ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Frog Bayou (AR) (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=792609)

Zecatfish 05-20-2012 01:25 PM

Frog Bayou (AR)
 
1 Attachment(s)
This is the track down through the Bottoms where we had some issues at SLAP. It is not for the Timid its a tough ride to get back out.....
Alot of the trails was actually destroyed by a flash flood several years ago.
It has Rocks, logs, low trees, and more rocks.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-1...%2520Bayou.jpg
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink
Heres the same track USGS Topo

DrLewall 05-21-2012 05:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
for comparison..

I combined catfish's track with my track comin in from the east. The washout where I turned around is abt a half a mile from the falls..also boot this track up in google earth and note the plane in the woods..no run way, just trees! :huh

TRZ Charlie 05-21-2012 06:54 AM

Also for comparison at Frog Bayou
 
1 Attachment(s)
On Friday morning at the 2012 SLAP rally Toyman, Dragon, Magoo, and two others (sorry guys, I forgot your names) tried to get down to Frog Bayou on Friday morning. We came fairly close but we had better track as it was about to be logged out. The log company had started their road.

Nearing the bottom I ran into a 25' drop and turned us around and back to Bidville.

This was our track down into the abyss.

http://drzcharlie.smugmug.com/Other/...oration-XL.jpg

Here are the two tracks overlayed. We were somewhat close on the first day but got stopped by a rock ledge about 25' tall.

http://drzcharlie.smugmug.com/Other/...ayou-II-XL.jpg

DrLewall 05-25-2012 07:17 PM

Pix of Frog Bayou
 
Click here for the link to pictures of Frog Bayou on photobucket

markar 05-27-2012 01:53 PM

Having never even heard of Frog Bayou till the SLAP reports, I had to check it out this morning. For those who are thinking about coming in from the east using Doc's track, I made it through the wash out section without much trouble and it takes you straight to the falls. Pretty desolate out in that area!

http://mrote.smugmug.com/photos/i-rm...-rmdfPM8-L.jpg

Zecatfish 05-29-2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markar (Post 18778316)
Having never even heard of Frog Bayou till the SLAP reports, I had to check it out this morning. For those who are thinking about coming in from the east using Doc's track, I made it through the wash out section without much trouble and it takes you straight to the falls. Pretty desolate out in that area!

http://mrote.smugmug.com/photos/i-rm...-rmdfPM8-L.jpg

Cool,
Got some uploadable tracks for it?
If not you could email me and I will.
You must've found away around the washout I assume. :D

You came in on an ATV trail we didn't see on the way in. I did see it riding B*tch on the ATV
with the S&R crew and wondered about it.

DrLewall 05-29-2012 12:49 PM

That 2nd wash out is very dooable and I would not have had an issue with it..but the people who were with me would have. Since it was beyond their skill level, I decided to spare them the terror! :D

Valentino Magoo 05-29-2012 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrLewall (Post 18791884)
That 2nd wash out is very dooable and I would not have had an issue with it..but the people who were with me would have. Since it was beyond their skill level, I decided to spare them the terror! :D


I can't imagine that the 2nd washout was anything compared to the rock garden and the climbs out to the north. Sheesh, I could have gone a long time without seeing that! Thanks anyway, Markar!

http://i49.tinypic.com/acdj5y.jpg

markar 05-29-2012 01:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hope this works. The washout wasn't bad, a short and steep maybe 5 ft, drop into the creekbed and then another short and steep little hop out of the creekbed. ATVs have rutted it up some but I didn't have any problems. Just make sure you don't stop on the way out and tip to the right, it's quite a ways down!

If it's wet, all bets are off and iI probably wouldn't even attempt it. Well, I'm stupid enough, I probably would but I wouldn't recommend it. :D

Wanted to add, after the washout, the trail doesn't get as much use so I got smacked by a lot of low hanging branches. There are some rocky sections but I don't remember anything too bad. I wasn't sure which way to go when I got to the falls so I went south to Bidville Rd.

Zecatfish 07-25-2012 02:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=5818
Seems Earlevet stumbled into Frog Bayou on accident.
Don't tell Gus and Magoo there was a GS doable route out of the jaws of the frog. :lol3

Thanks for sharing earlevet. :freaky

Valentino Magoo 07-25-2012 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zecatfish (Post 19211446)
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=5818
Seems Earlevet stumbled into Frog Bayou on accident.
Don't tell Gus and Magoo there was a GS doable route out of the jaws of the frog. :lol3

Thanks for sharing earlevet. :freaky

Too late. So who checked out the downstream sections and said "no way"?
Same guy that is out in Utah with Chuck and Albie. Wonder why I stayed back,

Zecatfish 07-25-2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valentino Magoo (Post 19212181)
Too late. So who checked out the downstream sections and said "no way"?
Same guy that is out in Utah with Chuck and Albie. Wonder why I stayed back,

They came in on the first cross trail we was at, and you know who explored down it and said it ended. :lol
Looking at the tracks I wish I had checked it too.
There is enough tracks here now to make a great loop for SLAP group ride next year. :deal

ta2240 03-19-2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrLewall (Post 18732530)
for comparison..

I combined catfish's track with my track comin in from the east. The washout where I turned around is abt a half a mile from the falls..also boot this track up in google earth and note the plane in the woods..no run way, just trees! :huh

DrLewall, has anyone ever seen this "Plane" in the woods? I think that still google map photo just so happens to have been taken as a plane was flying over that part of the forest.

I kind of think you knew that and wanted to see what clown would go off trying to find the danged thing. :lol3 That clown would have been me and three other east Texas nuts if I would not have realized it before the beginning of April(2013)

DrLewall 03-20-2013 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ta2240 (Post 20985415)
DrLewall, has anyone ever seen this "Plane" in the woods? I think that still google map photo just so happens to have been taken as a plane was flying over that part of the forest.

I kind of think you knew that and wanted to see what clown would go off trying to find the danged thing. :lol3 That clown would have been me and three other east Texas nuts if I would not have realized it before the beginning of April(2013)

oh darn! we almost had ya! :evil


:rofl

Newner 04-26-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zecatfish (Post 19212279)
They came in on the first cross trail we was at, and you know who explored down it and said it ended. :lol
Looking at the tracks I wish I had checked it too.
There is enough tracks here now to make a great loop for SLAP group ride next year. :deal

Bump..... :evil Agreed


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014