ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Old's Cool (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Help to ID a Vintage Dirtbike gas tank Please! (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=756648)

wirewrkr 01-15-2012 02:44 PM

Help to ID a Vintage Dirtbike gas tank Please!
 
1 Attachment(s)
Anyone recognize that American made Vintage Gas Tank from a Suzuki Dr500?

wirewrkr 01-15-2012 02:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I thought it might be from Craig Vetter, but Craig looked at the pics and he said no, and he didn't recognize the logo.
I've seen it before but cannot place it.
It's American made, I assume because it has sae thread inserts

FR700 01-15-2012 02:51 PM

Don Vesco .



.

ilvecchio 01-15-2012 02:57 PM

Agree with FR700. It looks like a Don Vesco tank. One version was called a "skinny fat tank" because it was thin by the seat and wider in front. I had a version on the first Honda XL250 around 1972 or 3.

wirewrkr 01-15-2012 04:30 PM

THAT"S why I recognized the logo!
I used to have one of the late Don Vescos Rabid Transit fairings.
Dohhh!
Thanks guys, mystery solved.
took it off of a Suzuki DR 500 of 81 vintage.

FR700 01-15-2012 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wirewrkr
Anyone recognize that American made Vintage Gas Tank

I laughed when I read the "vintage" bit as I bought several new ones for various dirt bikes in the mid to late seventies . To me it was , like , um , yesterday man :D .
Quality tanks , so if you don't need the cash I would suggest holding onto it . The Heinreich (sp) of dirt bikes from back in the day .



Quote:

Originally Posted by wirewrkr (Post 17759526)
Dohhh!
Thanks guys, mystery solved.



.

rightone1974 09-28-2012 09:57 PM

Could you all help me identify these fuel tanks please
 
I cannot figure out what these tanks got to please help me out. the inside of the gas tank is really clean I would hate to toss this tank knowing it could go to something rare

<a href="http://s110.photobucket.com/albums/n112/psycho1_03/?action=view&amp;current=100_1667.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n112/psycho1_03/100_1667.jpg" border="0" alt="not sure what it goes to"></a>

<a href="http://s110.photobucket.com/albums/n112/psycho1_03/?action=view&amp;current=100_1666.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n112/psycho1_03/100_1666.jpg" border="0" alt="not sure what it goes to"></a>

<a href="http://s110.photobucket.com/albums/n112/psycho1_03/?action=view&amp;current=100_1678.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n112/psycho1_03/100_1678.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>

<a href="http://s110.photobucket.com/albums/n112/psycho1_03/?action=view&amp;current=100_1679.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n112/psycho1_03/100_1679.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>

FR700 09-28-2012 10:10 PM

Can't see enough of the chrome one in the back. At a guess , early jap ... honda , bridgestone etc.


Silver tank.
Early honda SL 100

http://s1.aecdn.com/images/moto_gall...100-2013_1.jpg


the blue one in the last pic will be from a model close to this

http://www.marblesmotors.com/images/...205/251600.jpg

rightone1974 09-28-2012 10:35 PM

gas tanks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by FR700 (Post 19704943)
Can't see enough of the chrome one in the back. At a guess , early jap ... honda , bridgestone etc.



Silver tank.
Early honda SL 100

http://s1.aecdn.com/images/moto_gall...100-2013_1.jpg


the blue one in the last pic will be from a model close to this

http://www.marblesmotors.com/images/...205/251600.jpg

the chrome one is to a 1963 Yamaha YG1 bike thanks a lot i really appreciate it what would that tank be worth?(blue one) and what would you say the value on the yg1 tank would be it is decent condition not bad to restore only one little ding in itthe green one is like new inside of it

FR700 09-28-2012 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rightone1974 (Post 19705009)
thanks a lot i really appreciate it what would that tank be worth?(blue one) and what would you say the value on the yg1 tank would be it is decent condition not bad to restore only one little ding in itthe green one is like new inside of it


You selling or buying ?

What it's worth will depend on if someone is looking for one and what they are willing to pay to get the bike back to 100% stock ...

They both need major paint and panel ( can't see any emblems either or a tap for the blue one ) ... so factor that in.

.

rightone1974 09-29-2012 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FR700 (Post 19705055)
You selling or buying ?

What it's worth will depend on if someone is looking for one and what they are willing to pay to get the bike back to 100% stock ...

They both need major paint and panel ( can't see any emblems either or a tap for the blue one ) ... so factor that in.

.

I plan on selling them i have no use for them i have to get the gas cap off the blue one to see the condition of the inside of that tank, but the green one is great condition inside i think i will sand it down and prep it for paint then sell it in primer color to be ready for who buys it to taint it what ever color or paint it to order. Thanks for the info guys

FR700 09-29-2012 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rightone1974 (Post 19706548)
I plan on selling them i have no use for them i have to get the gas cap off the blue one to see the condition of the inside of that tank, but the green one is great condition inside i think i will sand it down and prep it for paint then sell it in primer color to be ready for who buys it to taint it what ever color or paint it to order. Thanks for the info guys



What are you doing about the panel damage ?

What type of primer ?

The primer alone will cost you more than what the tank is worth.

The tank/s are worth more 'as is' :deal ... five bucks for all three ... and that's if I wanted them.



.

crazydrummerdude 09-29-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rightone1974 (Post 19704896)
I cannot figure out what these tanks got to please help me out. the inside of the gas tank is really clean I would hate to toss this tank knowing it could go to something rare

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n...3/100_1666.jpg

So, you just "toss" gas tanks? :huh

Also, doesn't it practically say HONDA right there?!

dpforth 10-01-2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rightone1974 (Post 19704896)
I cannot figure out what these tanks got to please help me out. the inside of the gas tank is really clean I would hate to toss this tank knowing it could go to something rare

<a href="http://s110.photobucket.com/albums/n112/psycho1_03/?action=view&amp;current=100_1667.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n112/psycho1_03/100_1667.jpg" border="0" alt="not sure what it goes to"></a>

I'd bet that this is SL350. It's not SL100, that one is much narrower, has a seam down the top centre and no flip cap.


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014