ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Battle scooters (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Touring Box ideas for LONG Vespa Ride this Summer (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=759827)

rajavw 01-27-2012 08:44 PM

Touring Box ideas for LONG Vespa Ride this Summer
 
1 Attachment(s)
A long distance ride is in the works, hopefully this summer. Any ideas for a sturdy large rear box and front box would be appreciated.

I'm wondering if anyone has put a 24 Gallon Action Packer on the back of their bike as yet?

It may be necessary to install a much larger rear rack.


rajavw

damasovi 01-27-2012 09:40 PM

an idea.
 
I have an idea for your rear rack:

put one of this:
http://www.happy-trail.com/images/9/...op-Plate.m.JPG

then one of this:
http://www.happy-trail.com/images/1.25/HTB_m.jpg

and you have the back cover. how much crap do you want to bring? remember that is a 58 L top box from HT http://www.happy-trail.com/Luggage/A...-58-Liter.aspx there are other options, but you get the point, for the front it will be nice to have something just to balance the weight but do not block your head light!!!

Or you could just built of have somebody to built you some stuff for your liking.

Damasovi

vortexau 01-27-2012 09:53 PM

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/bl...ler-colors.jpg

Quote:

Gotta dream boy
Gotta song
Paint your Inder
And come along

Where am I goin'?
I don't know
Where am I headin'?
I ain't certain
All I know
Is I am on my way

When will I be there?
I don't know
When will I get there?
I ain't certain
All that I know
Is I am on my way

Gotta dream boy
Gotta song
Paint your Inder
And Tow it along
http://i55.tinypic.com/2em3h3l.jpg

fullmetalscooter 01-27-2012 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vortexau (Post 17851749)

Enfield uas is blowing those out for 550 bucks .

Also http://farm1.static.flickr.com/49/15...05c2d20f83.jpg

http://sites.google.com/site/rtwxtz660/alluboxes make your own.
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/c...lluboxes51.jpg

Beyond that you can mount old hard travel luggage you can find in a thrift store.
http://i01.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/410...EL_LUGGAGE.jpg
and also try http://www.geartrade.com for dry bags . They sell back countrys returns for up to 70% off. I got a 35 L dry bag back pack for 45 bucks . Normally 100 bucks with tax locally. Maybe mount the tools tube on the front end. If you really want to carried lots of stuff look on a cragslist search engine for your area and see if a cheap vespa side car comes up. I ve seen them come up every month or so . At times they can go for as little as 100 bucks to 800. Depends .

JerseyBiker 01-28-2012 04:53 AM

I had a GTS250 and added the Givi Maxia on the back. Whenever that was on it the front end wobble would get really bad to the point that taking even one hand off the bars was risky. I wondered if adding weight to the front would have helped.

So, be prepared that a large top box might alter your ride. If I were doing long rides on a Vespa I would seriously consider the trailer option.

On the plus side, I took 2 or 3 trips of about 750-1000 miles, much of it on interstates, and was greatly surprised how comfortable the Vespa was and how well it handed the distance.

Good luck and looking forward to reading some ride reports from you journeys.

JerseyBiker 01-28-2012 04:56 AM

That ride says "Super Geek" all over it and yet....it is so compelling that I WANT ONE!! :rofl

oldhippie1 01-28-2012 06:36 AM

Vespa trip
 
Is your Vespa a 250 or 300? Where do you plan to ride?

gogogordy 01-28-2012 07:25 AM

I'm liking this...
 
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=742318

rajavw 01-28-2012 07:34 AM

Summer Scooter Ride
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldhippie1 (Post 17853109)
Is your Vespa a 250 or 300? Where do you plan to ride?

It is a 200 cc 2 stroke. Manual transmission.

I've got a 1 month hall pass. Since I'm in the middle of California, I have 2 options in mind at this point.
  1. North to British Columbia, via PCH Highway 1 for 2 weeks, then return.
  2. South to Baja California, Cabo, Ferry to Mainland for 2 weeks, then return.


rajavw

rajavw 01-28-2012 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by damasovi (Post 17851677)
I have an idea for your rear rack:

put one of this:
http://www.happy-trail.com/images/9/...op-Plate.m.JPG

then one of this:
http://www.happy-trail.com/images/1.25/HTB_m.jpg

and you have the back cover. how much crap do you want to bring? remember that is a 58 L top box from HT http://www.happy-trail.com/Luggage/A...-58-Liter.aspx there are other options, but you get the point, for the front it will be nice to have something just to balance the weight but do not block your head light!!!

Or you could just built of have somebody to built you some stuff for your liking.

Damasovi

Thanks for the the Link. I really like this type of hard-core ADV aluminum box. I'm wondering if it could be mounted lengthwise, so it won't stick out on the sides.

Since there is a Welding Class being taught at my school, I should just ride over to the shop one day and talk to the Welding Shop instructor about making me an aluminum box and mounting plate. -- Now that's a brilliant idea!

rajavw

rajavw 01-28-2012 07:48 AM

Touring Box ideas for Vespa
 
Also http://farm1.static.flickr.com/49/15...05c2d20f83.jpg


Thanks for the photos and info.

This Correos Box, Solo Seat, and Rack is appealing. I've looked into this. Unfortunately, they are not available in North America.

If you know where I could get one, please pass it my way.

rajavw 01-28-2012 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gogogordy (Post 17853403)

Thanks for the link.

It would be awesome if I could get a large Lengthwise mounting plate for one of those Action Packers mounted on my Vespa's rear rack.

Brooktown Geezer 01-28-2012 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajavw (Post 17853461)
It is a 200 cc 2 stroke. Manual transmission.

I've got a 1 month hall pass. Since I'm in the middle of California, I have 2 options in mind at this point.
  1. North to British Columbia, via PCH Highway 1 for 2 weeks, then return.
  2. South to Baja California, Cabo, Ferry to Mainland for 2 weeks, then return.


rajavw

With that much time you could get to Hyder, Alaska and back, and that would be taking it easy! The roads in British Columbia are fantastic, and the scenery is too. Wherever you decide to go, I hope you are planning to post a ride report!

gogogordy 01-28-2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajavw (Post 17853615)
Thanks for the link.

It would be awesome if I could get a large Lengthwise mounting plate for one of those Action Packers mounted on my Vespa's rear rack.

I think that would be quite do-able.

hugemoth 01-28-2012 06:34 PM

I made my own box using acoustic guitar body techniques. Worked great on my Alaska trip in 1978 and many trips thereafter. Wider at the front and narrower at the back for aerodynamics. Flat top with cleats to work as a table and tie stuff to while on the road. Quick release to take into the tent at night. Light, strong, efficient storage.

I put my tent, sleeping bag, cloths bag, and foam pad on the front rack. Put it all in a garbage bag during bad weather.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...meandscoot.jpg


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014