ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Hacks (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Ural drive shaft U-joint -to grease (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=804384)

kawzak 06-29-2012 09:46 PM

Ural drive shaft U-joint -to grease
 
I have gone over everything on my new Patrol. The drive shaft u-joint grease zerk just don't have enough clearance to get a grease gun fitting on.I even machined the barrell/end of my grease gun fitting smaller dia. still no-go. Suggestions? or just take the drive shaft loose from rear hub. Not a big deal-just curious what others do.I even tried an old slender slide pump type gun for lubing milling machines. Angle is just too tight.

bmccurdy 06-29-2012 09:52 PM

Hey Kawzak, have you tried a grease gun needle? You can pick one up at most automotive stores. They are designed for extra hard to reach tight spots and come in a variety of lengths, work very well.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

windmill 06-29-2012 10:09 PM

Hey kawzac,

You should really consider joining Soviet Steeds, every question you have asked has been covered extensively there in multiple threads, and several dealers also participate, and will help with questions.There is a whole section dedicated to service, maintenance and repairs.

Also there are obviously many more Ural enthusiasts there, perhaps some local to you who would be happy to help you.

kawzak 06-29-2012 10:13 PM

I have a needle with a zerk on it. I need to get the regular fitting end on the zerk so I can pump lots into this u-joint. The other (2) took alot before it slightly oozed out around the seals.I dont think I can get enough in there with a needle.Thanks for the suggestion though.

Wolfgang55 06-29-2012 10:29 PM

I use a needle to get the grease deep up into the splines but I use Autotec #57216, it looks more like a ball point pen's refill.

I had to bend the last 3/8" to angle it inside the joint but it works great. I also use a small one hand grease gun.

SS has all the info to get you working.

kb5zcr 06-30-2012 01:10 AM

You need this. The one four from the left is the correct tip.
$24 at Harbor Freight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...kit-95904.html

kawzak 06-30-2012 04:08 PM

Thanks for the replies. I will join the other fourm you spoke of. I have seen it. many times my computer rejects hooking up to it???. Also thanks for the Harbor freight grease /coupler assortment info. it looks like that is just what I need.Thanks KB5VCR .

Railbender 07-01-2012 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kawzak (Post 19024799)
I have a needle with a zerk on it. I need to get the regular fitting end on the zerk so I can pump lots into this u-joint. The other (2) took alot before it slightly oozed out around the seals.I dont think I can get enough in there with a needle.Thanks for the suggestion though.

I have been using a needle tip for mine and it works just fine.

:freaky

kawzak 07-01-2012 07:00 PM

When I was talking about the needle-the one I have is a large sringe needle with a zerk fitting on it to stick in ball joint cups on cars. The needle you guys are talking about are bigger it sounds like-just hold against the zerk. thanks for the suggestions.

Railbender 07-02-2012 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kawzak (Post 19035629)
When I was talking about the needle-the one I have is a large sringe needle with a zerk fitting on it to stick in ball joint cups on cars. The needle you guys are talking about are bigger it sounds like-just hold against the zerk. thanks for the suggestions.

Yes. It is just a thin tube with a needle tip that you just push it into the Zerk fitting. Any good auto parts store will have them.

:freaky

Wolfgang55 07-03-2012 12:02 AM

''Thin Tube'' that is what I have & it's strong enough to push against. Thanks Railbender

Bobmws 07-03-2012 06:04 AM

The early BMW's had a flat zerk fitting, no ball for the grease gun to clamp onto, just the spring loaded check ball in the middle that you pushed the needle tip into. Over the years I've used that needle for lots of tasks, greasing CV joint, etc.

vetsurginc 07-04-2012 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kawzak (Post 19024672)
I have gone over everything on my new Patrol. The drive shaft u-joint grease zerk just don't have enough clearance to get a grease gun fitting on.I even machined the barrell/end of my grease gun fitting smaller dia. still no-go. Suggestions? or just take the drive shaft loose from rear hub. Not a big deal-just curious what others do.I even tried an old slender slide pump type gun for lubing milling machines. Angle is just too tight.

Harbor Freight Had a hand mini grease gun (3 ounce cartridge of grease) that fits my 2011 GearUp zerks very nicely. So snug a connection I've had to use a flat blade screw driver to help pop it off. :rofl

BeemerChef 12-16-2012 12:46 PM

I had the same question! Thanks for all the info. Had not checked SS yet where I do spend some time o. "Googling" the question brought me here. Nice. Have little grease gun, needles and all...
Stay well.
Ara and Spirit

http://beemerchef.smugmug.com/photos...-xN8xvxQ-S.png

bomber1965 12-28-2012 07:22 PM

you need to change out the regular ball zerk fitting for a flush needle style zerk fitting.





http://i49.tinypic.com/4grqyv.jpg



http://images.drillspot.com/pimages/9025/902564_300.jpg


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014