ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   The perfect line and other riding myths (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Would a Ninja 250 be a good bike to take to California Superbike School? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=789355)

Dauntless 05-09-2012 07:58 AM

Would a Ninja 250 be a good bike to take to California Superbike School?
 
I am going to take the one day course at the California Superbike School. I have never been on a track before but I have been riding street bikes for 15 years. Should I use their BMW S1000RRs or bring my own bike. I currently have an R1200R but I have been thinking about buying a Ninja 250.

Yossarian™ 05-09-2012 08:02 AM

Use their bike.

If you are worried about damaging it, then buy the waiver insurance and have at it.

ikonoklass 05-09-2012 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dauntless (Post 18647023)
I am going to take the one day course at the California Superbike School. I have never been on a track before but I have been riding street bikes for 15 years. Should I use their BMW S1000RRs or bring my own bike. I currently have an R1200R but I have been thinking about buying a Ninja 250.

My only concern would be your lack of speed relative to everyone else. The last time I was there, Karel Abraham was in the class, and he lapped the whole field repeatedly. He missed me by inches one time and apologized. Passing happens constantly, but i don't think it's particularly safe to be way slower than everyo else. On the other hand, Keith would probably say it was fine.

outlaws justice 05-09-2012 08:16 AM

I used a 500 Ninja on my first track day. If it is a tight technical track no problem, use the small bike and work on your cornering skills, if there is a lot of big straights and places to make big speed the 250 might not be a good choice. If that is the case look for a SV650 or something along those lines.

DAKEZ 05-09-2012 08:25 AM

It would be a FUN bike to take to Superbike School.

Mr. Magoo 05-09-2012 08:32 AM

I've taken the school. Use their bikes. Have a great time!

lemieuxmc 05-09-2012 08:51 AM

And since the BMW S1000rr has all of those gee-whiz electronics and the worlds finest ABS... well, you can just pin it and enjoy the ride! :eek1




ADVISORY WARNING!
This is a facetious and sarcastic post intended to illustrate the fact that technology never trumps stupidity, it only holds it off long enough to build up enough momentum for a really spectacular outcome. There is no inference, express or implied, that the BMW S1000rr or any of the other technologically superior BMW products aren't the greatest thing in motorcycling since the invention of assless chaps.

fast4d 05-09-2012 09:45 AM

use the school bike and damage it? you'll be responsible up to x amount. I think the limit is $2500 but please ask them.

ninja 250 is fine. I've see FG650/dualsport type bikes there.

Jim Moore 05-09-2012 01:34 PM

I'd either take the 12R or rent one of the school bikes. The 12R woudl be good practice for yoru daily rides. Otoh, if you've never been on a superbike, they're ... well ... terrifying. In a good way.

willis 2000 05-09-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemieuxmc (Post 18647434)




ADVISORY WARNING!
This is a facetious and sarcastic post intended to illustrate the fact that technology never trumps stupidity, it only holds it off long enough to build up enough momentum for a really spectacular outcome. There is no inference, express or implied, that the BMW S1000rr or any of the other technologically superior BMW products aren't the greatest thing in motorcycling since the invention of assless chaps.

The inertia of stupidity, I learn something new every day.

B.Curvin 05-09-2012 03:44 PM

Go for it. You'll be laughing in your helmet when you go around the outside of the guy on the S1000RR that left his 250 at home. :deal

Mr. Magoo 05-09-2012 03:45 PM

What track?

Dauntless 05-09-2012 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo (Post 18650623)
What track?

Thunderbolt Raceway in New Jersey.

car94 05-09-2012 06:56 PM

Slow bikes are FUN to ride fast! I have taken my CRF230 with knobbies to the track. My XR650 and I have ridden a Ninja 250.

Misti Hurst 05-15-2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dauntless (Post 18647023)
I am going to take the one day course at the California Superbike School. I have never been on a track before but I have been riding street bikes for 15 years. Should I use their BMW S1000RRs or bring my own bike. I currently have an R1200R but I have been thinking about buying a Ninja 250.

I'm a coach with the school and have been for the past 8 years. I'd say do whatever you are most comfortable with :) It is easier to ride the school bikes as you don't have to worry about transporting it to the track, gas, maintenance, and fixing it if you crash. The S1000RR's are amazing and fun to ride and you are only liable up to a certain amount (ask the office exactly what that is) so if you crash and only do $100 worth of damage then that is all you pay.

The Ninja 250 would be absolutely fine to ride at the school, we have students on all manner of bikes and sometimes the slowest ones are the ones on the "fastest" bikes.

Enjoy and have FUN whatever bike you choose and if you have any more questions about the school then just let me know and I'd be happy to answer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by B.Curvin (Post 18650610)
Go for it. You'll be laughing in your helmet when you go around the outside of the guy on the S1000RR that left his 250 at home. :deal

Hehehehehe, soooo true!! :D


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014