ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ride reports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Guatemala to Alaska and Back (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=765375)

GuateRider 02-17-2012 03:28 PM

Guatemala to Alaska and Back

Two more days and the long expected day arrives : I will be leaving from Guatemala with the hope to make it to Alaska .
After years of meeting so many of you guys on your way down south or up north , now finally it's my turn .
My wife will meet me next month in northern Mexico and from there on we will be two up on our R1200 GsAdv.
We have no fixed route and a very almost no time limits ; any advise will be greatly appreciated .
Looking forward to meet some of you guys on the road !
Julio

dwiggins 02-17-2012 03:33 PM

Good luck, sounds like a great trip. I work with several Guatemalans and my dream trip would be Oklahoma, home, to Guatemala.
Don

EmilianoXR650L 02-18-2012 10:58 AM

Por la costa del pacifico !!!!!

Saludos Julio, si pasas por esta ruta estaremos pendientes de lo que se ofrezca !!!! buen viaje !!!!

Porterhouse 02-18-2012 11:04 AM

Sounds like a fantastic trip! Ride safe and look forward to some pics.

GuateRider 02-19-2012 02:23 AM

Thx guys !
Gracias Emiliano, si paso por allí te aviso
Julio

Parcero 02-19-2012 04:42 AM

He estado en tu país tan lindo el diciembre, y me gustó muchísimas. Necesito más tiempo allí. Estare contigo con advrider. ¡Buen viaje y mucho suerte con tu viaje, amigo! Cuidate.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk

jorbar1551 02-19-2012 07:09 PM

Take highway 1 once you get to california. Do not miss big sur

marior97 02-19-2012 07:32 PM

Enjoy your ride Julio !!!!!!!!!

Vaya con Dios amigo !!

:clap:clap:clap

crashmaster 02-20-2012 11:18 AM

Buen viaje Julio!

GuateRider 02-21-2012 03:08 AM

Gracias amigos and greetings from www.unicornioazul.com/

eddie98 02-21-2012 10:18 AM

Con mucho cuidado Julio. Ojala pasaran por el estado de GA, aqui hay casa para los chapines :D

GuateRider 02-21-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eddie98 (Post 18039232)
Con mucho cuidado Julio. Ojala pasaran por el estado de GA, aqui hay casa para los chapines :D

Gracias !

cycleman2 02-21-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuateRider (Post 18012355)
Two more days and the long expected day arrives : I will be leaving from Guatemala with the hope to make it to Alaska .
After years of meeting so many of you guys on your way down south or up north , now finally it's my turn .
My wife will meet me next month in northern Mexico and from there on we will be two up on our R1200 GsAdv.
We have no fixed route and a very almost no time limits ; any advise will be greatly appreciated .
Looking forward to meet some of you guys on the road !
Julio

What is your timetable like? Any idea when you plan on being into Canada? The reason I ask is the weather sometimes plays a big part of riding in this part of the world. We can all make some suggestions on routes, what to see etc once we know a little bit more.

GuateRider 02-22-2012 05:45 AM

I don't have much of a timetable, I know that I should do Canada Alaska between late June and the end of August .
The plan is entering Canada in Alberta .
In the US I'll try to avoid big cities and I'm looking forward to National Parks etc.
Hope this makes it easier to get suggestions
Julio

cycleman2 02-22-2012 06:01 AM

With the coming into Alberta. I would suggest that you come up through Kalispell Montana, across the Road to the Sun Pass and take the Chief Mountain Border Crossing into Canada. Then up through PIncher Creek, taking the Cowboy Trail up the east side of the Rockies and it comes out west of Calgary on # 1 Hwy. Then west to Banff & up through the Columbia Icefield to Jasper. If you look at a map it will give you an idea of what I'm talking about. A very scenic route and keeps you off the 4 lanes.

The Road to the Sun is only open 2 or 3 months of the year and in 2011 it didn't open until July 17. I know because my wife and I made a trip into Montana & Idaho from Lethbridge Alberta, where we live. There is an alternate route that goes around this pass. If you are in this part of the world the pass is definitely worth riding once.

I'm following your trip so if I can help let me know.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:46 AM.