ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Shoei Neotec VS Schuberth C3 - Impressions and Comparo (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=763068)

Motodisiac 02-08-2012 06:23 PM

Shoei Neotec VS Schuberth C3 - Impressions and Comparo

This morning I had an opportunity to take a ride in new Shoei Neotec and compare it to Schuberth C3. If you look at marketing materials for Neotec, you may get an impression that it's something groundbreaking. Well, it isn't. It is however the only alternative for people who find that Schuberth C3 just doesn't fit their head. As far as I'm concerned, everything else on the market of modular helmets is simply in a different league.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7171/6...c9af377b_z.jpg

For the sake of fair comparison I used size L in both helmets. Neotec weighs 3lbs 14 oz. Schuberth C3 is 3 lbs 8 oz. Once on your head, you will not notice the weight difference. What is noticeable however is the shell size. Schuberth is definitely more compact with cleaner overall shape. Not a deal breaker for Shoei lovers.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7144/6...22234e12_z.jpg

Once on the road, the Neotec is a little noisier than Schuberth, most likely due to less insulation at the neck. Both ventilate nice, with slight edge going to Shoei.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7019/6...749bae28_z.jpg

I noticed that Schuberth's sun visor goes down a little lower, but Shoei's visor definitely provides better clarity. Both are cable operated, but to me C3 is both smoother and easier to operate - I'm used to it though. Shoei is much less involving when it comes to closing the chin bar, it just shuts closed. C3 fits tighter and the closing procedure is more complicated - definitely not one hand deal.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7169/6...2975799a_z.jpg

Neotec comes with traditional D-ring strap, while Schuberth has nice ratchet. I prefer the latter, but it's not a deal breaker. Shoei is a bit roomier all around, most importanly in the chin area (especially when compared to Multitec)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7008/6...b82184dc_z.jpg

Both helmets come with pinlock inserts. Both have similar specs. Both are built to the highest quality standards - nothing else comes close. It's all about which one will fit your head better.

ride2little 02-08-2012 07:11 PM

thanks for that. One of these is my next helmet..soon, very soon.

speedz 02-08-2012 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motodisiac (Post 17943291)
Neotec comes with traditional D-ring strap, while Schuberth has nice ratchet. I prefer the latter, but it's not a deal breaker. Shoei is a bit roomier all around, most importanly in the chin area (especially when compared to Multitec)

So the US version gets a D-Ring strap? On Shoei's Euro website it says ratchet. I love my C3 but getting the ratchet adjusted just right for the first time takes me a long time. And during that time, the metal buckle's pressing on my adam's apple. ouch.

rikki tikki tavi 02-08-2012 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motodisiac (Post 17943291)
Shoei is a bit roomier all around, most importanly in the chin area (especially when compared to Multitec)

Moto..thanks for the comparison. The sentence quoted is of significant importance to many people following the Neotec threads. It appears Shoei listened to consumer's complaints about the too-close chin bar on the Multi, and made adjustments in the Neo.

My Neo is on preorder with Revzilla, and the fact that you have one in possession means it should be on my doorstep soon! I'm really looking forward to finally strapping the bitch on. :clap

BKVR6 02-08-2012 10:09 PM

DRing

I asked Revzilla and they contacted Shoei. Response was that the US is getting the DRings. Ratchet was a Europe only.

Thanks for the review Moto, more good info!

PuraVida 02-09-2012 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedz (Post 17944043)
the metal buckle's pressing on my adam's apple. ouch.

Speedz, can you elaborate a bit on this adjustment and how you fixed it? I've tried on several Schuberth helmets, and love them except for this problem. I've talked to a local rep and even emailed the company about it, but neither had a solution. Apparently they're aware that this issue affects a small number of people, but currently they have no plans to fix it.

David Shapiro 02-09-2012 06:23 AM

Thanks for your impressions. I am also planning to get one of these, depending on wkich fits the best. Given my pumpkin head, and the fact that the Shoei Quest is a very good fit, that's probably the way I'll go. I as also hoping that the new Nolan n104 would be in the mix, in part because of the giant eye port it has. I'm going to the Chicago motorcycle show this weekend, and hopefully I'll be going home with something.
David

Twinz 02-09-2012 07:10 AM

Has anyone tried the new Vemar Jiano EVO TC? I hear it's great and much better than the original Jiano (which I have).

Motodisiac 02-09-2012 11:00 AM

I did try it. It's heavy, uncomfortable and not as well put together as either Shoei or Schuberth. With the above two you are in heaven when they fit right, everything else is just OK - I tried just about every modular out there. If Arai made one it would be 3rd player :)

D.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twinz (Post 17946227)
Has anyone tried the new Vemar Jiano EVO TC? I hear it's great and much better than the original Jiano (which I have).

Motodisiac 02-09-2012 11:04 AM

From my extensive experience with C3 I can suggest trying different procedure when you put it on.

Once the helmet is on your head, try rotating it backwards until the neck roll bottoms out at your neck. This moves the ratchet forward (by just a little bit, but usually it's enough) and it will no longer bother your neck. Also, when you close the chin bar, hold the top of your helmet with one hand to prevent rotating the helmet forward. This procedure works for me.

D.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PuraVida (Post 17945895)
Speedz, can you elaborate a bit on this adjustment and how you fixed it? I've tried on several Schuberth helmets, and love them except for this problem. I've talked to a local rep and even emailed the company about it, but neither had a solution. Apparently they're aware that this issue affects a small number of people, but currently they have no plans to fix it.

AL417 02-09-2012 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Shapiro (Post 17945940)
Thanks for your impressions. I am also planning to get one of these, depending on wkich fits the best. Given my pumpkin head, and the fact that the Shoei Quest is a very good fit, that's probably the way I'll go. I as also hoping that the new Nolan n104 would be in the mix, in part because of the giant eye port it has. I'm going to the Chicago motorcycle show this weekend, and hopefully I'll be going home with something.
David

Revzilla has a comparison video of the Nolan n104 and the Neotec. I'm going to the show this Saturday and will be checking out helmets too.

unholymess 02-09-2012 12:37 PM

link for video?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AL417 (Post 17948313)
Revzilla has a comparison video of the Nolan n104 and the Neotec. I'm going to the show this Saturday and will be checking out helmets too.

Do you have link for that comparison video ?

mrt10x 02-09-2012 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AL417 (Post 17948313)

I cant find it.

showkey 02-09-2012 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Shapiro (Post 17945940)
as also hoping that the new Nolan n104 would be in the mix, in part because of the giant eye port it has. I'm going to the Chicago motorcycle show this weekend, and hopefully I'll be going home with something.
David

Hope a dealer has a Nolan's on display.......don't see Nolan in the vendor list???? :eek1 N104 is becoming available Feb 15 as per online sites???

Zupsic 02-09-2012 03:27 PM

Noise Comparison

Thank you for that hands on analysis Motodisiac. Very helpful.

Could you elaborate on the noise element? That is one of the top three criteria for me. Is there a noticable difference?

Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:45 AM.