ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Americas (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Northern New England Trail (NH-ME-VT Late September/early October on a DS Anyone? (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=808748)

devo2002 07-15-2012 06:36 AM

Northern New England Trail (NH-ME-VT Late September/early October on a DS Anyone?

:wink:RIDE REPORT BEGINS HERE:wink:

Hopefully this will turn into a ride report but for now it's all planning.

After seeing all these exploratory routes people are putting together and collaborating with to tie into other routes I thought it would be a great idea to help out and verify Canuman's Northern New England Trail he recently made public. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=769424. Its purpose, besides fun of course, is to tie the TET into a Canadian gravel travel route and goes across some remote areas of Maine. As this is a big bike friendly route and I'll be on a dr350, I anticipate many a side excursion whenever my brain (or yours) says "I wonder what's down there" :lol3

Dates: September 22nd - 28th

Plan : Verify the Northern New England Trail with plenty of extra-curricular exploratory side trips beginning at the western end.

You : Have a small DS (some have mentioned klr's and any bike is welcome if the rider is adventerous) and enjoy getting up early, riding all day, camping at night.

The Cast:
Devo2002 - In
AtlasExp - In
8gv - In
tdvt - in for local VT/NH riding.

Guymanbro - maybe
Kenny61 - maybe
Bogboy - maybe
Epicxcrider - maybe

The route (subject to modification as we see fit)
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/y...s/NNEATMap.jpg

I'm a novice DS rider that will be packing light and camping the majority of the time (may have to use a hotel for a night for some creature comforts).

So, with that in mind, I plan on leaving from the NYC area on Friday, September 21st and shooting straight up to Sutton to leave the bike at Canuman's place and begin the trip on Saturday. From there it's 6 - 6.5 days of exploration, landing back in Sutton sometime on Friday for the RedNEK Rendezvous, a 3 days camping trip being hosted again by Canuman. He has planned everything from street to big adventure to a tight trails route being hosted by a local inmate. A friggin' food truck may even be there :lol3
I highly recommend it http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=790766

I will be procuring a trailer that fits 3 bikes, but as I have Hyundai Accent hatchback I think 2 with passenger and gear is the limit. I can pick you up at your house if you are along the route from NYC to Sutton and drop you off afterwards.

I'm not adverse to doing this alone and may do just that if no one joins me, albeit more cautiously, but a fellow rider or two with a similar mindset makes it way more enjoyable and let's face it, much much SAFER!

I know this post kinda sounds like a personal but I want to be clear if you commit that this be a joint effort, I don't want to feel like the ring leader 100% of the time. I'm quite flexible as long as we are on some good roads. I'd like to stick to the route as much as possible but if we find better routes then screw it, let's go. I've also been known to ditch the whole plan and just wander around:lol3

Who's with me?

devo2002 07-19-2012 06:54 AM

Bumpity bump, I hope my post didn't come off as a personal :lol3

8gv 07-21-2012 09:55 PM

A definite maybe...

Riding all day...check

Camping...check

Small dual sport...check (KLR250)

Getting up early...WTF is that shit all about???

ChrisRiedinger 07-23-2012 06:55 AM

Coming to the camp-n-ride this weekend @ pachaug? Look me up, Im 'interested'

Hope that doesn't sound too forward :lol3 :eek1

devo2002 07-23-2012 07:50 AM

Heh sounds good, I'll be on my 350 towed by my Hyundai accent.

bogboy 08-01-2012 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devo2002 (Post 19164943)
Bumpity bump, I hope my post didn't come off as a personal :lol3

You self centered one way SOB. , Anyway, I might be able to meet you up somewhere and do 2 days or something. Maybe NH and a bit of Maine depending on your schedule. This sounds great.

John

devo2002 08-01-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bogboy (Post 19259532)
You self centered one way SOB. , Anyway, I might be able to meet you up somewhere and do 2 days or something. Maybe NH and a bit of Maine depending on your schedule. This sounds great.

John

Excellent, I'll be in touch in another few weeks once we get closer to the end of September. If I gotta piecemeal some inmates together so be it, hump em' and dump style :rofl

I did some warming up over at the Pachaug trails this weekend for a camp and ride. If that is what I have to deal with as far as riding goes then I'm good to go. Maybe verifying the route and on the way back making an big bike "unfriendly" route would be an idea I need to entertain.:hmmmmm

guymanbro 08-05-2012 04:37 PM

I might be able to do this the week before the RedNEKevous. . . I'm attending CroMag the weekend before and thinking about making it a week long debacle. CroMag, then mystery riding, then RedNEK . . . I ride a bigger DS (KLR 650) but I ride it like a small bike cuz I'm a big fella.

It all depends on how my home demolition/renovation goes at the beginning of September.

devo2002 08-07-2012 10:33 AM

Sounds most excellent, let's hope the demoing goes well

8gv 08-07-2012 08:43 PM

How early?

devo2002 08-08-2012 04:54 AM

I have a feeling it may be later and later each day depending on how much we beat ourselves up :lol3, but I dunno, get on the "road" by 8:30 - 9ish? I've never done a week of dualsporting so wtf do I know except it's my only weeklong biking trip this year. Im a desk jockey so a light day in the middle may be in order:dunno

8gv 08-08-2012 05:29 AM

I just got done doing a week of the TET. We camped every night and got to bed late. When sundown is after 8 it's easy to get into a late to bed, late to roll routine, especially when you're tired from the pace of the ride. The time frame fame you're planning will likely afford a little more campfire time and an earlier start. I'll ask SWMBO and get back to you. I could be in for it all. Gotta practice for my TAT run.:D

devo2002 08-08-2012 10:06 AM

Thanks for the insight. Got any pics of your setup? I'm cramming everythIng into a backpack and wolfman endure saddlebags. Did a weekend test run and seemed to work ok, just need to find good tie down straps still.

8gv 08-08-2012 11:00 AM

Pics and ride report coming soon. Gotta do the photobucket thing first. Suffice it to say that I was carrying a medium size buffalo on the back of my bike which gave me a very light front tire. There was a lot of sitting on the tank on the dirt switchbacks.:eek1

8gv 08-08-2012 05:30 PM

Ghetto KLR250...

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/...v/4b5b637d.jpg

Still not wheelie capable.:cry

Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:05 PM.