ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Orange Crush (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   adventure headlight dual 4" HID light swap (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=757704)

LAYNFRM 01-19-2012 09:51 PM

adventure headlight dual 4" HID light swap

anyone swapped a couple 4" (or larger for bottom light) HIDs in their factory headlight housing? i've got a couple WARN 4" HIDs they gave us through desert racing sponsorship, and i'm really thinking about keeping the factory headlight housing, but modifying the inside via holesaw to house two lights. might consider a projector headlight from a car up top as the low beam, and the WARN light for the high beam. i don't like the look of the rallye style fairings with two little projectors, so that idea is out. i need to measure when i get home from the firehouse to see if i can fit anything larger in there, and if the WARN light is too thick. i'm wanting to keep it fairly factory looking. i already have some auxilliary lights with the triple mount from our fellow ADVer, and plan to swap some LED bars onto it from my other sponsor, Black Knight Lighting.

basically, it'd be setup similar to the trailtech X2, but behind the factory headlight cover and windshield. the brighter, the better!

and yes, i've searched, but didn't see anything i liked, and touratech is too expensive, especially since i already have/can easily (cheaply) obtain most of the lights anyways.

Qwik 01-19-2012 10:29 PM

Single HID light in the lower would work but two probably wont be very good. Too much heat will peel the inside of the reflector

slackmeyer 01-19-2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LAYNFRM (Post 17787932)
anyone swapped a couple 4" (or larger for bottom light) HIDs in their factory headlight housing? i've got a couple WARN 4" HIDs they gave us through desert racing sponsorship, and i'm really thinking about keeping the factory headlight housing, but modifying the inside via holesaw to house two lights. might consider a projector headlight from a car up top as the low beam, and the WARN light for the high beam. i don't like the look of the rallye style fairings with two little projectors, so that idea is out. i need to measure when i get home from the firehouse to see if i can fit anything larger in there, and if the WARN light is too thick. i'm wanting to keep it fairly factory looking. i already have some auxilliary lights with the triple mount from our fellow ADVer, and plan to swap some LED bars onto it from my other sponsor, Black Knight Lighting.

basically, it'd be setup similar to the trailtech X2, but behind the factory headlight cover and windshield. the brighter, the better!

and yes, i've searched, but didn't see anything i liked, and touratech is too expensive, especially since i already have/can easily (cheaply) obtain most of the lights anyways.

I've been thinking about it, and I even have an extra headlight housing to play with, but I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet. Seems like the best way would be to get a good projector headlight with the cutoff mask included, and fit it into the lower headlight area, leaving the upper parking light alone. Check out theretrofitsource.com. They sell a 1 light kit for bikes, looks like the projector is 3-4" diameter including the mounting plate. $150 for one light, including the HID bulb and ballast. . . . pretty good deal for good light, but I'm a cheap bastard, so I haven't done it yet.

Stephen 01-20-2012 05:47 AM

Someone on here cut the back off the stock housing and mounted two Hella 90mm projectors in there. Complete lights, not just bulbs in the stock reflectors. Seemed a great approach to me.

I can just almost remember who did it. Dang it. There were photos and everything.

Seth S 01-20-2012 07:34 AM

When I put the Euro light in my old 04 950 I cut the clear cover off of the stock light and I still have it sitting on the work bench. Plan was to fit something else in behind it. I don't have the bike any more but now I would consider installing either two LED's or an LED/HID combo. HID low beam LED high beam. Low beam stays on all the time, LED high beam would be instant on and off...no need to wait for the ballast to fully energize the light.

Consider a Baja Designs 4" Fuego HID in pod light form with a Fog pattern for your low beam and run a Rigid industries 2x3 LED for high beam.

Chuckracer 01-20-2012 08:19 AM

Wasn't Boatman going to do something like this with a couple of Hella light modules?

lowes48 01-20-2012 06:42 PM

I'm interested in this approach myself. I was hoping there was a fairly simple mod that could be done with the stock US housing vs. buying the Euro housing then upgrading it with HIDs. Looking forward to seeing some ideas!

LAYNFRM 01-21-2012 08:39 PM

I think my warn 4" might be too deep to mount properly as the top light, so I might pull the fairings and check it it one day soon. The bottom, I'm thinking maybe a Black Knight Lighting 4" LED bar, their 5 LED light, or maybe even a RIGID D2 to compliment the RIGID 6" bar I'm thinking would go nice directly under the headlight where the little screen area is if I can figure a mount out.

ironworks 01-21-2012 09:04 PM

I was thinking about using the 5.75" JW speaker LEDS. We have installed them in quite a few cars with great success and they only draw 2 amps.

Sporting Wood 01-22-2012 03:24 AM

I found that having HID low beam, while brighter at night, tended to become annoying in that sometimes the ballast would take a crap when I started up the bike. Solution was to add the euro switch giving the ability to off on but that only worked at night when I could see that the low was off. Ended up just swapping back to an incandescent for low beam keeping the HID high projector.

Seth S 01-23-2012 04:28 AM

I pulled out my old 950 headlight that I cut down to the clear plastic. A 2x2 rigid LED fits nicely in the top and I suspect a 2x3 would fit nicely in the bottom. The rigid lights are shorter than the stock headlight housing so you could make brackets and mount them in place of the stock headlight unit while retaing the stock plastic so that the headlight wouldnt look too odd at first glance. between the two lights you would draw about 30 watts iirc. Same light spectrum as the HID, probably not quite the same distance but also a fraction of the cost of a good HID, no ballast issues, instant on, no bulbs to burn out (Yes HID bulbs can go bad). etc etc.

MrSandman818 01-23-2012 03:07 PM

They have 70 and 100watt hid ballast and bulbs out now. Go big or go home! Im going home because I'm only running a 55watt HID bulb/ballast for my low beam and a 27watt halogen for my highbeam. I know, I suck.

I do rock the 4" amber spot light setup from Rigid Industries on my crash bars. There awesome in bad weather and traffic:evil

LAYNFRM 01-23-2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSandman818 (Post 17815712)
They have 70 and 100watt hid ballast and bulbs out now. Go big or go home! Im going home because I'm only running a 55watt HID bulb/ballast for my low beam and a 27watt halogen for my highbeam. I know, I suck.

I do rock the 4" amber spot light setup from Rigid Industries on my crash bars. There awesome in bad weather and traffic:evil

That's what I have a light sponsor for. I've got a pair of KC 8" HIDs that are 70 watts each. They did GREAT in Baja! If one would fit in the headlight housing, it'd be on there already. If I could fit my 42" clear or 22" amber LED bars on the KTM, I'd gladly do it! Lol.

MrSandman818 01-23-2012 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LAYNFRM (Post 17816850)
That's what I have a light sponsor for. I've got a pair of KC 8" HIDs that are 70 watts each. They did GREAT in Baja! If one would fit in the headlight housing, it'd be on there already. If I could fit my 42" clear or 22" amber LED bars on the KTM, I'd gladly do it! Lol.

Can I be your friend with sponser benifits:wink:. Those KC HID's are just what the doctor ordered for me soon to be ranch hand bumper on my Derdge.

Seth S 01-23-2012 09:10 PM

there is no such thing as enough light. we run 4 hella 4000's on the rally car and it works....but at 95 mphdown a tree lined road you wish for more.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:53 PM.