as that will an edge on the sides after complete.

So, outside of trying to accomplish this while wet, and not feeling good about trying to do it free hand with a grinder as I feel this will leave a rough uneven edge, anyone have any suggestions on how to round over the crisp edge that will be left removing the form?

The sides are easy, I know to vibrate the form etc, just researching the options for smoothing the top/side transition. I have poured three small practice pieces and even tried my router while the concrete was green, but that was a big fail :rofl: . I might try sandpaper and a belt sander, but an angle grinder and free hand has too much risk of a screwup.

Got any ideas for me?

Concrete bricks or pavers will work well for breaking the edges and they are cheap. I assume you are not using an agregate? Are you using fiber or wire mesh?? At 2" thick it WILL crack without reinforcement. What are you sealing it with? GH

ragtoplvr 01-07-2012 09:17 AM

You can go to a cooking equipment store and buy huge polypropylene cutting boards pretty cheap. Profile edge with router. cut off strip. Repeat. Tack into mold. Pour. Vibrate. cure and touch up with sandpaper. This keeps the aggregate away from the edge

Rod

STANIMAL 01-07-2012 09:39 AM

Why not just go with granite ?

Skinner 01-07-2012 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STANIMAL (Post 17687950)
Why not just go with granite ?

Why not just go with laminate.

I will be sealing it with Procrete products

Procrete radiance will be the finish surface

Will be reinforced with 1/2 inch rebar 12 inches spaced, ad an under surface of half inch plywood

Skinner 01-07-2012 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr (Post 17687764)
You can go to a cooking equipment store and buy huge polypropylene cutting boards pretty cheap. Profile edge with router. cut off strip. Repeat. Tack into mold. Pour. Vibrate. cure and touch up with sandpaper. This keeps the aggregate away from the edge

Rod

Nice tip, thanks

P B G 01-07-2012 09:58 AM

Do a search, they look good.

http://www.google.com/search?q=concr...=1920&bih=1073

I've seen many DIY concrete counter tops, reinforce your slab, make sure its all level, and for the corners, you can grind them or you can precontour. You can also use caulk in the corners to make them smoother so long as it sets up fully.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:04 PM.