ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Face plant (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Six Months Later . . . (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=787391)

diesel1959 05-02-2012 09:04 PM

Six Months Later . . .
 
Back on October 14th, 2011, I was on duty, working Motorcycle Patrol, running stationary radar during school zone time in a small town in East Texas. I was aboard my 2006 R1200RT-P and had just shot off after a violator. The location was on a US highway--two lanes, one each way. As I made my way after the speeder, I was running up through the gears (probably just hit fourth and was going about 55+), with emergency lights and siren on. As I closed the gap between the violator and myself, I noted a small car make a left turn from a side road onto the highway into my lane. Traffic was heavy in the oncoming lane and I presume the driver was more focused on finding a gap than watching out for a motorcycle, much less one with lights and siren blaring.

With the oncoming lane denied as an out, and wanting to avoid a t-bone/rear-ender with the car that entered my lane, my only choice became heading for the ditch to the right. The ditch was interrupted by a private driveway with a concrete culvert. The bike slammed into the culvert and stopped forthwith. I was thrown up and over, with the handlebars breaking both my femurs and my left ankle . . . . The impact with the culvert was hard enough that my helmet (3/4 style w/open face) was ripped from my head, and I flew over fifty feet--over the driveway and along the drainage ditch. Conscious the entire time, I remember tasting concrete as I flew through the air . . . and then landed, with my first point of contact being my right forearm and elbow. The impact shattered my right humerus at the head into at least six pieces. As I lay there, I was checking fingers and toes when I noticed about eight inches of my right femur sticking up into the air.

Luckily, through the services of LifeFlight, it was possible for me to arrive at Memorial-Hermann @ the Houston Medical Center within about 55 minutes after the accident having taken place--this despite the scene having been nearly 80 miles away. My life and my leg were saved because of that fact, most especially because the ER Orthopedic Surgeon has had a couple tours in Iraq/Afghanistan.

I went through seven surgeries in the first thirteen days, and received 24 units of blood in total. Thanks to all who donate. After having spent over four months in the hospital, I've still got a long road to recovery.

Tobbera 05-02-2012 09:47 PM

:eek1 Ohhhh! My body hurts when reading this.

But, how could your helmet come off?

Go Irish75 05-02-2012 10:32 PM

WOW! As a 14 year veteran LEO, I feel for you brother. Thanks for doing what you do, trying to make everyone safer, and sacrificing yourself in the pursuit of the same. I wish you well and to a speedy and successful recovery. Thank you for sharing your tale, and please keep us posted.

kars85 05-03-2012 03:09 AM

OMFG. My bones ache just thinking about what you might've gone though. Best of luck on a speedy recovery.

74C5 05-03-2012 07:29 AM

Son of a bitch! Your story alone hurts. Best wishes on recovery.

Retired for much much less than that....takes quite awhile for all the little minor pains to go away.

NoVa Rider 05-03-2012 07:32 AM

Ouch. :cry

Queenie 05-03-2012 07:47 AM

Holy S***! Reading your post made me yell out loud! Thank God you are here to tell the tale and are on the mend. As a fellow LEO of 23 years from Texas as well, I am truely very thankful that you are going to be ok. Lost a brother motorcop here at my department in 2007 and I think of him everyday. Any charges for the bozo that pulled out on you???

diesel1959 05-03-2012 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tobbera (Post 18599885)
:eek1 Ohhhh! My body hurts when reading this.

But, how could your helmet come off?

Now you know just how hard I hit the culvert . . . (yes, the strap was properly fastened.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Queenie (Post 18601935)
Holy S***! Reading your post made me yell out loud! Thank God you are here to tell the tale and are on the mend. As a fellow LEO of 23 years from Texas as well, I am truely very thankful that you are going to be ok. Lost a brother motorcop here at my department in 2007 and I think of him everyday. Any charges for the bozo that pulled out on you???

He pulled over, then looked like he was going to take off . . . some good folks on the scene prevented him from leaving. He was charged, but it was a traffic offense only, of course. His insurance has completely paid out and his case is disposed now. That's one of the reasons I waited six months to post.

Vitruvian Mike 05-03-2012 07:59 AM

That hurt to read.

Heal up and get back in the saddle. Thanks for your service!

vMike

Queenie 05-03-2012 08:07 AM

Are you going to get back on the bike at work? I do not ride at work, I'm a patrol sergeant and would never ride at work because that'd take the fun out of it for me. I ride a Road King and it's my escape from the job. What happened to your hemet is very interesting though because most days I wear a 1/2 helmet. Maybe if you do ride on duty again you would change helmets???

diesel1959 05-03-2012 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Queenie (Post 18602085)
Are you going to get back on the bike at work? I do not ride at work, I'm a patrol sergeant and would never ride at work because that'd take the fun out of it for me. I ride a Road King and it's my escape from the job. What happened to your hemet is very interesting though because most days I wear a 1/2 helmet. Maybe if you do ride on duty again you would change helmets???

This is an example of what I was wearing--this exact model of Super Seer Law Enforcement 3/4 helmet:

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/1091/s1607bw500.jpg

Bobblehead 05-03-2012 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tobbera (Post 18599885)
But, how could your helmet come off?

It takes quite an impact to break both femurs like that, and no manner of attachment is 100% effective. The forces involved were pretty severe, and it could have had a much worse outcome. (OP forgot to mention the crushed vertebra!) Just glad to have him still around. :freaky

norvegicus 05-03-2012 09:01 AM

nag loggrg

here's an av for you

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/...us/ddadvav.jpg

diesel1959 05-03-2012 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobblehead (Post 18602325)
It takes quite an impact to break both femurs like that, and no manner of attachment is 100% effective. The forces involved were pretty severe, and it could have had a much worse outcome. (OP forgot to mention the crushed vertebra!) Just glad to have him still around. :freaky

Quote:

Originally Posted by norvegicus (Post 18602475)

thanks, guys.:clap

It'sNotTheBike 05-03-2012 11:43 AM

The irony of a policeman crashing while in an effort to cite a motorist
for "unsafe" speeding is simply incredible.

Sad though the events indeed are, it points out the fact that riding on
the street we always need to leave ourselves an "out" in the event
another motorist does something stupid, which these days they do
very frequently.


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014