ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Beasts (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   820 Hyperstrada (was Hyper Explorer 796) (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=769864)

avianello 03-04-2012 02:45 PM

820 Hyperstrada (was Hyper Explorer 796)
 
Somebody has finally decided to offer a kit to transform an hypermotard in a "beast": http://www.ducatibellevue.com/projec....php?project=5
And on OneWheelDrive: http://www.onewheeldrive.net/2012/02...796-adventure/
What do you think about it? It seems what I was waiting for!

Fallacy 03-04-2012 03:20 PM

I made saddle bag mounts and added a HID conversion
To my Hypermotard 1100 last year before a 8 state 2 week
northwest US tour.
It was an excelent mount for the trip, it handled everything I
threw at it. 90+% paved roads but it handled gravel just fine.
It felt very much like my 620 Multistrada, just with more Hyper..
Sadly I have parted with it, I replaced it with a Tiger 800xc
I couldn't make myself take such a pretty bike to Alaska this June.
I dearly miss that bike, great potential.

avianello 03-04-2012 03:29 PM

I know, it is too pretty to take her in the dirt:D but I think that is has the potential of becoming a good touring bike for the roads I like to drive here in Maine. It is also a very light compared to the other "beasts". I am mostly interested in the luggage rack and the the skidplate. Maybe the handguards. I am not sure about the rear tire though: Avon Distanzias don't come in the right size and the TKC80 seem a bit out of place on this kind of bike.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fallacy (Post 18136089)
I made saddle bag mounts and added a HID conversion
To my Hypermotard 1100 last year before a 8 state 2 week
northwest US tour.
It was an excelent mount for the trip, it handled everything I
threw at it. 90+% paved roads but it handled gravel just fine.
It felt very much like my 620 Multistrada, just with more Hyper..
Sadly I have parted with it, I replaced it with a Tiger 800xc
I couldn't make myself take such a pretty bike to Alaska this June.
I dearly miss that bike, great potential.


Jimo368 03-05-2012 04:55 PM

Ducati should just put the 796 motor into the Multistrada with standard suspension and they would sell more of them than they do 796 Hyper motards.

Bill the Bong 03-06-2012 12:04 PM

I would personally like an off-the-shelf conversion that would make it a KTM 950SE competitor: Off-road suspension, 21 x 18 wheels, maybe a different tripple clamp.

Bryn1203 03-06-2012 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimo368 (Post 18145166)
Ducati should just put the 796 motor into the Multistrada with standard suspension and they would sell more of them than they do 796 Hyper motards.

I recently had a test ride on a 898 Street fighter monster - it had a wonderfully flexible and powerful engine that would make a great mini-multi-strada lite :D

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-Bh7Z...-Bh7ZdMd-L.jpg

avianello 03-06-2012 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimo368 (Post 18145166)
Ducati should just put the 796 motor into the Multistrada with standard suspension and they would sell more of them than they do 796 Hyper motards.

That would be a great bike, even if I am still not convinced by the look of the Multistrada

Yossarian™ 03-06-2012 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryn1203 (Post 18151852)
I recently had a test ride on a 898 Street fighter monster

An unheard-of model?

wncstrada 03-07-2012 06:30 PM

I just discovered the Hyper Explorer - my hat's off to the folks at Ducati Bellevue for creating this bike. I've always thought that the small Hyper or the Dorsoduro would make a great adventure bike, but there was no good luggage or skidplate products out there. The final piece of the puzzle is the new Continental TKC-80 tires to fit these bikes. C'mon Ducati Bellevue, how about posting some bigger pictures of the bike!

Adv Grifter 03-07-2012 08:20 PM

Not sure where anyone would be exploring on this bike. You won't get far with big, wide 17" sport bike tires and wheels, small tank and an essentially road going set up. Those wheels are Light ... and delicate. They will break first time you really smack an embedded rock hard at speed.
Been there, seen it happen.

And how strong is that sub frame? If those hard bags are loaded up and you start riding Wash Board ... something is gonna give. Baja would eat that bike alive in one day of riding. I've seen this with 950 and 990 KTM's in Baja.

Steering a fat 17" sport tire in dirt is no fun. They don't turn well, no traction and prone to puncture.

I love the beautiful simplicity of the air/oil cooled Duc motor. Someday Ducati will make a lay down single version of that (think Husaberg), put it in a cool off road Trellis frame, add Ohlins and some crash protection and you're ready to conquer the world.

The bike shown would be a nice weekend sport tourer. Except it has no range. What is that? 3 US Gallon tank? Good luck with that. :lol3
I've ridden the 1100 Hyper Moto and loved it. Bye Bye license if I owned that sucker. But I carry more than a Tooth Brush on my longer rides. :D

cug 03-07-2012 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adv Grifter (Post 18163689)
The bike shown would be a nice weekend sport tourer. Except it has no range. What is that? 3 US Gallon tank? Good luck with that. :lol3

Read before you embarrass yourself more:

"California Cycle Works 6.3 Gal fuel tank - $799.00"

Right on the website for the bike.

Yossarian™ 03-08-2012 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adv Grifter (Post 18163689)
The bike shown would be a nice weekend sport tourer. Except it has no range. What is that? 3 US Gallon tank? Good luck with that.

The specs listed on the site would seem to indicate that they have a CA Cycleworks 6.3 gallon tank installed, or at least available. I had considered one for my 1100S if I'd have kept it.

Adv Grifter 03-08-2012 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cug (Post 18163925)
Read before you embarrass yourself more:
"California Cycle Works 6.3 Gal fuel tank - $799.00"
Right on the website for the bike.

Whoops! I was just looking at the bike ... not the options offered. That tank must integrate quite well. Here is the pic of bike in question. Is there a
6 gallon tank on there? :lol3

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-L...MoCwHaSiCz.jpg

Yossarian™ 03-08-2012 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adv Grifter (Post 18167868)
Whoops! I was just looking at the bike ... not the options offered. That tank must integrate quite well. Here is the pic of bike in question. Is there a
6 gallon tank on there? :lol3

The tank on the Hyper is "hidden" within the tank cover and the frame of the bike; it extends rearward above the shock, etc. CA Cycleworks' design takes advantage of available space and crevices, at the expense of the Hyper's airbox, which must be replaced with pod filters.

cug 03-08-2012 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adv Grifter (Post 18167868)
That tank must integrate quite well. Here is the pic of bike in question. Is there a 6 gallon tank on there? :lol3

You really have a talent for embarrassing yourself by not trying to figure out stuff before you post crap, right? :deal

The gas tank is fully integrated in the bike, it used the OEM cover plastics.

http://www.ca-cycleworks.com/ca-cycl...tard-fuel-tank

Next time, maybe do 2 minutes of web search.


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014