ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Orange Crush (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   My 950 caught fire... (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=793405)

brents347 05-23-2012 08:07 AM

My 950 caught fire...

And burned everything.

I'd love to post photos, but I am just now able to get on the internet at all and pictures will be a whole nother challange.

Long story short, I wanted to pick up my boy from school on the 950 (it was his birthday) but the battery was weak from me having leftthe GPS turned on a few days earlier. So I put the bike on a trickle charger and left the house for about 20 minutes to check on a job.

When I returned the house was in flames. My wife was in the shower at the time, so she was running around the yard in a towel, hysterical. Needless to say.

The losses:

About 1/2 the house. Looks like we will be out for 6 months and although much of our stuff did not recieve fire damage, they are throwing most all of our stuff away due to smoke damage.

The 950. It simply discintigrated (sp?).The front end, triples, forks, wheel, etc. is gone. The swingarm burned through. Things like valve covers and engine cases melted or burned away. Even the carbs burned or melted to nothing.

My 660 Rally bike. Not as bad as the 950, but not salvagable at all. Nothing left.

My '65 Ford Mustang. It was my grandfathers car and is very important to me. I may be able to save this one. It is completely burned cosmetically and interior, but the body, chassis and engine may be good. I will buy it back and put it in the back barn for some later day.

All mountain bikes, paddle boards, tools, and everything else you keep in the garage. Which for me is everything.

The fire started with either the charger or the battery itself, and since our fire I am learning that this is NOT uncommon. So be careful when charging batteries. I will never charge a battery in the garage again. Move the bike, move the battery, whatever. It isn't that hard to do. Lesson learned.

el' hefe 05-23-2012 08:18 AM

Wow, sorry to hear. The good thing is that everyone is okay (the material items are replaceable). This will make me think twice about leaving my bikes on a trickle charger. Good luck with your recovery effots.

Hobbes950 05-23-2012 08:18 AM

Wow. I am dumbstruck. Can't comprehend how you must feel. Glad everyone is ok. Thanks for the heads up on this. Have always though about getting a trickle for the winter time, but now.... maybe not.

markie_wales 05-23-2012 08:19 AM

You and your family are safe, that's what keeps this thread OK. I cannot think of any other up side (although let's be honest - being safe - that's THE most important thing) - sorry for everything else.

If you were closer I'd let you have a ride on my SE now and again to keep you sane through what's likely to be a tough time.

cheers

Markie

Chuckracer 05-23-2012 08:22 AM

Holee Shit. I am dumbstruck. I cannot imagine what you and your family are going through right now...I am so sorry...

NewHampWoodsRider 05-23-2012 08:30 AM

Wow...

Im sorry for your losses, very glad no one was injured!!

Ive always been leary of those batteries/chargers, plus the gasses they put off!!

slackmeyer 05-23-2012 08:42 AM

Jeezus, sorry to hear that Brent. Sounds terrible, really glad that all the people involved are ok.

bikyto 05-23-2012 08:52 AM

Wow I can't believe it either Brent. I'm so sorry. :cry

AdvGa 05-23-2012 08:57 AM

So sorry to hear about this. May the force be with you on your insurance claim and let us know if you need some help.

If you don't mind, can you tell us what Brand of Trickle charger was suspect?

All the Best!

Tbone 05-23-2012 08:57 AM

That sucks !!! Glad your family is okay though.

propilot10 05-23-2012 09:00 AM

Wow, very sorry about your loss. I was headed today to get a trickle charger for my 990. rethinking that now.

CA Stu 05-23-2012 09:04 AM

Wow, man, really sorry to hear this.

Hope everything comes out OK for you and the family in the long run.

Thanks for posting the tip about charging a battery, though. :thumb

Apple Jam 05-23-2012 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brents347 (Post 18749038)
My '65 Ford Mustang. It was my grandfathers car and is very important to me. I may be able to save this one. It is completely burned cosmetically and interior, but the body, chassis and engine may be good. I will buy it back and put it in the back barn for some later day.

All of this is very sad, and most things are replaceable. My heart turned heavy reading this.
That Mustang....has sentimental value that cannot be re-bought.
I hope for you, that this car will see rebirth.

May you recover somewhat, someday. And may insurance treat you well.
You seem to have a decent attitude about it...that's a big start.

Good luck, and much more, fellow Crusher. :norton

Off Road Ryder 05-23-2012 09:19 AM

Man. I feel your pain.. I'm glad you seem to be in good spirits. It shows how something we take for granted can cause a life altering experience.. What if that happened in the middle of the night?
I hope you come out Ok with all of this. Best wishes.

charlie264 05-23-2012 09:20 AM

Sorry to hear this. Eveyone is OK by the sounds of things so thats the main thing. Insurance companies in the UK can be wankers, but its worth noteing that in terms of the law, if the offer you X, you can request replacing like for like....insurance companies dont like you stating this. Not rubbing salt, but for others...I have smoke alarms in the garage..PITA when using a torch....but....

Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:29 PM.